Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 21:23   #211
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 842
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
The LCD screen acts as RVM and sits on the original RVM. At night the vision in this RVM is severely affected. If there any any vehicle without headlight, you would not see it on the RVM. And if it is raining, as it was here in Bangalore yesterday, you would've had it. I had to manage with the left and right side RVMs.
my cars lcd mirror can be switched on and used as a rearview mirror
since you have the night vision camera why not use it while driving at night and in the rain
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 21:46   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Something I've never understood-- can the range of these parking sensors be easily adjusted? Parking in my colony can be VERY tight and if the sensors beeped as soon as there was an object within say 10 cm, they'd be useless to me... I'd need them at around 2 or max 3 cm range!
wow, that's TIGHT. my car moves more than 2-3 cms after putting in park, putting parking brake on and then leaving the brake.

to answer your question, i don't think you can change it. but my sensor starts with low beeps and slowly turn to a solid beep when i am very close. see different models and something might suit your requirements.

EDIT: @Nitvin, you can add another RVM bracket on your windscreen if you wish. look for a spot which you normally don't need in driving. I have two RVMs in my car, one stock and an extra for watching the kids.

EDIT2: @dockap, the rearview camera normally points downwards to check the distance. it will not show the cars coming from behind.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 5th May 2009 at 21:50.
vivekiny2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 01:53   #213
BHPian
 
Perakath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
wow, that's TIGHT. my car moves more than 2-3 cms after putting in park, putting parking brake on and then leaving the brake.

to answer your question, i don't think you can change it. but my sensor starts with low beeps and slowly turn to a solid beep when i am very close. see different models and something might suit your requirements.
Yep, really tight! I'm allowed a little extra space to maneuver in and out, because I don't have power steering and the Zen's bonnet is larger than the neighboring Santros, Swifts, A-Stars, and WagonR, but it's still a matter of a few centimetres.

I was taught never to turn the wheels with the car stationary, but if that's not done there's no way to get in or out of such tight parallel parking spots :(

I manage without sensors because the Zen's a hatch and so I can gauge distances with good accuracy... I don't know how the neighbourhood Indigo manages though!
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:07   #214
BHPian
 
NiTviN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Congrats NiTviN,

Can you share the price of the package, also what did you do with the 4th sensor ?, have they reduced the cost of that sensor from the package or it is lying with you.
Thanks sharma_sanjeevi. Price for the whole package is Rs. 14300. I got it installed from the Red Soul Company Distributor. So the installation was very professional and no installation charges were levied. The sales manager changed the black colored sensors to body colored ones (Golden Beige) at no extra cost. Also he changed the LCD screen from 6" to 7" at no extra cost. I have the 4th sensor with me. He said the cost of a single sensor is hardly 200-300 bucks, so I thought of keeping it with me. In case I need to replace any of the exisitng one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
If they are ready to change it for you, you can always go for the on dash variety, but that could be a lot smaller than the mirror type. The one on dash I saw here was only 3.5 inch in size.
Even I saw 3.5" ondash. But in the manual they have shown a 7" on dash LCD. So I will check with them whether they can get me a 7" ondash thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekyni2k
EDIT: @Nitvin, you can add another RVM bracket on your windscreen if you wish. look for a spot which you normally don't need in driving. I have two RVMs in my car, one stock and an extra for watching the kids.
I like this idea. Thanks. In what position have you installed the second RVM? And on which car? Is it simple to install a 2nd RVM or you need to drill holes etc? Pls post pics if possible?
NiTviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 13:37   #215
BHPian
 
sharma_sanjeevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 566
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

[quote=NiTviN;1290504]Thanks sharma_sanjeevi. Price for the whole package is Rs. 14300. I got it installed from the Red Soul Company Distributor. So the installation was very professional and no installation charges were levied. The sales manager changed the black colored sensors to body colored ones (Golden Beige) at no extra cost. Also he changed the LCD screen from 6" to 7" at no extra cost. I have the 4th sensor with me. He said the cost of a single sensor is hardly 200-300 bucks, so I thought of keeping it with me. In case I need to replace any of the exisitng one.

Thanks for the update buddy, 14300/- seems to be a good deal, i also enquired with Redsoul pune branch, they told they will get back to me with the contact information of Mumbai dealer, awaiting their call.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:52   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post


I like this idea. Thanks. In what position have you installed the second RVM? And on which car? Is it simple to install a 2nd RVM or you need to drill holes etc? Pls post pics if possible?
i will try to take a pic today. it's installed just above the OEM RVM, there was little space after avoiding the visor's movement. I got a mirror with mount (a small metal piece) for around 13 USD and RVM glue at autozone for 3 USD. the glue is used to stick the mount and then the actual mirror is fixed on top of it. if you need to take it out, all that remains is the mount.

if you see this, you can realize how small the mount would be, which means the glue has to be applied with a alot of caution.

Name:  4dad_1_sbl.JPG
Views: 2279
Size:  8.6 KB

EDIT: I have a minivan (nissan quest) with a huge windscreen. you will have to be a little creative if you have a small car.
vivekiny2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 21:24   #217
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 842
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
EDIT2: @dockap, the rearview camera normally points downwards to check the distance. it will not show the cars coming from behind.
depends on where you fit the camera
i have mine above the number plate and it gives a wide view of the rear starting from the area near the bumper to the road and vehicles behind
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 13:25   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
depends on where you fit the camera
i have mine above the number plate and it gives a wide view of the rear starting from the area near the bumper to the road and vehicles behind
Even when it is fitted in the centre of the bumper, the view is similar and can be used for regular rear view.

Can you post a view of the rear view image on the mirror with the camera on, please?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 13:25   #219
BHPian
 
NiTviN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
i will try to take a pic today. it's installed just above the OEM RVM, there was little space after avoiding the visor's movement. I got a mirror with mount (a small metal piece) for around 13 USD and RVM glue at autozone for 3 USD. the glue is used to stick the mount and then the actual mirror is fixed on top of it. if you need to take it out, all that remains is the mount.
Thanks, I will wait for the pic. I will ask the red soul guy about the feasibility of this option. I have a a Tata Safari. So there is ample space to fit a second RVM. But I dont want it to look shabby and cluttered.
NiTviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 19:00   #220
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Myth about wireless sensors

For the Wireless Parking sensors, the link which you have mentioned, seems to be a good product, but there is no mention of the Number of Parking sensors are they 2 or 4, nothing is mentioned, may be calling up the rediff customer care to have more information.

@sanjeev, I have enquired about wireless parking sensors. Firstly, from international experience, it is a misconception that wireless sensors dont require drilling holes. These come with protruding antennae which have to be hidden using holes on bumber. Only benefit is that wires dont flow through the body of car as its wireless.

Secondly about cost differential. These sensors are priced upwards by atleast 40-50% of price of with wire sensors. As such, these are meant for western affluent markets like europe where installation charges are quiet heavy. So, its a sort of DIY thing for them. I dont think we lesser mortals in India would ever dream of paying for installation around here.

Personally, I am cool about sensors with wires. WHat's the harm if I get it done from a reliable mfr at a cheaper price.
prateekool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 01:25   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

i found the display or rear camera stuck on RVM to be very distracting, so moved it to dashboard front of speedometer. in daytimes it gives nice view almost in line of sight to front view but at nights the lights from rear vehicle is bit disturbing. i wish it had a switchable night mode option. by the time it auto adjusts to the light the view keeps changing so its not useful.

can anyone having night vision camera post the pictures?

how are the wireless sensors receiving powersupply?

Last edited by gigy : 13th May 2009 at 01:27.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 10:32   #222
BHPian
 
sharma_sanjeevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 566
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekool View Post
For the Wireless Parking sensors, the link which you have mentioned, seems to be a good product, but there is no mention of the Number of Parking sensors are they 2 or 4, nothing is mentioned, may be calling up the rediff customer care to have more information.

@sanjeev, I have enquired about wireless parking sensors. Firstly, from international experience, it is a misconception that wireless sensors dont require drilling holes. These come with protruding antennae which have to be hidden using holes on bumber. Only benefit is that wires dont flow through the body of car as its wireless.

Secondly about cost differential. These sensors are priced upwards by atleast 40-50% of price of with wire sensors. As such, these are meant for western affluent markets like europe where installation charges are quiet heavy. So, its a sort of DIY thing for them. I dont think we lesser mortals in India would ever dream of paying for installation around here.

Personally, I am cool about sensors with wires. WHat's the harm if I get it done from a reliable mfr at a cheaper price.
Hi Prateekool,

Thanks for the update, as far as i have heard for the Wireless Paking sensors, they are glued to the backside of the cars bumper through a glue tape.

Yes, i agree on the pricing that they can be costly as you told 40-50% from normal ones. Also heard they are not available in india.

Yeah, you are right why not go for the wired ones, if we get them installed professionally at a cheaper price
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 23:09   #223
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,930 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The lowest range I have seen so far is 0.3m. I don't think there is any sensor kit lower than that.
Vikram, which sensor has 0.3m range? Any details of brand and such?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 23:15   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Vikram, which sensor has 0.3m range? Any details of brand and such?
Redsoul has this range

Last edited by amitk26 : 19th May 2009 at 23:20.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:28   #225
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I have a JVC EXAD HU which has provision to connect a reverse cam so that the display is on the HU LCD. But how and where can i procure a camera alone? are reverse cams available without the screen?
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror? libranof1987 Modifications & Accessories 15 16th September 2016 18:14
RedSoul reverse sensor marathp Modifications & Accessories 0 18th October 2010 18:19
Cam Sensor-Crank Sensor-TDC Sensor. Are They The Same Thing? genesis Technical Stuff 8 5th October 2009 11:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks