Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 08:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

In May 2014 i bought a new Swift VDI from M/s Popular Motors, Trivandrum. During the purchase i asked them to install the Maruti Genuine Accessory roof spoiler alongwith other extras like steering wheel cover, undebody coating etc. They delivered the car with the requested Genuine Accessories installed.

>> Fast forward to August 2014 >>

On Aug 16th we went on a trip to Madurai temple via the NH7 and during the highway drive the spoiler became loose, but fortunately it didn't come off. We completed the trip without any other incidents.

So last weekend i decided to tighten the spoiler by myself and while going about it i noticed some rusting in and around the bolt holes drilled into the hatch door. Seeing this i decided to take off the spoiler and inspect the damages. Once the two bolts holding the spoiler down were undone the spoiler came off the roof easily, the grey VHB double side sticking tape used to stick the spoiler had lost its adhesion and kind of dried out at some places.

Once the spoiler was off i was in for a sad sight. The upper holes (slightly larger than an M6 bolt diameter) looked like it was punched through. It didn't look as if it was made with a sharp drill bit, most probably a blunt drill bit with some brute forcing was used. This caused uneveness/flex on the metal around the hole and the paint had chipped off. In a properly drilled hole in sheet metal using proper drill bits there should be and would be no flex on the metal around the hole and the hole made would not look like a punched hole with metal bending inwards.

It was also noted that the dealer used no kind of rust proofing (painting) on the exposed metal once the hole was drilled corrosion is beginning to set in on the exposed metal. Eventhough it is basic commonsense that exposed metal should be covered to prevent rusting the people who worked on the car never did anything to that effect. There is another set of larger holes under ones you see in the photo, but forgot to take pics of them since those didn't have this much corrosion.

Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-img_0318.jpg

Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-img_0320.jpg

Once the spoiler was off the car i made an interesting observation. Apart from the two bolt holes by which the spoiler was fastened there were 5 more embedded nuts in the spoiler body going from one end to the other! So in a proper installation the spoiler would be held down by not 2 but by 7 anchoring points as the design calls for. Its no wonder that the wind took its toll on the spoiler during the expressway drive, only 2 bolts at two end doesn't hold it down properly.

Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-img_0322.jpg

For one i'm happy that they didn't drill 7 holes on the hatch door because then there would be not 2 but 7 badly done holes and 7 rusting spots. But since i wanted to have that spoiler i really would have wanted 7 properly drilled and painted holes and a proper installation of the spoiler.

Alongwith each Genuine accessory that needs cutting or some kind of alteration there will be a template included with which correct holes/cuts can be made on the body, so i don't think 7 holes have to be made blindly. The MGA gear lock* i bought from MGP dealer have this template included in the package which shows where to cut the plastic surrounding the gear stick.

If i knew before that installation of spoiler would be installed improperly and would bring worries caused due to improper installation then honestly i would not have opted for the extras. When a customer chooses Maruti Genuine Accessory over after market third party items they do it with the belief that it will not damage the car and it will be installed properly and responsibly. I'm very sorry to see that the Maruti dealer has failed in delivering both. It pains when it feels like i paid extra to get my Swift damaged.

So would i do this again if i were to once again?
No. Just leave the spoilers in the dealer's rack and save me some worries and $$.

Does MGA means professionally and responsibly installed to your beloved new car?
From my experience No.


*Its another thing that the MGA Gear Lock is not yet installed because neither the Popular Maruti nor their service center can install it. I asked the dealer during delivery and i asked the service center during first service.
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 09:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,771 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Thats a very bad installation! I hope its Popular at Killipaalam. Dont they even know how to install a spoiler and gearlock? Used to be very good once upon a time!

Please drop a note to Maruti. As far as my experience with them goes, dealers get dealt with properly for any issues / blunders made like this.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 10:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,566 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Thanks for bringing this up Sankar. For my Ertiga too, I sourced a spoiler from one of my friends in Jammu who is a MGP/MGA Dealer for a discounted price and got that painted at my ASC.

When it was time for fitment, I carried the fitting instructions leaflet, along with all the adhesive tapes and bolts and nuts supplied as part of the box.

The ASC usually outsources these fitments either to their accessories department or the accessory shop next door specialized in this. In my case, it was the latter.

I was curious and I asked them will they be drilling so many holes to fit the spoiler (wish it was a clamp type fitment), they responded me that they would only need 2 holes to hold the spoiler for its weight.

They did not want to follow the instructions on the leaflet as it required so many holes and the job was tedious. I was a bit unhappy but glad that the Body shop manager arrived at the scene when I called him for this.

2 Holes were drilled on both the top corners, good amount of anti-rust liquid sprayed into them, spoiler placed and they used screws (no bolts) that secured the spoiler by self made threads on the car's roof as it was rotated clockwise. Once this was done, I had carried silicon gun from my electrical instrument collection and simply used it to cover the top of the screw generously so that there is no room for water/moisture to get into this.

In the end, Am I happy about the work done - Well no, but I am glad that the work was carried over in my presence and I was there to ascertain these silly but very precious elements that can ruin your car.

Here are a few pictures from the installation leaflet:

Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094324.jpg
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094332.jpg
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094355.jpg
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094401.jpg
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094417.jpg
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)-20140826_094424.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 10:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats a very bad installation! I hope its Popular at Killipaalam. Dont they even know how to install a spoiler and gearlock? Used to be very good once upon a time!

Please drop a note to Maruti. As far as my experience with them goes, dealers get dealt with properly for any issues / blunders made like this.
Yes it Popular Killipalam. Its amusing when the dealer themselves say that they cannot install a Maruti Gear Lock listed by Maruti on their website as genuine accessory and bought from their own dealer.

I emailed Maruti with the photos included but yet to hear from them. Mailed them on their contact@maruti on Saturday and mailed them on customer feedback@maruti yesterday.


@paragsachania Thanks for including the photos of the instructions leaflet. I never expected the kit to come with all these fasteners and clips! Too bad all of this including the instructions are wasted when trusting the authorised dealer or their representative to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I was curious and I asked them will they be drilling so many holes to fit the spoiler (wish it was a clamp type fitment), they responded me that they would only need 2 holes to hold the spoiler for its weight.

They did not want to follow the instructions on the leaflet as it required so many holes and the job was tedious. I was a bit unhappy but glad that the Body shop manager arrived at the scene when I called him for this.
The way these people think baffles me, of course 2 screws will hold it onto the body, but it will not hold it secure enough on high speeds. Thats why the package contains elaborate instructions and fitting accessories.

Quote:
2 Holes were drilled on both the top corners, good amount of anti-rust liquid sprayed into them, spoiler placed and they used screws (no bolts) that secured the spoiler by self made threads on the car's roof as it was rotated clockwise.
Did they use self tapping screws to install the spoiler. If it was self tapping screws i assume there was no nut used on the other side of the hole.

If they used self tapping screws it would be better if you can get it reinstalled using M6 bolt and nut because taking into account the wind force and vibrations acting on the spoiler the self taping screws is not good enough to hold it down securely when used on sheet metal. Self tapping screws in sheet metal are best used to hold down items which will not see large forces acting on it, like door speakers for example

Quote:
Once this was done, I had carried silicon gun from my electrical instrument collection and simply used it to cover the top of the screw generously so that there is no room for water/moisture to get into this.
Good idea

Quote:
In the end, Am I happy about the work done - Well no, but I am glad that the work was carried over in my presence and I was there to ascertain these silly but very precious elements that can ruin your car.
Yes avoidable mistakes like these can mar an otherwise good ownership experience. More frustrating it is when we think about the fact that the guys installing this had everything needed for a proper installation with them including hardware and instructions. Only the will to do it right was lacking. As far as the dealership is concerned it's somebody's car once it rolls off their showroom floor then its none of their concern.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 18:13   #5
BHPian
 
Grr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

This thread reminds of similar instance that happened with me.

Back in 2006, my father purchased a Maruti Suzuki Esteem and as a part of the deal, he was offered real spoiler.
I wasnt much aware of MGP concept and neither was my father. So, this dealer(Rana Motors, Tis Hazari, Delhi) fixed in a local rear boot spoiler. What followed was:

1. 25 months of ownership: considerable shade difference in body color and spoiler color and micro surface cracks in paint on spoiler.
2. 32 months of ownership:: The plastic of brake lamp which was a part of the spoiler became brittle and one fine day, the holding mount gave up and the light was dangling down like a dad rat tied to a thread.
2. 60 months of ownership: The entire boot lid was a casualty of rust. The rust infestation was there because the screws holding spoiler were not installed with a washer or with antirust treatment. The water kept on seeping in and the entire boot had to be replaced eventually.

Lesson learnt: Never to let anyone, be it ANYONE fiddle with my current car in my absence. It makes a whole world of difference when I stand there and ask every screw to be used, every tie clip to be tied at appropriate place and every washer to be used as intended.

End result: A rattle free, failure resistant satisfactory ownership.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 19:26   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Sankar
Agree with Grr7 about being there when the installation is done. 9 out of 10 times, the mechanic would want to get away by cutting a few corners here or there. That's because of their measurement system. They run timed jobs. And if they exceed the time for a given job - they are usually pulled up for it. Not only that, as part of cost cutting the time for each job usually reduces over months. So to start with they cut corners, now they cut more corners.
The way out? - Stand by the mechanic. Read instructions before the work starts. Question the mechanic about what he wants to do on your car before allowing him to proceed. And keep a close watch throughout the process.
Else, be prepared for shoddy workmanship.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 20:08   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

That is really very poor workmanship.
On the flip side, luckily it was so poor that you discovered it well in time before it could cause more serious damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Sankar
Agree with Grr7 about being there when the installation is done. 9 out of 10 times, the mechanic would want to get away by cutting a few corners here or there. That's because of their measurement system. They run timed jobs. And if they exceed the time for a given job - they are usually pulled up for it. Not only that, as part of cost cutting the time for each job usually reduces over months.
That is a very good point indeed. And in contrast to how most shops operate here in US. I was rear ended some time back by someone who did not have a US license. It was a very low speed impact but it left scratches on my car. Long story short they paid for getting a new bumper out of their pocket. Now, the shop where this was done gave me the labor estimate in terms of hours it will take to do the job. This in some ways ensures that no corners will be cut.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 22:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
This thread reminds of similar instance that happened with me.

Lesson learnt: Never to let anyone, be it ANYONE fiddle with my current car in my absence. It makes a whole world of difference when I stand there and ask every screw to be used, every tie clip to be tied at appropriate place and every washer to be used as intended.

End result: A rattle free, failure resistant satisfactory ownership.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
The way out? - Stand by the mechanic. Read instructions before the work starts. Question the mechanic about what he wants to do on your car before allowing him to proceed. And keep a close watch throughout the process.
Else, be prepared for shoddy workmanship.
I would have if i was getting it done post delivery of the vehicle, but this was a pre-delivery incident and since the dealer have a separate accessory fitting area which is not a part of their workshop i believed that they would do it properly, and yes i was a bit casual which was a mistake. Won't be getting any other cosmetic accessories from now onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is really very poor workmanship.
On the flip side, luckily it was so poor that you discovered it well in time before it could cause more serious damage.
True that, now i don't want to get the spoiler installed i just want to get the hole closed and painted. I have those holes covered with a cap head bolt currently.

Quote:
That is a very good point indeed. And in contrast to how most shops operate here in US. I was rear ended some time back by someone who did not have a US license. It was a very low speed impact but it left scratches on my car. Long story short they paid for getting a new bumper out of their pocket. Now, the shop where this was done gave me the labor estimate in terms of hours it will take to do the job. This in some ways ensures that no corners will be cut.
Here the authorised service mechs are paid by the number of cars they do in a day. So the quality of work will only go down.

--

Haven't heard from Maruti or their dealer yet, not sure if i would. But anyway i'm not putting that spoiler on again and would get the hole closed and painted in due time.

As far as i'm concerned the prime reasons for buying a Maruti is because of their Customer Support and availability of OEM spares through official channel. So i hope that they would deliver on the former if not then it will be one less reason to opt for Maruti next time.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,436 Times
Default Re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Extremely poor workmanship, but not really a surprise given how the A.S.S. industry as a whole works in India (cars processed, not job or labor hours posted), at least for the budget brands (I've never owned a premium branded car either myself or in the family). Maruti (or other reputed brands) may act tough with its dealers when complained against, but what's the use? They should instead ensure that their dealers aren't cutting corners on jobs in the first place.

Several mechanics at the local Hyundai dealership refuse to work on my car during a service visit (I've personally had at least TWO mechanics take the SA aside and have him assign my car to someone else) because I insist on jobs being done according to recommended instructions, and it hurts their daily quota of cars delivered.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:49   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

The sheet metal around the holes might have become irregular because the spoiler was fixed with two screws instead of 7. This might have caused constant vibration of the spoiler while the car was moving resulting in bending of the metal around the holes. Anyways, poor workmanship without common sense!
rama75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
...Haven't heard from Maruti or their dealer yet, not sure if i would...
You should be. These mails usually do NOT go un-attended. And Maruti would NOT call you back, the dealer should get in touch instead. In case there is a delay, I suggest you call up once and see the response.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 19:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default Re: Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Maruti (or other reputed brands) may act tough with its dealers when complained against, but what's the use? They should instead ensure that their dealers aren't cutting corners on jobs in the first place.
Exactly that is what is really needed. A QC guy over seeing the work, ensuring the job is done by the book. Eventhough Maruti has good customer care what i would really appreciate is not having to use it.

Quote:
Several mechanics at the local Hyundai dealership refuse to work on my car during a service visit (I've personally had at least TWO mechanics take the SA aside and have him assign my car to someone else) because I insist on jobs being done according to recommended instructions, and it hurts their daily quota of cars delivered.
Not at all surprising and quite sad to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama75 View Post
The sheet metal around the holes might have become irregular because the spoiler was fixed with two screws instead of 7. This might have caused constant vibration of the spoiler while the car was moving resulting in bending of the metal around the holes. Anyways, poor workmanship without common sense!
Very much possible and the hole isn't made cleanly either. So a blunt bit plus the forces acting on the spoiler has ruined the metal around. Common sense takes a back seat when the attitude is jugaad. Doesn't need any jugaad either because everything required for a proper installation is supplied in the kit. Its the attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You should be. These mails usually do NOT go un-attended. And Maruti would NOT call you back, the dealer should get in touch instead. In case there is a delay, I suggest you call up once and see the response.
I got a call from the customer care manager (CCM) couple of days after my last update, he said he replied to my email but it never reached me. So not sure if he did reply or not, but giving him the benefit of doubt. Anyway he asked me to bring the car to the showroom or the service center to get this solved, but being the Onam week i couldn't. But anyway i'm not getting the spoiler re installed so decided to leave it.

Today i gave my car for servicing and had asked for the sealing of the hole made for spoiler installation. I tried calling the CCM to make sure that the work goes well but couldn't get him and on checking found that he has taken the day off. So its being done and will update when i get the car back.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th September 2014 at 19:29.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevy Spark spoiler, roof rails ritz830 Modifications & Accessories 7 14th August 2010 01:45
SX4 with MGA body kit (skirts & spoiler) iTNerd Modifications & Accessories 116 6th September 2008 20:03
Roof top Spoiler for my hatchback and modifications stevie Modifications & Accessories 6 6th June 2006 17:26
Aluminium Spoiler or Body Colored Spoiler v.tec Shifting gears 3 9th March 2006 13:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks