Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th May 2016, 20:29   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post
Hi,
How is the struts performing after a reasonable long term usage? I am planning to upgrade to TRW struts on my Civic and your inputs will be very helpful.
Yes they are doing pretty well. The bounciness has reduced a lot and so is the sagging.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:23   #62
BHPian

I recently discovered more about the suspension changes in Vento. The imported shocks I have are rated for vehicles with sports chassis, at least the rear Monroe ones. I have also discovered my car has different coil springs than other cars I checked. The number of paint marks and their colors indicate a specific coil spring, which likely corresponds a distinct part number for the coil spring.

Apart from that, as with sports chassis, the sway bar links are also different than vehicles with standard chassis. The reason I had the thick and heavy sway bar links, with stiffer ball joints on their ends, favtory installed, seems to be clear now.

I am working on finding out if the sway bar rubber bushings are different for sports chassis, as I am aware of at least 3 OEM bushings with slightly different part numbers.

Having said that, I would like to mention that these imported VW OEM shocks may not work as well, with the coil springs on newer cars, that are rated for a standard chassis, due to the possible and likely spring rate differences.

Another thing I have recently found out is the different kinds of rubber buffers/bump stops/spring aids used on the rear shocks. I am aware of 3 different OEM rubber buffers, which are different in size, shape and also hardness/stiffness. These little things alter the spring rate of the coil springs, so it may be better to have the entire suspension "matched" for the right setup.

This is all super complicated, but I thought I would share my findings here.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 2nd June 2016 at 09:43.
halfbytecode is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 11:45   #63
BHPian

Friends, a quick question.. how do I know that my struts need replacing? I own a 4yr old Rapid and have run over 85,000 kms. Reading the forum suggests that this should be definitely due now, but the service advisor has not suggested these yet. He could be correct but I would like to confirm?
Dan9ie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 14:09   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9ie View Post
Friends, a quick question.. how do I know that my struts need replacing? I own a 4yr old Rapid and have run over 85,000 kms. Reading the forum suggests that this should be definitely due now, but the service advisor has not suggested these yet. He could be correct but I would like to confirm?
I would like to know as well. My Rapid has done 97000 kms on stock struts. I am planning to sell the vehicle by August, do you think I should be changing them before selling.
onedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 19:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9ie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post
I would like to know as well. My Rapid has done 97000 kms on stock struts. I am planning to sell the vehicle by August, do you think I should be changing them before selling.
If your cars do have identical shocks as Vento with heavy duty running gear, it is possible the shocks are still good and may still continue to work. A service advisor told me a Vento had the rear Monroe shocks changed at nearly 1,60,000 kilometers on the odometer. I have not heard specifically about the front ones though, but I would not be surprised if they match the Monroes in terms of life as well.

The signs of bad shocks for me have been weak rebound, and even pretty much nonexistent rebound, while driving the car. After going through the potholes, the affected shocks do not allow the car to regain the normal ride height almost instantly, as in the normal condition.

A visual check did also help me determine a bad shock. Presence of prominent oil stains or even a fully wet shock for a badly worn shock. This was the case for the gas-assisted shocks.

Furthermore, it is likely you would feel "play" from the affected wheel, in case the shock piston is abnormally moving sideways, as opposed to the usual up and down movement. This may be rare, but it does happen sometimes.

There are other indications too, but that is all I can tell from my experience with these shock absorbers.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 23:44   #66
BHPian

More findings about my 2010 Vento 1.6 TDI High line (with ABS) . I seem to have very similar suspension as export cars, at least Russian Polo Sedans of the same time.

Same coil springs and shock absorbers. Front coil springs part number 6R0 411 105 F, front shock absorber part number 6R0 413 031 AJ. Rear coil springs part number 6R0 511 115 G, rear shock absorbers part number 6R0 513 025 A/6RU 513 025 A. Sway bar links 6Q0 411 315 N (now cancelled by VW).

The PR numbers for the front are G33 + L42, and for the rear, 1JL + 0YB. (G33 is heavy-duty running gear)

The rear shock absorbers are rated for cars with sports suspension on VW's parts ctalog ETKA (written as "sports chassis"). Maybe even the coil springs, could not confirm due to incomplete data.

I was led to finding more about this, after comparing my car with a 2016 version side by side. The ground clearance on the 2016 one was way more than my car, which was on the stock tires, as compared to 195/60 R15 tyres on my car that increase the ground clearance by 6 mm, if I'm not wrong, over the stock 185/60 R15 tyre size. The 2016 version seemed like a crossover/SUV going by the ground clearance.

Anyway, the suspension on my car offers great traction (albeit for running on snow, I feel), due to stiffness of coil springs and shock absorbers. This consequently results in great braking power, and cornering abilities. Not to mention, the heavier steering wheel. I'm comparing this to the new shock absorbers once installed on my car, as in 2016 version I saw.

On the flip side, this suspension is not as good as driving in pot holes. The suspension helps controlling the car well, with the great dynamics. You can drive around the potholes, and over elevated areas of potholes, without ruining the fun ride of the car.

Anyway, I just thought I would put this here, if someone finds it useful.

P.S. VW seems to have over 35 types coil springs for Vento. Now I just think, every Vento I see crossing me by, has different coil springs. Facepalm! My head may explode. Lol

Last edited by halfbytecode : 4th August 2016 at 23:49.
Old 5th August 2016, 01:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
More findings about my 2010 Vento 1.6 TDI High line (with ABS) . I seem to have very similar suspension as export cars, at least Russian Polo Sedans of the same time.

Same coil springs and shock absorbers. Front coil springs part number 6R0 411 105 F, front shock absorber part number 6R0 413 031 AJ. Rear coil springs part number 6R0 511 115 G, rear shock absorbers part number 6R0 513 025 A/6RU 513 025 A. Sway bar links 6Q0 411 315 N (now cancelled by VW).

The PR numbers for the front are G33 + L42, and for the rear, 1JL + 0YB. (G33 is heavy-duty running gear)

The rear shock absorbers are rated for cars with sports suspension on VW's parts ctalog ETKA (written as "sports chassis"). Maybe even the coil springs, could not confirm due to incomplete data.

I was led to finding more about this, after comparing my car with a 2016 version side by side. The ground clearance on the 2016 one was way more than my car, which was on the stock tires, as compared to 195/60 R15 tyres on my car that increase the ground clearance by 6 mm, if I'm not wrong, over the stock 185/60 R15 tyre size. The 2016 version seemed like a crossover/SUV going by the ground clearance.

Anyway, the suspension on my car offers great traction (albeit for running on snow, I feel), due to stiffness of coil springs and shock absorbers. This consequently results in great braking power, and cornering abilities. Not to mention, the heavier steering wheel. I'm comparing this to the new shock absorbers once installed on my car, as in 2016 version I saw.

On the flip side, this suspension is not as good as driving in pot holes. The suspension helps controlling the car well, with the great dynamics. You can drive around the potholes, and over elevated areas of potholes, without ruining the fun ride of the car.

Anyway, I just thought I would put this here, if someone finds it useful.

P.S. VW seems to have over 35 types coil springs for Vento. Now I just think, every Vento I see crossing me by, has different coil springs. Facepalm! My head may explode. Lol
This is really interesting. So your car has the suspension for the Russian export model which is completely different than the Indian Version?
I mean is it like a one off? or VW sort of mix maxed things with different batches?

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 09:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
This is really interesting. So your car has the suspension for the Russian export model which is completely different than the Indian Version?
I mean is it like a one off? or VW sort of mix maxed things with different batches?

Rachit
If I understand this correctly, I got this car before VW localized the shock absorbers in India, and ETKA has a date for when the made in India shock absorbers were introduced, which is the end of August 2011, if I recall correctly.

All cars manufactured before that may have suspension similar to my car, putting aside the differences for Trendline units, which lacked ABS. Nonetheless, there could still be differences in suspension components for different cars of that time. For example, VW has the standard suspension/"chassis" shock absorbers not manufactured in India, that could have been used on other cars. Other owners of those cars could confirm this.
Old 5th August 2016, 20:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
If I understand this correctly, I got this car before VW localized the shock absorbers in India, and ETKA has a date for when the made in India shock absorbers were introduced, which is the end of August 2011, if I recall correctly.

All cars manufactured before that may have suspension similar to my car, putting aside the differences for Trendline units, which lacked ABS. Nonetheless, there could still be differences in suspension components for different cars of that time. For example, VW has the standard suspension/"chassis" shock absorbers not manufactured in India, that could have been used on other cars. Other owners of those cars could confirm this.
Ok. Thank you for the explanation.
Mine is October 2011. My front left shock has very minor oil leakage and I have been advised to get it replaced.
Honestly I am finding it very difficult to choose as to what I want to put next. I mean, I can go with whatever VW puts in as replacement, I can go for TRWs or I can ask VW to get me the one's that you have in your car provided my car can support it. The issue is you cannot decide till the time you drive a car that has these installed.
Lets see, I am sort of tilting towards getting it replaced from VW only. The only apprehension is the reliability and life of the Indian made one's.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 01:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Ok. Thank you for the explanation.
Mine is October 2011. My front left shock has very minor oil leakage and I have been advised to get it replaced.
Honestly I am finding it very difficult to choose as to what I want to put next. I mean, I can go with whatever VW puts in as replacement, I can go for TRWs or I can ask VW to get me the one's that you have in your car provided my car can support it. The issue is you cannot decide till the time you drive a car that has these installed.
Lets see, I am sort of tilting towards getting it replaced from VW only. The only apprehension is the reliability and life of the Indian made one's.

Rachit
Well you can have VW spare parts people look up the part numbers for the shock absorbers that were factory installed in your car. Parts with numbers beginning with "6RF" are made in India parts, at least the ones I have seen so far.

You should be in a better position to make your decision at that point. I would also suggest you to ensure the VW guys replace the suspension components in pairs, along the same axle.

Feel free to ask me, if you have any further questions.

Edit: Forgot to mention that a distinguishing factor in the ride quality between Indian shock absorbers I had, and the imported ones I have, is the ride was too soft with the former. The reliability of Indian shock absorbers, I had, is not good, busted a front one in about 15,000 kilometers. The German ones lasted for about 55,000 kilometers prior to that.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 6th August 2016 at 01:21.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 00:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The OP has already got new VW OE dampers for the front, i have been running with VW OE front + TRW rear struts for over 10000 kms now and the handling/ride is just perfect. A bit stiffer than stock but the car rides F-L-A-T.

Had tried Trw front struts too but my ride turned too jittery with them on.

Would answer your questions one by one :

1. The TRW's are holding just fine, i keep looking for a leak when the car is hoisted up on a ramp for washing/alignment and the dampers are doing fine, there is no loss of damping ability so far.

2. My stock shocks lasted 34000 kms and these TRW's have done just 14-15k kms so far, no idea as to how long they would last. We need to wait for that, do not think these would give up early. The TRW dampers feels better built and look better compared to cheap looking OE Gabriel dampers.

3. It is not harsh but it is quite stiffer with 55 profile S drives, those with 195/60 R15 do not need to worry. You do loose the low speed plushness with TRW as they are not soft like OE VW dampers.

4. There is just no comparison between Vento and Fiesta. That Ford is in a league of its own when it comes to ride/handling. Fiesta just glides over every thing and still handles beautifully, the ride is great and handling is mind blowing. Only D segment sedans can compare to Fiesta's ride quality. I recently got a 320D and believe me that the Ford is so damn close to 3's handling despite being 1/4th of the price, it is unbelievable.

Hey coolboy! Thanks to your advice. I finally got my Vento OEM rear struts changed with the TRW struts yesterday after 10,000 kms. Got them from autokartz.com for Rs 2700 a piece and installation labor of 1000 bucks.
There is a noticeable change in ride quality. The rear seems much more quiet on the roads so far. Will keep posted once i do more miles on this new setup.
Detroit-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 14:05   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Dude View Post
I finally got my Vento OEM rear struts changed with the TRW struts yesterday after 10,000 kms. Got them from autokartz.com for Rs 2700 a piece and installation labor of 1000 bucks.
Hi!

A couple of quick questions: Where did you get the struts installed? VW Workshop (they refused to use external parts on my last visit)?

In case that is not possible, can you recommend a good workshop? I am also in Mumbai.

Thanks!
Ashish
Annibaddh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 17:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Hi!

A couple of quick questions: Where did you get the struts installed? VW Workshop (they refused to use external parts on my last visit)?

In case that is not possible, can you recommend a good workshop? I am also in Mumbai.

Thanks!

Ashish

I got it installed at Sk motors Nerul. They are good and charged me 800 bucks to install. It takes a max of 30 mins. Forget the VW workshop.
Detroit-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 15:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhanironak View Post

I called AutoLinks Pune, they are the importers for TRW in the west zone and they recommended installing a Febi Bilstein Strut Mount Kit (includes buffers, bearings and mounts).
Hi can you DM me the no. for autolinks need to order the same for my vento.
abhishek_rait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 23:53   #75

AutoLinks Pune : +91-7083870858

I bought the kit from Opera House, Mumbai cant remember the shop's name though.
lakhanironak is offline   Reply With Quote