Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 11th May 2015, 12:24   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

I installed the TRW's Shocks on my Civic. I installed them both for front and rear. My car had already done around 65k and the original shocks were showing signs of weakness. I have driven the car for almost 3k kms after the install and I'm impressed. My basic reason for shifting to TRW's was the fact they are more stiffer than the original setup. I had found the ride quality of stock Civic to be little on softer side and with this change that issue has been resolved. The handling also has improved for good. Didn't wanted to spend too much and for that matter TRW's fitted my bill perfectly.
Overall pretty satisfied with the result.
saurabhkum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 20:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Dear coolboy007. Clocked ~4000Kms on TRW.I only changed the rear struts especially to get rid of the famous thud. The thud is no more there. Only sometimes when its too rough, there is a mild thud. But nothing like the sickening noise that use to be earlier. But now i think, the fronts have become soggy. Planning to change them as well. Overall, i feel Vento suspension should have matched the build quality of the car. My car is about to reach 30K now. I didn't find any issues in other areas. Engine as expected is still pumping out brute force.

The suspension has only got softer with every facelift. Its surprising that while hyundai is moving away from its traditional soft suspensions VW seems to be doing otherwise.
My 2011 polo had a better suspension honestly.
Are there any warranty issues if the suspension is changed? Mine is a new Vento TSI and wondering when would be the right time to go for a change.
Where did you get yours changed? VW or external garage?
How much do either of them charge for the change?
Detroit-Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 00:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Dude View Post
The suspension has only got softer with every facelift. Its surprising that while hyundai is moving away from its traditional soft suspensions VW seems to be doing otherwise
Even i am wondering about the same thing. VW have buried their head inside the pit called "ride quality". They are going softer with every facelift and this is one of the reasons why i always consider Polo/Vento's handling to be above average at best. Running on stock suspension, the car starts pitching/bobbing at high speeds over undulations, especially the rear suspension in Vento which thuds even while crossing speed humps.

Quote:
Are there any warranty issues if the suspension is changed? Mine is a new Vento TSI and wondering when would be the right time to go for a change.
Where did you get yours changed? VW or external garage?
How much do either of them charge for the change?
No issues and neither will VW ever know which struts you are running at the rear. The suspension warranty is just 6 month/10,000 kms so it is as good as useless. I got mine changed at 35k because the rear suspension was totally shot by then. To change or not is your decision buddy, if you have got used to the soft rear and can manage with it, then carry on for a few thousand miles.

Will update the thread in a week after thorough testing but i have switched to OEM Skoda Rapid front struts in my car and running TRW rear struts. Nothing wrong or faulty with TRW front ones but the rebound was very very sharp and the rebound control was not proper + the ride was pretty harsh with my 55 profile S drives.

The front suspension in Polo/Vento is quite good, it is the rear where VW have messed up and TRW rear struts are much much stiffer than the stock struts. No undue bouncing, no thuds and the car feels much more composed.

I got the work done outside at a FNG and he charged me just 300 INR for rear struts install and it took just 30-35 mins (time taken to open a job card at VW workshops). VW would have said no to after market parts, charged me atleast thrice or four times and waste my full day)

Wait for my verdict but the best compromise in ride/handling according to me is OEM front Rapid struts + TRW rear struts .

Last edited by coolboy007 : 13th May 2015 at 00:34.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 22:47   #34
BHPian

Thanks coolboy! I clearly remember a similar soggy suspension issue with my 2011 Vw polo. I managed to solve the problem by keeping the tyre pressure at 34 psi believe it or not. The steering felt heavier and there was no unwanted bounce over undulations either. However the same solution did not work on my new Vento. It continues to be soft and I can hear the front left side suspensions too over uneven roads.
My first week with the Vento was the last for my dear Polo. Miss the steering feel and stiff handling on that one.
Any idea of some good garages in Mumbai where I can get the struts and install them?
Detroit-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 05:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Quote:
Any idea of some good garages in Mumbai where I can get the struts and install them?
Polo does have a slightly stiffer rear end and better handling thanks to the short wheelbase.
Would advise you to stick with oem front struts for now and only change the rear ones to TRW, you will feel a huge difference.

Regarding suspension noise, if you are referring to hissing sounds then it is normal.
As per a member on previous page,he bought the struts online via spareshub and had a pleasant experience. Am sure they will deliver to Mumbai as well.Check team bhp mumbai directory and am sure you will find a competent garage to fix it, am from Delhi so no clue about Mumbai, sorry. Fixing rear struts is very very simple and hardly takes 30 minutes, nothing to worry. Model number for rear struts is in the opening post.
Let me know if you need any help.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 14th May 2015 at 05:18.
Old 11th June 2015, 22:17   #36
BHPian

hey coolboy! clocked close to 1800 kms till date. close to getting the rear struts changed. very annoying rear thud sound! the stock suspension is best with passengers in the back. howz ur experience with the new struts so far?
Old 12th June 2015, 00:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey coolboy! clocked close to 1800 kms till date. close to getting the rear struts changed. very annoying rear thud sound! the stock suspension is best with passengers in the back. howz ur experience with the new struts so far?
I have completed over 7000 kms on the rear TRW struts and have no issues or any thing to complaint about. The rear thud is non existent now and more than the thud which gets solved with rear trw's, you will love and enjoy the much more stable/planted stance your car will have. Vento has a pretty soft rear and it bobs badly over undulations.

As the TRW's are much stiffer than oem rear VW struts, there will be a slight reduction in ride quality so be prepared for it.
Old 21st June 2015, 23:30   #38
BHPian

Coolboy! What is the psi that u maintain on your vento.. front and rear?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th January 2016 at 19:40. Reason: Typo.
Old 21st June 2015, 23:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coolboy! What is the psi that u maintain on your vento.. front and rear?
I am not running on stock tyres as i have recently upgraded to Yokohama S drives in 205/55 R15. These tyres are handling oriented with a stiff sidewall so i maintain 31 front and 29 rear which gives the best of ride and handling for my car.

When i was on 195/60, i used to keep 32 front and 30 rear. Never drove on stock 185/60 R15 size so no clue about them.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th January 2016 at 19:40. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 7th November 2015, 10:41   #40

Coolboy, have there been any updates on the status of the TRW struts on your car. I just purchased a complete set from spareshub.com and yet to install them on my Vento. Just wanted to do know your experience over time before I go ahead with installing them.

My car has run 56k kms and I have lately observed a very bouncy ride (the flatness is non-existent). The car is currently running on Michelin P3ST 195/60s for the past 16k kms and car has diligently undergone cycles of tire rotation, wheel balancing and wheel alignment, so the tyres are in very good shape.

Were there any other parts that needed to be changed when your car went through the suspension overhaul ?
lakhanironak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 18:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhanironak View Post
Were there any other parts that needed to be changed when your car went through the suspension overhaul ?
Hi, the TRW's are doing their duty just fine. As i had mentioned earlier, i had changed the front struts to OEM as the ride had turned too harsh with my 55 profile S Drives (205/55 R15). Still have the rear TRW struts and i love them, i would have sold this car long back had i not found this cheap fix for the bouncy rear, i was sick n tired of the constant pitch/bob this car had over undulations.

My car had clocked around 35k kms when i changed the struts, also got the link rods/anti roll bars changed to TRW and the strut mounts were worn as well. My car is close to 47k kms and changed the lower arm bushing last month as they were worn out. A set of lemforder bushings cost 1200-1300 and 500 labour to fix it.

Before changing struts, get your strut mounts, link rods, lower arm bushings checked as all these parts have a life of 50-60k kms.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 12:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

My car had clocked around 35k kms when i changed the struts, also got the link rods/anti roll bars changed to TRW and the strut mounts were worn as well. My car is close to 47k kms and changed the lower arm bushing last month as they were worn out. A set of lemforder bushings cost 1200-1300 and 500 labour to fix it.

Before changing struts, get your strut mounts, link rods, lower arm bushings checked as all these parts have a life of 50-60k kms.
Thanks for the prompt response. I got the car checked at the ASC and they recommended a change of Lower Arms along with the struts. I would be going ahead with changing lower arm bushings from a FNG.

The engine mount in my car is also due for a change. Will be getting this done from the ASC.

I had a question regarding the Strut Mounts. Where did you source these mounts from ? Is there a kit which includes the buffers, bearings, dust covers and mounts ?

I called AutoLinks Pune, they are the importers for TRW in the west zone and they recommended installing a Febi Bilstein Strut Mount Kit (includes buffers, bearings and mounts) which costs about Rs. 2400 for both left and right front struts.

Is it recommended to change strut mounts for the rear too ? The mechanic at the FNG said it isn't required.
lakhanironak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:53   #43
BHPian

Default VW Vento - Issues with changes in OEM suspension over the years

Hi,

I never thought my first post would be about an issue, but here we are. I own a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI, that is a 2010 High line variant.

I was very happy with the car until recently. For all these years my car has had OEM suspension, including the shock dampers. The front ones were German, made by FKG, and had the part number 6R0 413 031 AJ. The rear dampers were Czech, made by Monroe, and had the part number 6RU 513 025 A.

Paired with my 195/60 R15 Yokohama C-Drive tires, and 34 PSI of nitrogen in each tire, the handling and overall ride of the car was flawless; neither harsh nor overly soft.

However, recently I had to have the shocks replaced and they were replaced with VWs made in India shocks, bearing part numbers 6RF 413 031 C and 6RF 513 025, respectively for the front and rear shocks. They were replaced at two separate instances, first the front shocks. I did not notice much of a difference, until rears were changed afterwards.

The car also has had the complete suspension overhaul, which included new control arms, lower ball joints, anti-sway links, anti-sway bar bushes, strut mountings, strut bearing plates, upper strut top mountings, rear shock bump stops. New nuts were used, whichever available, and everything was torqued to spec.

Only after changing the shocks, I noticed the car jumps and bobs around on rough roads, as many Polo and Vento owners may have noticed. The car is no longer planted on the road, and it feels like a completely different car altogether. I have tried to explain this to VW customer care, and they directed me to the dealer, who claim the parts are functionally identical to the earlier parts. This was their senior service manager, who I have always known to be hell bent on defending VW India. I've driven the car for over 85,000 kilometers, so far, and I tried to make them understand that, but they refuse to do so.

I've laid emphasis on the fact that VW India cannot decide to radically alter a car, as per their wish. Moreover, I was never informed the dampers are not similar to the earlier ones, before installing them.

I'm not sure what recourse I should try. Should I try emailing VW India MD?

Apart from that, I've been thinking about selling these shocks and getting TRW or Sachs dampers, but I'm not really sure about that. I do not want the car to feel extremely sporty, like a BMW 320d E90, but just have a nice balance between handling and ride quality, like before.

Considering Monroes may not be (easily) available in India, and FKGs may not be there in the aftermarket at all, what do you suggest? I have tried searching around a lot. I'm pretty much stuck.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 14:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento - Issues with changes in OEM suspension over the years

Please refer to my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vw-vento.html (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento)

VW India have shifted from made in Germany shock absorbers to Made in India shock absorbers by Gabriel. While that may not mean much, they have gone for softer damping over the years and this is the reason why you hate the new dampers.

The front dampers are fine and you do not need to change them, it is the rear where VW have totally messed up as they are extremely soft and the car bobs like crazy over undulations. Get a set of TRW rear shock absorbers for your car, they cost around 4k and you would not be disappointed. They are much stiffer than oem shocks and you would love the stable/planted ride, that irritating "thud" from rear over speed breakers/undulations is also solved.

Volkswagen is becoming the new Hyundai, they are making the suspension softer every year while Hyundai is making it stiffer.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 20:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Always better to change all 4 corners - lest you have unbalanced damping, which IMHO you will. Best to change all.

I have a Vento Highline TDI with 38K on the clock, runs perfectly no issues with suspension, yes the brake pads & rotors are going to need changing in another 5000 kms

Cheers

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote