Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th November 2009, 12:43   #316
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
I would appreciate an input from those who have a IVRM mounted parking sensor screen. Or should I go for the MGA parking sensor with only sound?
Take a look, though this is for sensors and mirror:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1387646 (Reverse camera or Sensor ?)
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:50   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Take a look, though this is for sensors and mirror:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1387646 (Reverse camera or Sensor ?)
Thanks trrk, I had seen your post earlier. As you may have read in mine, I am referring to a non-camera visual output as a graphic accompanied by beeps that the dealer is offering. Will such a mirror affect rear view visibility at night. And have you heard of Crosslinks in this field. They are good in the electronic locking systems, but I do not know them for parking sensors.

Also, what would your personal opinion be if a choice was to be made between an MGA sound only device, and a sound+graphic display of a non MGA device even though fitted by the Maruti dealer.
vivprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 15:37   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

A few days back I booked a white SX4 ZXi MT that would be delivered shortly.

An accessory that I am considering, but told the dealer that I would confirm later, are the parking sensors. .....

I would appreciate an input from those who have a IVRM mounted parking sensor screen. Or should I go for the MGA parking sensor with only sound?
Go for the one with a display. Just sound will not give you proper judgement. Also these parking sensors with display are available in the market. You need not go with the one dealer is suggesting. Most of them are in the range of 3 - 4 K. Display problem (Only in night times visibility in the RVM is slightly low) exists only with the ones where the display is right in the middle of RVM. There are other types where the RVM is actually a mirror and display portion in only at the bottom. This type should not create any problem. Have you considered going for a rear view camera?
NiTviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:31   #319
BHPian

For my Maruti Ritz, I got a Red Soul reverse parking sensor with a small dash-mounted LED display. The installation was carried out by Red Soul technicians at their location.

For details you may see my posts dated 09 Nov 09 and 10 Nov 09 here (My very own first car - Ritz Zxi or i10 Asta? EDIT: Booked Ritz Zxi.) .

Apart from the LED display showing the distance, it also has a voice prompt.

Personally, I did not want anything to be clipped on to the Stock RVM.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 19:09   #320
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Also, what would your personal opinion be if a choice was to be made between an MGA sound only device, and a sound+graphic display of a non MGA device even though fitted by the Maruti dealer.
Definitely with a visual display just like NitVin has suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Personally, I did not want anything to be clipped on to the Stock RVM.
I would sincerely take the above advice if you have choices.

And a sensor + camera would be ideal especially for an SX4, I think. Here again you have models which ahs separate dash mounted displays.

I shifted to a sensor cum camera system from the 'free' sensor only system fitted at the dealership for my CVT. The camera works excellently. Some one here has also fitted a separate on off switch for the power to the camera / LCD and is always ON if needed. So he uses the parking camera as a regular rear view camera. Good idea!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 23:13   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
.....And a sensor + camera would be ideal especially for an SX4 .....
Quite true (not only for SX4 but any car). If money is not a constraint, one can go in for a 2 DIN AV center with a 7" Display and reverse camera input. No seperate display unit jutting out of the dash will then be needed.

For me Red Soul has agreed to provide the reverse camera and feed it to the HU whenever I get one of my choice. (This will be in addition to the existing unobliquitous LED distance display sitting at one corner of the dash). I am going slow on it for obvious reasons. moolah.

I am also looking for GPS enabled 2 DIN unit in addition to the reverse camera input. There is atleast one Kenwood unit KVT 614 with a Garmin-made module as a Kenwood accessory. I presume the Garmin maps for India should work with this. Research is on.

So finally it will be a three-in-one. AV center+Reverse camera + GPS.

I do not know whether any one here already has such a working system.
Old 20th November 2009, 07:29   #322
BHPian

Thanks trrk, Nitvin, Ponmayilal

Quote:
Definitely with a visual display just like NitVin has suggested.
Point taken, shall go for one with visual display.

Quote:
I would sincerely take the above advice if you have choices.
And a sensor + camera would be ideal especially for an SX4, I think. Here again you have models which ahs separate dash mounted displays
The Crosslinks sensor that the dealer showed has a display right in the middle, which is what made me apprehensive reagrding rear view visibility.

I shall have to find a dealer in Lucknow for the camera sensors, but I cannot visualize where would the screen be mounted on the SX4 dash.

Quote:
Quite true (not only for SX4 but any car). If money is not a constraint, one can go in for a 2 DIN AV center with a 7" Display and reverse camera input. No seperate display unit jutting out of the dash will then be needed.
The money is always a constraint especially when you are anyway investing 8 L plus in a car.

Can I then wait for a couple of months, hunt around for a good sensor, maybe in cities other than Lucknow, and get the same fitted at the time of first service? Frankly I am doubtful of a good outlet in Lucknow for such things. There is an area where lots of shops sell lots of car accessories but one cannot be sure about the genuineness of the product. But buying from other cities would mean if there is a problem, how does one handle warranty.

Also, I have read in many posts, and the situation is not very clear. If I have a sensor fitted from an outside source, other than the dealer, what happens to the SX4 warranty itself?
Old 20th November 2009, 13:09   #323
BHPian

Is the Parking Dynamics PD1 or any other electromagnetic system available in India?
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:00   #324
BHPian

vivprasad, these parking sensors or rear view camera systems are available in big cities very easily. You need not buy it right away. It can be installed later by the seller. Its a straight forward thing. Will not void warranty. They dont cut any OE wiring. Do your research and check out few models before you invest. Even I feel that the RV camera is better suited for SX4. I have a combination of RV Camera and sensors for my Safari. The sensor also shows me the distace to the obstacle. Sometimes there may be a small stone or a tall grass which may make the sensor to beep and show a wrong reading. In that case RV camera is very useful.
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:02   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
vivprasad, these parking sensors or rear view camera systems are available in big cities very easily. You need not buy it right away. It can be installed later by the seller. Its a straight forward thing. Will not void warranty. They dont cut any OE wiring. Do your research and check out few models before you invest. Even I feel that the RV camera is better suited for SX4. I have a combination of RV Camera and sensors for my Safari. The sensor also shows me the distace to the obstacle. Sometimes there may be a small stone or a tall grass which may make the sensor to beep and show a wrong reading. In that case RV camera is very useful.
Thanks for a very crisp response NiIviN. I saw it today on coming back to Lucknow after 3 days (Bombay and Delhi). I guess thats what I will do. Wait a little, scout around, and then decide. Tentatively, my SX4 is slated to be delivered on December 11.

By the way, what make of sensors do you have, and they have served you well for how long.

I have to be in Bangalore in the last week of December. Could you recommend one/two good accessories dealers where I could go and check the gizmo.

This question is also addressed to trrk and Ponmayilal. Thank you
Old 24th November 2009, 09:55   #326
BHPian

When in Bangalore, you can directly visit the showroom/office of Red Soul Enterprises Pvt. Ltd., at #14&15, Dr.Omar Sheriff Road, Basavanagudi, Bangalore 560 004 Ph: 080 41632121/22, Mobile: +91 9980288776, 9980488776, e-mail: info@redsoul.biz, Web: Under Construction (currently under reconstruction) and get to see all their current products including an "out-of-the-car" demo. (see also msdivy's post dated 13 Jul 09 in this very thread.) Red Soul has branches in Chennai, Secunderabad and Pune.

I bought and got it installed there at a discount of 20% on MRP.

No need to visit any other dealer/s unless you are interested in seeing other available products in the market.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:58   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
When in Bangalore, you can directly visit the showroom/office of Red Soul Enterprises Pvt. Ltd....
+1

I second that. If in Bangalore, just goto Red Soul and buy it. I also have the sensor and reverse camera system bought and fitted by them. I have been using it since about 6-7 months and so far there are no issues. They do a very neat job of installing as well. Visit their head office mentioned by Ponmayilal. You'll get the best price there and free installation. There is a Sr. Sales Manager, Chaithanya who is very good in explaining various products and he will help in deciding a proper fit for your requirement.

Last edited by NiTviN : 24th November 2009 at 14:01.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:48   #328
Senior - BHPian

Guys here is my feedback after 1 year of Red Soul.

I have 4 sensors + Cam in My Safari and I was kinda used to the beep-beep sound but once it failed to detect a low stone wall and I reversed my vehicle breaking the bumper and 8000 Rs damage ( 4275 for bumper + bumper painting + tail reflector)

It was my fault that I reversed too fast without looking in to OVRM but last 1 year hearing the beep was developed this habit.

While Cam helps to reduce the blind spot in SUV parking sensor can build a false confidence and may result in costly damages.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 14:58   #329
BHPian

Thanks Ponmayilal and NiTviN for your input.

I shall certainly visit Red Soul at address provided. I shall discuss with them, and also with the dealer here if they can fit the accessory. While I shall be in BLR for a few days, my car would stay on in LKO, so there is no way Red Soul can do the fitting. I shall have to procure it in BLR and have it fitted in LKO.

Sorry to hear about your damage, amitk26. Yes, as Cromwel said: Have faith in God, but keep your powder dry. One has to remain alert even while using aids.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:41   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your damage, amitk26. Yes, as Cromwel said: Have faith in God, but keep your powder dry. One has to remain alert even while using aids.
Trust me dependency is addictive and comes as a reflex so I would say in a 3 box seaden where you don't have a blind spot it is pretty useless and waste of money to install the sensors.

But if in case you want the sensors then try Xenos from Spar Hyper mall in Koramangla , It is 3k+ change and comes with a bumper cutting drill bit , Any installer will install it for you in 250 Rs.

Red Soul service is pathetic despite high cost. I payed 14 K , 1.5 yrs back ignoring a similar no-name system at much lower cost.

I called them to reinstall the Camera after the mishap after change of bumper but the guy failed to turn up finally got the camera installed from a local guy.

All these sensor units are actually china made and re branded by resellers such as Xenos or redsoul so no real difference in quality.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote