Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th June 2014, 21:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Lateral support reduced, after fitting seat covers

Friends,

I have an Xcent and recently got the seat covers changed to art-leather from the same dealership i bought the car from.

The installation of the seat covers is Ok, except one issue which is bothering me a lot since i am not able to find a comfortable position while on the driver's seat.

I have noticed that the driver seat lateral support (side support) on both the sides has reduced a little bit, and even though i am slim but with long legs, the seat is not able to hold my frame completely.

Strangely, in the front passenger seat, i don't get this issue and seat seems a bit wider than the driver's seat, with the lateral support feeling just perfect.

The issue what it seems to me that the leather seat covers has been stiched from the middle over the oem seat cover. After stiching the installer has perhaps tightened the seat cover a big too much, which has resulted in reduced surface area at the top.

I see two solutions to the problem.

1) Loosen the strings and pins of the seat cover from underneath, so that the seat fabric is able to expand to it's natural position.
2) Interchange the front passenger seat (only base) with the driver seat base. Is that even possible, given the front seat has height adjust mechanism and passenger seat does not?

Will try to put a pic or two tomorrow to show the seats.

Meanwhile inputs appreciated..

Last edited by DCEite : 20th June 2014 at 21:43.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 22:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Lateral support reduced, after fitting seat covers

Not in specific to your problem, but when I switched to leather seats in the WagonR, I had told the folks at Ceralli to provide the same lateral support as before. Since the leather was stitched on top of the existing fabric, a little cushioning was provided at towards the sides of the seat. In the same way, the seat base was also made to slightly rise towards the sides thus giving a snug fit to the occupants. Since I am thin and my dad a little fat too much cushioning was not done.

I got this done since I saw the pictures of other WagonRs with seat covers and the seat would become either flat or even bulge in the center if the fit wasnt good.

If yours is the string type cover then I think as time passes by, the seats get adjusted to your body and it will loosen up by itself. If it doesnt, and you feel you are sitting on a rock then its better you get the covers refitted or loosened.

On the other hand, my SX4s leather is properly contoured since the existing upholstery was removed before the leather went in. I can vouch for this type of fitting since the comfort levels are greater, especially on long drives.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 23:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Lateral support reduced, after fitting seat covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Friends,

I have an Xcent and recently got the seat covers changed to art-leather from the same dealership i bought the car from.

The installation of the seat covers is Ok, except one issue which is bothering me a lot since i am not able to find a comfortable position while on the driver's seat.

I have noticed that the driver seat lateral support (side support) on both the sides has reduced a little bit, and even though i am slim but with long legs, the seat is not able to hold my frame completely.
Ready made seat covers always have this problem. They just don't fit as well as tailor made ones. tailor made ones require the seat base to be removed and are very snug fit. Ready made is just a slip on with some threads to hold in place.

Try loosening the threads but not on your own. Go to a seat upholstery guy and request him. Try Imperial or someone to see if they can set it right at a nominal cost.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote