Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2006, 13:28   #1
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Esteem camshafts

Hi, anyone using peformance cams for MPFI esteem ? if yes :
1] which brand ? and are you using the car for daily use ?
2] what's the duration,overlap in degrees etc,are they reground or new ?
3] are you still using OE valves and valve springs ?
4] any changes to the fuel and ignition system ?

just wanted to know if this can be done reliably ? and how many guys are running such engines ?
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 13:52   #2
BHPian
 
Ford Rocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-India
Posts: 880
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Contact our own fellow bhpian Viper he had once installed performance camshaft in his esteem from Piper U.K Bp285 it was a regrind though with stock valve train, i am not sure weather it was Mpfi or carburatted.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 14:46   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Am using one for our non MPFI Esteem:
1] which brand ? and are you using the car for daily use ?
Custom for dragging only, not for street
2] what's the duration,overlap in degrees etc,are they reground or new ?
280+ Custom
3] are you still using OE valves and valve springs ?
No
4] any changes to the fuel and ignition system ?
Twin Webber DCOE's, with a custom ignition curve

However am aware of friends running 245's to 285's on other MPFI esteems and zens
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 15:58   #4
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
Hi, anyone using peformance cams for MPFI esteem ? if yes :
1] which brand ? and are you using the car for daily use ?
2] what's the duration,overlap in degrees etc,are they reground or new ?
3] are you still using OE valves and valve springs ?
4] any changes to the fuel and ignition system ?

just wanted to know if this can be done reliably ? and how many guys are running such engines ?

Hi,

I had been using Piper Cams on both my earlier Carb esteems. They were custom profiled to something near a BP 285 spec. They were reground at Piper as they do not have off the shelf cams for almost all Indian cars barring the few recent ones like Skodas etc which use the same engines as in europe.

Had used OE valves with double valve springs. I had used an MSD 6AL Ignition system complete with coil and plug wires. and a high pressure fuel pump.

Am currently running a custom profiled cam from Piper on my 2006 MPFI Getz.

All the cars modded were daily drives with power coming in as early as 1700-1800rpm.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:02   #5
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

gr8 ..we got some hardcore tuners out here ..

after reading your posts ..seems there is no reliable way to mod our cams..
even if i get a custom cam reground there would be now way to get the corresponding valve springs and valves right.. and the fuel pump and injectors would be even harder to find ...

so Viper/Psycho did you guys use some kind of a OBd2 scan tool to get the fuel trims,pulse width etc or wideband based AFR readings to come to a conclusion ...to recalibrate the ignition timings and the fuel pressure
..I just wanted to how u guys manage to do such stuff ?

By the way did you guys do the degreeing yourself or gave it to some tuner ?
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:54   #6
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
gr8 ..we got some hardcore tuners out here ..
Ahem ahem .. I guess psycho likes to be called a "hobbiest" instead .. Right kesh ?? Sorry couldnt resist this post .. Getting back to cams now , from what i had researched and psycho's advise its best not to go for any profile more than 265 for street use unless u like ur car to idle like a tractor .. That said , is the cam design on the swifts and the esteems the same ??
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:17   #7
BHPian
 
diven_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hey guys....a friend of mine "says" he's running baleno cams on his esteem...so......it is a done thing???does it increase performance????
btw his car his fast...came 1st in mumbai speed run.....mihir dharkar
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:47   #8
BHPian
 
z klasse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diven_b
hey guys....a friend of mine "says" he's running baleno cams on his esteem...so......it is a done thing???does it increase performance????
btw his car his fast...came 1st in mumbai speed run.....mihir dharkar

A Baleno cam has an extended socket for the cam sensor which does not fit into the esteem as it has a distributor setup compared to the DIS unit of the baleno. For the baleno cam to fit into the esteem, you need to machine off the extended part off the cam and then only it will fit. Note: only a qualified person will be able to do it. Also the baleno and esteem cam specs are the same. They differ by probably 2 degree.
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 16:10   #9
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
A Baleno cam has an extended socket for the cam sensor which does not fit into the esteem as it has a distributor setup compared to the DIS unit of the baleno. For the baleno cam to fit into the esteem, you need to machine off the extended part off the cam and then only it will fit. Note: only a qualified person will be able to do it. Also the baleno and esteem cam specs are the same. They differ by probably 2 degree.
While most of what u said is true .. Using the baleno's cam (which is distributorless ignition type) to fit on the esteem is quite a hassle worth avoiding .. However im not quite sure if the difference between the esteem and the baleno cams is just 2 degrees apart .. Its much more than that or so im told .. However the swifts and the esteems are just about 3 degrees apart .. Also since the baleno runs a lower profile cam than the esteem or the swifts beats me to it asto why would anyone want to replace it with it ..

Is mihir back to driving ?? I heard he has sustained a few injuries sometime back ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 19:18   #10
BHPian
 
Sideways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madras - India
Posts: 641
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Hi Chetan

You might want to check out the following link

http://electraperformance.com/camshaft.htm

for further details contact Krupesh patel - 98840 49268
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:24   #11
BHPian
 
z klasse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
While most of what u said is true .. Using the baleno's cam (which is distributorless ignition type) to fit on the esteem is quite a hassle worth avoiding .. However im not quite sure if the difference between the esteem and the baleno cams is just 2 degrees apart .. Its much more than that or so im told .. However the swifts and the esteems are just about 3 degrees apart .. Also since the baleno runs a lower profile cam than the esteem or the swifts beats me to it asto why would anyone want to replace it with it ..
..
I do not know about the swifts but I do know that the baleno cam and esteem cam is approx 2 degree apart. Yes it is avoidable to do the swap. You rather get a cam regrinded or get one from someone who has made it. The cams are almost identical. Also depends on what engine mods you have and what sort of driving you want the cam for. Then you can get a cam redone and put it on.
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:42   #12
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
I do not know about the swifts but I do know that the baleno cam and esteem cam is approx 2 degree apart. Yes it is avoidable to do the swap. You rather get a cam regrinded or get one from someone who has made it. The cams are almost identical. Also depends on what engine mods you have and what sort of driving you want the cam for. Then you can get a cam redone and put it on.

Hey,

As per Maruti Udyog there are other differences in the camshafts besides the extended socket. Its a diff ball game if you have a completed modded ride and your tuner is experimenting and has struck gold. Like you rightly said needs a qualified guy to do the job and a good tuner to get the timings right.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:07   #13
BHPian
 
z klasse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

As per Maruti Udyog there are other differences in the camshafts besides the extended socket. Its a diff ball game if you have a completed modded ride and your tuner is experimenting and has struck gold. Like you rightly said needs a qualified guy to do the job and a good tuner to get the timings right.

Viper
Off topic but Maruti Udyog and all their service mechanics dont know much than the basic service of the car. If you ask them technical data such as cams and cam gears being the same throughout the range of the cars they dont know. I mean they arent supposed to know more than their service basics but even there are alot of parts that are used across most of the maruti range, some I know of are cam gears, throttle body, IAC, clutch etc... Some of these components are same for a few of the maruti cars.
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 08:21   #14
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
Off topic but Maruti Udyog and all their service mechanics dont know much than the basic service of the car. If you ask them technical data such as cams and cam gears being the same throughout the range of the cars they dont know. I mean they arent supposed to know more than their service basics but even there are alot of parts that are used across most of the maruti range, some I know of are cam gears, throttle body, IAC, clutch etc... Some of these components are same for a few of the maruti cars.

Hi,

I agree with your view point on Maruti service mechanics but would tend to disagree on your comments on the common parts. I know for a fact that the clutch, throttle body is definately different for almost all models save a few. In any case I think we are going off topic.

Lets not hijack this thread. At the end it is a learning experience for all of us here and lets share and part with whatever info we have so that the Tbhp members can benefit from them.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 09:37   #15
BHPian
 
z klasse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

I know for a fact that the clutch, throttle body is definately different for almost all models save a few. In any case I think we are going off topic.

Viper
Well I know of this as I have used the 1, 1.3 and the 1.6 litre engines and have used common parts for 1 and 1.3 and some for the 1.6. Anyways lets not go off topic... For a cam you need to know what sort of engine modification is done then only you can get a cam for it. For Suzuki's that is. For Honda's, Mitsubishi's you get most parts which are tried and tested. But for some Suzuki cars you have to make as per your spec. Another requirement is that its good to have an adjustable cam gear.

Last edited by z klasse : 4th August 2006 at 09:38.
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Esteem fuel pump(mpfi) in esteem-carb tank techn0l0gist Technical Stuff 0 13th June 2009 22:03
zen v/s esteem speedsatya Street Experiences 8 13th September 2004 02:18
Spray painted Esteem!! X-Machine Shifting gears 4 12th August 2004 01:23
My Esteem Design nikibusa Shifting gears 7 12th June 2004 03:02
1989 fiat vs esteem bevada Street Experiences 7 15th May 2004 22:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks