Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd August 2006, 11:03   #1

Hi,
I am new to Team-BHP and I am quite happy to see such a huge community who love their cars ! I have been through all the 76 odd pages of posts and I could not find any specific thread for the Tata Sierra TURBO.

I own a 1999 Tata Sierra Turbo and if I may say so myself, it is in very very good condition.It is a very well maintained vehcile without any mods ( well . . so far at least ). I just keep the Old Man happy with oil changes every 5000 Kms.

I am hoping the experts here can provide some advice as to what you would recommend for some increased performance. And some pointers for some Exterior mods will also be appreciated.

The first and second gear is a bit sluggish but other than that I love the Sierra. Maintainence has been easy so far and I have faced some electrical problems and some small clutch issues all of which was fixed with minimal expenditure. The body has developed some creaks over the years but it is still sturdy !

I am no expert ( I guess thats why I am here ). All recommendations are welcomed ! Any filters ? Stickers ? interior ? Exterior ? Anything.

I am based in Bangalore.

munish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, nice to see a decent Sierra Turbo. A close friend still has one (over 150K driven) and is very happy with it. The first and second gears feel sluggish only because of the turbo lag.

The best way to make your Sierra look better would be:

1. Refurbishing the interiors and exteriors.
2. Better alloy wheels.
3. Nice bull bar with fogs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:02   #3

Hey,
Thanks for the opinions. Much appreciated. Bull horns and fog lamps. Hmmm ! I am also thinking of painting it black. What say ?

And I don't think Pete's performance kit works on the Sierra. No ECU No work ( acccording to Pete ).

Would filters help ? Any way to " reduce" the turbo lag ?
Old 22nd August 2006, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munish666
I just keep the Old Man happy with oil changes every 5000 Kms.
Man....you referred the Sierra as male....I like you already. I get really sad when I remember MY old Sierra...hunted heaven and hell for a Turbo 4x4 to replace my N.A, but couldn't find one. Examples such as your baby makes me happy every once in a while....

As for the modifications, if you are looking for some serious steroids, here's what you could do:

A) The Safari's G76 has slightly different ratios, alongwith a traditional backward-pull H-type reverse gear pattern- as opposed to the dogleg push-type reverse gear you have right now. You can go for the Safari's gearbox. The ratios are shorter, and lags will no longer be a problem. Cost (new gearbox) : 40K, approx.

B) Go for a Pipercross/ K&N CAIK filter system (cold air induction,/typhoon air intake), with the plumbing pointed to a hood scoop. You'll get a certain RAM-AIR effect above 80 kmph, it'll keep the engine bay cooler, and you'll get better induction. Don't forget to add a mesh under/behind the scoop to keep out foreign particles and avoid water as much as possible. Cost : 15-16K approx.

C) Go for a LPG induction system. Acts like NOS; only NOS is for petrols. LPG is for diesel. Get it done from an expert. You can watch the bewildered faces of Octy and Merc owners as you blast past them. Cost : 40K, approx.

D) With all that power, you need better traction too. Go for the Safari 4x4's LSD. The Safari's axle by itself is lengthier; you'll have to replace just the diff. mechanism, including partial housing. Cost : 20K, approx.

All these mods will grant new life and some serious juice into your baby.

Now for some exteriors:

A) Get the Safari 4x4's 15 inchers and 265/70 rubber. Else, repaint the existing wheels and change to MRF 265/70. This will make sure that the overall diameter and actual area are altered minimally, such that the wheels don't hit the wheel wells under driving/turning. Also, your bearings won't be under stress, and your offsprung weight will be minimal. Approx cost : 40K, if you go for the tyres and wheels. 20-25K, just for tyres and existing alloys repaint.

B) Paint all the black parts to body colour, including bumpers and wheel arches. Cost: 2-3K.

C) Get the clear lens front headlamps from the 207. Cost: 2-3K

D) Aluminium footsteps from Safari. Cost: 2.5K.

E) A Black U-bar in front, with small, powerful xenon Hellas. Cost :12 K, approx.

There are more.

In case you're wondering why this post has been so lengthy, these were some of the mods I had in my mind for my Sierra. Alas...Still, it would be great to see someone actually do these...

Last edited by veyron1 : 22nd August 2006 at 21:45.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 01:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
C) Go for a LPG induction system. Acts like NOS; only NOS is for petrols. LPG is for diesel. Get it done from an expert. You can watch the bewildered faces of Octy and Merc owners as you blast past them. Cost : 40K, approx.

D) With all that power, you need better traction too. Go for the Safari 4x4's LSD. The Safari's axle by itself is lengthier; you'll have to replace just the diff. mechanism, including partial housing. Cost : 20K, approx
Veyron, can you elaborate more on item C. Never heard of it. And did the Safari really come with an LSD as standard?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 01:51   #6
elf
BANNED

IMHO - Please leave the colour as it is - you have a great one on your Sierra. Black would make it look old & boring.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 08:27   #7

Hey !
All the advice is much appreciated. Of course the Sierra is Male. It is a crime to call it anything but that

The Black U bar and the K&N filter is def on top on my list. Will the filter help much in the case of a diesel vehicle ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Man....you referred the Sierra as male....I like you already. I get really sad when I remember MY old Sierra...hunted heaven and hell for a Turbo 4x4 to replace my N.A, but couldn't find one. Examples such as your baby makes me happy every once in a while....

In case you're wondering why this post has been so lengthy, these were some of the mods I had in my mind for my Sierra. Alas...Still, it would be great to see someone actually do these...
NOTE FROM SUPPORT TEAM: Kindly avoid quoting full posts.

Last edited by adya33 : 4th September 2006 at 09:22.
Old 4th September 2006, 11:07   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Interesting. Would love to know more about it. Has anyone done it in India, or any suppliers from India itself?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 23:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower: Yes, the Safari 4x4's always used to come with LSDs. As OE. Mind, the Safari 4x4 LSD's aren't like performance LSDs such as Torsen. They are salisbury (clutch) type, and are useful only upto a limited RPM.

As for the LPG system, it provides upto 30-40% more boost in power and torque. It aids diesel in combustion, and is absolutely safe for the engines. Also, the combustion system is partially cleansed by this. This is particularly useful for TC engines. Adds to the fuel efficiency too.

There are NOS kits available for diesels, but aren't as useful. Of course, power increments are variable upto 120 bhp shots, but LPG kits are far safer, and easier to use...the common factor for LPG and NOS kits, is that both of them have to use a fogger system. LPG is useful only when properly added to fuel as fine fog. Not that difficult, since LPG rapidly expands to gaseous form...

Details are lengthy, but this's the short version. Dunno if anybody has attempted this in India. As you noticed, the technique is not widely known. Few enthusiasts are aware..not many are diesel fanatics, you see....and I'm a hopeless exception...

@munish: Yes, the filter kit will help. The booming noise in the cabin can get a li'l irritating though; especially in the Sierra, since firewall padding isn't that great. Just make sure the padding is done properly. Or maybe you'll enjoy the induction hum....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 04:41   #10
BHPian

Default Building an lpg fumigation kit for my sierra turbo.

Hi guys,

My first post. Veyron, loved all the modification sugestions for the Sierra... I'm on track with some of them.

Having limited finanace, i decided to build my own lpg fumigation kit. The chemical makeup of LPG seems pretty okay to be fumigated with diesel. I'm lucky cause I have a turbocharged engine to work with already. I just bought my first car so i have yet to do these changes, but here's the plan.

I need about 20 to 30% lpg inducted through the air intake at pre turbo, The turbo will help mix the lpg with air. A vacuum pressure switch will relay the amount of lpg needed according to the vacuum pressure in the air inlet. A small size two wheeler lpg regulator capable of servicing a 400-500cc engine should be appropriate to provide about 25% of the total 2000cc engine capacity. A pusher switch attached to the throttle will allow the LPG to be kept off during idling, as induction of LPG causes higher idling.

The sad part is that i will have to sacrifice a K&N appollo kit which i wanted to buy, since its not advised to punture and make a venturi for LPG in it. However, i might go for a universal filter with a Cold air Intake.

Does the Sierra Turbo come with an Intercooler? I have a 2000 model.
Advyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 11:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Sierra Turbo comes with intercooler.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 23:24   #12
BHPian

One more question though; Do you happen to know the Tata Sierra Turbo Engine compression ratio (Engine model - Tata 483 DL Turbo)?

Dont have the owners manual

Anyway, thanks a ton.

Drive on...
Advyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

The engine is pretty much identical to the 1998 to 2005 Safari TCIC engine
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote