Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd July 2006, 17:53   #1
BHPian

Smile K & N Filter for Santro ?

IM a newbie here
Have a 2002 Santro Zip Plus
Want to know if i can fit a K & N filter ?
What wud be the benefits and what is the cost ?
Where can i get it done in Mumbai ?
Thanks in advance for the info...
Ram
Pinnacle Realty
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 18:23   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh
hey pinnacle first off all welcome to the team-bhp family...hope uve a good time over here...yeah you can get the k&n filter in your car ......it increases the air induction in your car like if your stock air filter takes in 20cubic centimeter then the k&n air filter will take 100cubic centimeter...and it will increase the performance like the acceleration,and the increases something around 15-20bhp...thats all every car freak needs to have that.
cheers~~~
rishabh
Hey Buddy,

Appreciate the initiative but please stop helping people with wrong info.

@Pinnacle - Go ahead and fit the filter. I would recommend a conical filter with a nice intake pipe fitted to it, have the same on my Santro. Should give you approx 4-5% more power. Costs approx 3.5k

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 07:07   #3
BHPian

hey rishabh no offence but the bhp gain figures that you've mentioned are insane..under no circumstances can only an air intake system give you such a tremendous raise in bhp..so please get your facts straight before posting..cheers...!!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 11:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh
hey pinnacle first off all welcome to the team-bhp family...hope uve a good time over here...yeah you can get the k&n filter in your car ......it increases the air induction in your car like if your stock air filter takes in 20cubic centimeter then the k&n air filter will take 100cubic centimeter...and it will increase the performance like the acceleration,and the increases something around 15-20bhp...thats all every car freak needs to have that.
cheers~~~
rishabh
I am running to 4 season automobile ASAP.I want that 15 to 20 bhp in my 800. Fir dekhte hai hume kaun overtake karta hai..hehe.
On a serious note Rishab its impossible to get such gains.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 12:11   #5
BHPian

dont think it can raise that much bhps but then u'll will feel an increased acceleration in the car..Mileage almost remains the same..
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 14:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

" The Santro does not have a typhoon kit from K&N. However you can fit conical universal filters for the same. Price range for the package (Filter + Flange + intake pipe) from Rs. 5000 (approx) to Rs. 7500 (approx) "

thats what the Methods guy said to me.

Replacement filters would be cheaper.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 20:16   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
" The Santro does not have a typhoon kit from K&N. However you can fit conical universal filters for the same. Price range for the package (Filter + Flange + intake pipe) from Rs. 5000 (approx) to Rs. 7500 (approx) "

thats what the Methods guy said to me.

Replacement filters would be cheaper.
Hey,

It does not cost that much. Methods/ Four Seasons etc charge a lot more. You can easily fabricate a flange and pipe in Rs200-300 and the filter costs 3.5k upwards for the conical depending on what model you choose.

Viper
Old 24th July 2006, 22:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

It does not cost that much. Methods/ Four Seasons etc charge a lot more. You can easily fabricate a flange and pipe in Rs200-300 and the filter costs 3.5k upwards for the conical depending on what model you choose.

Viper
I knw boss. Saving 4.5k for my XIng
Old 24th July 2006, 22:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys, isn't the increase somewhere like 10-12%???

But whatever it is, its worth it.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 08:26   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Guys, isn't the increase somewhere like 10-12%???

But whatever it is, its worth it.
Hi,

That is the marketing part of the filter doing the rounds. Most people aroung do not know what mods give what power diff and in the absence of a dyno in India available to the general public we will not know. In reality IMO the max diff that you will get is approx 5% from a filter and intake pipe alone. It will vary with bigger filters and engines.

Viper
Old 25th July 2006, 20:22   #11
BHPian

Hi Viper,

I have been to the K&N website and they have various types of filters available. Dont you think fitting a performance filter or a Cold air intake filter will be able to increase the performance by 10%.

http://www.knfilter.com/cold_air_intakes.htm

Is it possible to acquire a high end K&N for my Xing Erlx which will increase the performace just by using the K&N product. what you think, may be the methods online are selling those products ?
princesri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 20:49   #12
BANNED

Hi,

I dont think so but can offer you a ride in my santro whenever you come to Mumbai which has only a filter with a custom intake in it. You can then decide for yourself how much diff it makes.

Viper
Old 25th July 2006, 21:28   #13
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesri1981
Hi Viper,

I have been to the K&N website and they have various types of filters available. Dont you think fitting a performance filter or a Cold air intake filter will be able to increase the performance by 10%.

http://www.knfilter.com/cold_air_intakes.htm

Is it possible to acquire a high end K&N for my Xing Erlx which will increase the performace just by using the K&N product. what you think, may be the methods online are selling those products ?
Here is an excellent website that gives you good info:

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

See the section titled: "Tuning" your engine -- how to get more power,
and the subsections on High-flow filters and High-flow exhausts. Here are some quotes from these sections:

Quote:
Again, like all these things, the claims of increased power can be hugely exaggerated. In truth, simply changing the air filter will probably add another 2 or 3hp to your engine. More air going in more easily means the engine management system will adjust the fuelling accordingly and you'll get a better fuel-air charge in the cylinder, resulting in a slight increase in power.
and

Quote:
Moving on a step from simply changing the filter, you can then start looking at intake upgrade kits, also known as cold air intake or induction kits. The basic idea with these is to make the passage from the filter to the engine less convoluted. When air is forced to go around corners, it causes turbulence which slows down the flow. By trying to make the intake pipes smoother and straighter, the idea is to give the air more chance to get to the engine and less chance of being screwed up in corners with turbulence. Cold-air kits normally remove the factory airbox from the car and poke the air intake into one of the front wings or right up front. The air in your engine bay is hot - really hot - and hot air is not conducive to good combustion. By routing the intake to somewhere where it isn't going to be sucking hot air from under the hood, you get cooler air going into your engine. Because cooler air is denser, you can get a better fuel-air charge into the cylinder than you can by simply changing the stock air filter. Cold-air intake kits can add another 3 or 4hp of raw power to the engine but more often than not, you'll notice an increase in torque lower down the rev range too.
and

Quote:
Adding a sports exhaust system like this can add another 4 to 5hp but you need to make sure you get one which is made by a well respected manufacturer with a good warranty. Because of the change in back-pressure, these exhausts can cause erratic engine problems on some cars that rely on a certain amount of back-pressure to operate properly. Note: back-pressure is the natural resistance to gas-flow in a normal exhaust.
It seems that the author of this website is suggesting a minimum of 9 HP increase from the 3 mods (air filter + intake + exhaust) suggested above. I am personally very much tempted to make these 3 mods + alloy wheels + tubeless tyres (165/65/R 13) on my Santro. I think I might just take the plunge with the tyre/wheels upgrade and just K&N replacement filter -- maybe air intake too, if good people are available to do the fitting, but I probably won't mess with the exhaust.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 22:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

nice find rks. Iwould vouch for the performance increae due to adding a K&N extreme ( on a lancer) + Iridium plugs!

wow! go ahead. get one.
Old 25th July 2006, 22:26   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Here is an excellent website that gives you good info:

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

See the section titled: "Tuning" your engine -- how to get more power,
and the subsections on High-flow filters and High-flow exhausts. Here are some quotes from these sections:

and

and

It seems that the author of this website is suggesting a minimum of 9 HP increase from the 3 mods (air filter + intake + exhaust) suggested above. I am personally very much tempted to make these 3 mods + alloy wheels + tubeless tyres (165/65/R 13) on my Santro. I think I might just take the plunge with the tyre/wheels upgrade and just K&N replacement filter -- maybe air intake too, if good people are available to do the fitting, but I probably won't mess with the exhaust.

Hi,

Very good find. I hope people are now convinced with the figures I gave.

Viper