Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th December 2012, 19:53   #61

Default Gear Shift Lock for Maruti Zen 2005 LXI

Hello,

I have sourced an Autocop U-type gear shift lock for my Zen from Delhi. It is a 2005 LXI model. I took it to the Autocop service center in Seshadripuram, Bangalore since they refused to come over and install it. However, after spending about 2 hours, I was told that the base plate of the gear lock that I have purchased will not fit and that from 2005 onwards, the gear fitment has been changed. So the 2005 Zen will apparently have the same fitment as in the new Zen Estilo. Could some one please confirm this? What exactly is the difference between the Zen 2005 and the Estilo in this regard? I will really appreciate it if someone can share some pointers.

PS: They have completely torn way the packaging and so it may not be possible for me to return it. I had confirmed with them before actually purchasing that it would be as per the old zen. For reference, these are the pics of the bracket of the gear lock I have purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-20121228_193205.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-20121228_193231.jpg  

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-20121228_193305.jpg  

RLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 13:04   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?

Guys, I am in urgent need of at least one additional safety device in my cars. Please suggest what are the current preferences for gear locks and steering locks. My location: Mumbai
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Guys, I am in urgent need of at least one additional safety device in my cars. Please suggest what are the current preferences for gear locks and steering locks. My location: Mumbai
I got this one off snapdeal - feels sturdy enough and fits just perfect.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spee...al-lock/630053

Also, do use your 'stock' steering lock too . I have seen folks using all sorts of locks but forgetting to use the stock one.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 18:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I got this one off snapdeal - feels sturdy enough and fits just perfect.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spee...al-lock/630053

Also, do use your 'stock' steering lock too . I have seen folks using all sorts of locks but forgetting to use the stock one.
Thank you. How effective are these really? A dealer claims a minute to take it off. He is proposing a gear based lock for approx 5k instead.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. How effective are these really? A dealer claims a minute to take it off. He is proposing a gear based lock for approx 5k instead.
It takes a minute to take it out IF one has the key for the lock.

It takes about 5 minutes to cut the metal with an angle grinder or a motorized metal cutting machine BUT it is impossible to do so when parked and attempting to steal. This acts as a visual deterrent.

However, the steering lock is ineffective when the vehicle is towed in its front wheels. In this case, the Gear lock would be more effective.

In reality, both act as visual deterrent to a thief.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 21:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gear based same kinda lock or a gear 'lever' lock - the kind that locks your gear lever. Usually the gear lever locks cost upto 1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
... In reality, both act as visual deterrent to a thief...
Exactly. These locks are not meant to be your only anti-theft measure. They are just visual deterrent(s) - so as to lead the attacker to the next car which would require his lesser effort. If one is hell bent on stealing a particular car and he has peace and no hurry, he will in all probability be able to break off all the added locks.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 20:08   #67
BHPian

Hi,
I'm looking for a reliable Gear lock and/or steering lock for my EcoSport Automatic. Are there any options in Pin type gear lock? Also, how aesthetically pleasing U type lock would be? Also, any good brands in these locks?
Secondly, I came across this product on snapdeal. Has anyone used it? Or are there any better options for steering lock?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/cart...lock/949712903

Sorry to be sounding like a paranoid but it's election time and demand for cheap/stolen vehicles has increased manifold. One of my colleague's Swift got stolen even after having all that fancy electronics.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 27th January 2014 at 20:11. Reason: Elaboration
TSIched'Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a reliable Gear lock and/or steering lock for my EcoSport Automatic. Are there any options in Pin type gear lock? Also, how aesthetically pleasing U type lock would be? Also, any good brands in these locks?
Secondly, I came across this product on snapdeal. Has anyone used it? Or are there any better options for steering lock?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/cart...lock/949712903

Sorry to be sounding like a paranoid but it's election time and demand for cheap/stolen vehicles has increased manifold. One of my colleague's Swift got stolen even after having all that fancy electronics.
This acts as a visual deterrent and reduces chances of theft by say 60%. The best thing would be telematics. But a telematics device that can disable the fuel pump/ECU and render the car non-drivable. As i have mentioned on another thread, the best way is to set a perimter on the telematics device and lock the vehicle ECU thru SMS when you receive a permiter breached (theft) alert. the top end model costs 20,000/- MAX. Rs 20,000/- is Protecting your 12 lac investing
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This acts as a visual deterrent and reduces chances of theft by say 60%. The best thing would be telematics. But a telematics device that can disable the fuel pump/ECU and render the car non-drivable. As i have mentioned on another thread, the best way is to set a perimter on the telematics device and lock the vehicle ECU thru SMS when you receive a permiter breached (theft) alert. the top end model costs 20,000/- MAX. Rs 20,000/- is Protecting your 12 lac investing
Hi Bharath,

Can you please share some product brand name for this, I tried searching with Telematics, but no luck.

Thanks
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 11:42   #70
BHPian

I found this selling at Rs.800/- online. How good is this thing? Any first hand experiences? I am planning to purchase one for my ritz.

Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy?-speedwavcarsteeringpedallocksdl5108875261aea8c.jpg   <div style=
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 16:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I found this selling at Rs.800/- online. How good is this thing? Any first hand experiences? I am planning to purchase one for my ritz.
Don't wont to discourage you but in most cars steering wheel can be removed under one minute.
Even any amateur thief can do it , just right size spanner to open the steering nut is required,
Procedure is simple pull out horn pad, open nut, pull out steering wheel , remove this bar put back steering , tighten the nut , push the horn-pad back and drive away.

Gear lever lock is better option.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th October 2014 at 16:55.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 14:11   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1297345
I had this type of gear lock in 1998 when i had my gypsy. During winter months i used to keep the vehicle open and remove the doors as well. Thus, had installed this type of lock.

I used to study in Navi Mumbai and used to take a train to the dental college from VT where i used to park the gypsy.

One day when i came back, this device was removed and was placed on my seat with a note: "iska koi use nahin, hahaha"

And it wasn't broken. Still worked with the key.

Since then i parked next to a food vendor who would use the rear seats as a seating arrangement for his customers and would make sure everything was clean by the time i returned.

He would be more happy in the monsoons when the soft top would be back on.

Things we do to protect our cars i say.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 14:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
One day when i came back, this device was removed and was placed on my seat with a note: "iska koi use nahin, hahaha"

And it wasn't broken. Still worked with the key..
Agree with Tejas here. I opened such lock in my friend's 800 with my hostel almirah keys back in 2000! Do not waste your money here IMO. Gear lock is much better alternative.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:17   #74
BHPian

I plan to buy a gear lock for my grand i10. I came across this: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spar...r/671155133443

Request members to let me know if its worth buying and if it will fit grand i10. Is there anybody who has used this?
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote