Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th December 2015, 14:09   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread

Quote:
So you'll be welding two halves, each from different cars ? Might need some some reinforcements to the chassis. In my car, the chassis number is engraved under the front seats, so these things are not possible.
Hi nim_peter, We've checked and verified, there is no chassis number engraved under the front seats! However, we found it engraved on a newer santro. Of course they've worked on re-enforcing the welds. I'll post the pictures on my next post, kind of busy with office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Thank you Jaggu! . I have replaced the plugs too with no result from no 1 cylinder. Since no 1 cylinder is not functioning , i don't know if the workshop messed with firing order or not, i need to find the distributor output for no 1 cylinder for checking 1342 firing order. i am also thinking of removing the injector connection for no 1 cylinder and run with 3 cylinders rather than sending unburned fuel to ex-host and destroying the catalyst until i take the car to workshop.
Hello vvinod, Try replacing the Distributor cap & the rotor. Distributor cap costs around Rs.300/- & the Rotor around Rs.200/- if you haven't already replaced them. We've had a similar issue recently on our old santro & replacing these two components fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
PS: Apologies to Aravind for hijacking the thread, but couldn't find a better place to post my query. Thanks!
Hey Geo_Ipe, no problems! Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2015 at 17:32.
vsaravind007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 22:38   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello vvinod,
Try replacing the Distributor cap & the rotor. Distributor cap costs around Rs.300/- & the Rotor around Rs.200/- if you haven't already replaced them. We've had a similar issue recently on our old santro & replacing these two components fixed it.
Both cap and rotor replaced without any Luck and finally complete Distributor was replaced for testing with no change in performance. Cylinder 1 doesn't generate any power. I have taken the car to an old mechanic for a second opinion and he did test the injector power supply using an LED bulb,Checked injector by keeping a screw driver on each one of them and keeping the handle on the ear to listen injector closing and opening sound Also replaced HT cable and spark plug again to check, all seems to be fine. removed spark plugs from one Cylinder at a time and cranked the engine to hear the sound to check compression (may be an old school way to check it) and checked some other component and finally told me that looks like valve seating might have gone, need to remove the head and check, car is going to his workshop on Wednesday for valve inspection

Last edited by vvvinod : 4th January 2016 at 22:44.
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 18:29   #93

Hi,

Extremely nice and useful post. I hope you guys strike gold and wish you good luck to restore the car. I will be eagerly awaiting your next write up.

Wishing you good luck, once again, buddy.

K.N.Jayanth Krishnamoorthy
jayanth_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 11:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Both cap and rotor replaced without any Luck and finally complete Distributor was replaced for testing with no change in performance. Cylinder 1 doesn't generate any power. I have taken the car to an old mechanic for a second opinion and he did test the injector power supply using an LED bulb,Checked injector by keeping a screw driver on each one of them and keeping the handle on the ear to listen injector closing and opening sound Also replaced HT cable and spark plug again to check, all seems to be fine. removed spark plugs from one Cylinder at a time and cranked the engine to hear the sound to check compression (may be an old school way to check it) and checked some other component and finally told me that looks like valve seating might have gone, need to remove the head and check, car is going to his workshop on Wednesday for valve inspection
Hi vvvinod, Sorted out the problem? I hope it has been fixed! Would love to know what the problem was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_k View Post
Hi,

Extremely nice and useful post. I hope you guys strike gold and wish you good luck to restore the car. I will be eagerly awaiting your next write up.

Wishing you good luck, once again, buddy.

K.N.Jayanth Krishnamoorthy
Thank you so much jayanth_k!

Update

Sorry for the rather long delay in posting the update guys. I was busy with work and my brother was busy with exams! Had not much time to work on it. However, we did complete the transplantation!

People at the welding workshop really did a great job in mating the old water channel below the windshield with the new body, they re-enforced the weld seams with sheet metal and its super hard to even identify.

They delivered the body after giving a primer coat
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-2.jpg

We had to paint the engine bay for obvious reasons and the left over paint we bought for the engine frame did the job well!
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-3.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-4.jpg

The body looks perfect now!
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-5.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-6.jpg

We had to adjust he holes for the brake drum as the one we're having is slightly larger than the one used to come with this body, I guess its because of the slightly higher engine CC. A bit of filing and grinding did the job and we were finally able to fix the brake drum and the brake pedal.
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-7.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-8.jpg

The issue with the brake drum did raise a lot of questions about the compatibility of the engine mounts and all, since we're simply swapping the body of the car with a slightly old one, without even thinking twice and we've came this far, now is not really the time to think about compatibility issues!

Now, the real problem! How to get this body on to the engine that is resting on top of some concrete blocks that is 10 meters away. We tried lifting the body up but soon came to realize that we cannot do it alone! We're no heavy lifters, and getting help from others is not really our thing unless its absolutely necessary! We turned to the laws of Physics, definitely we cannot defy them but certainly can leverage. Leverage it is! We had to lift up the body somehow and move it to 10 meters and then lift a bit more and lower it on to the resting engine. While doing it, we've to make sure that the engine sub frame mounting holes are in align and none of the parts are rubbing against each other. The idea is by my brother, we used the principle of lever to help us out here.
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-9.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-10.jpg

We tied some wooden planks onto the body with plastic ropes and secured them in place. Used concrete blocks as counter weights. We tried lifting the body from the opposite side and its as easy as lifting a 15kg sack! Bulls eye!! We were successful in the engine swap and we were able to startup the car in no time!
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-11.jpg
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-12.jpg
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-13.jpg
We drove it a few kilometers and came to realize that it has no power brake! We had to slam the brakes to make it stop. Drove like it for a few more distance and suddenly i came to realize that i forgot to connect the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the power brake booster! Fixed it and we continued our journey and it was fun! The car is powerful, had no noises apart from the remaining parts to assemble in the trunk and the only problem is that, it has no power steering! We drove it for 20+kms and the car is good as new! The engine feels new and responsive, everything working fine as they should and the joy was immense! At one point we crossed the 80KM/H mark and we noticed no issues (It was a bit dangerous, but we had to do it and we chose a low traffic route!). The car is back to life! Now all that remains is the painting, AC and the turn indicators on the rear - this isn't working, maybe we messed up the wiring while reconnecting them. Anyways! we succeeded in what we started and we both are very much happy about the results.

I'll post more updates as the car becomes truly finished. I'm planning to go for a long trip on this car once everything is complete, fingers crossed!

Thank you so much BHPians! Your support so far has been awesome!
vsaravind007 is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:17   #95
BHPian

You guys are doing a terrific job!

And the restoration to a red Santro, which is exactly what I own, extra joy for me!

By the way, looks like its Santro fans like you who have made Hyundai to consider a "restoration" at their end too:

Hyundai plans to bring back Santro to take on Maruti

Wish you guys too all the best in getting your car back soon in all its full glory!

PS: Any further updates?!

Last edited by Hvt77 : 10th May 2016 at 16:20.
Hvt77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:44   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
Hi vvvinod, Sorted out the problem? I hope it has been fixed! Would love to know what the problem was.
Long story short... I bought Trisco Compression tester to clear my doubts and took the car to near by mechanic. he had no clue what to do with the tester, i explained him the procedure (thanks to YouTube) he patiently obliged and we did dry and wet test of 4 cylinders, both dry and wet reading was 45,145,150,151,150. Paid 100/ as fee and took the car to a well known senior Maruti mechanic, since the test confirmed that there is a leak in valve of Cylinder 1, i asked him to remove the head and replace the value, he said all of them need to be changed. i agreed . He completed the work in 5 Days and vehicle is back to normal with full power I used this opportunity to change all kind of belts to OEM Bosch as well. Need another visit adjust the tappets after 500 KM run.
I lost hope in Hyundai service center ( they kept the car for a month to find the fault and nothing happened , even after i was telling them i don't see any difference in power if i remove HT cable from Cylinder 1) Most of the mechanics are new and they are here for some experience before go to Middle east

Last edited by vvvinod : 10th May 2016 at 16:49.
vvvinod is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 08:42   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvt77 View Post
You guys are doing a terrific job!

And the restoration to a red Santro, which is exactly what I own, extra joy for me!

By the way, looks like its Santro fans like you who have made Hyundai to consider a "restoration" at their end too:

Hyundai plans to bring back Santro to take on Maruti

Wish you guys too all the best in getting your car back soon in all its full glory!

PS: Any further updates?!
Thank you so much Hvt77! Good to know that India's second most popular car is planning a come back! We're working on the aesthetics of the car now, small dents and scratches during the body transit and all. Also, the color on the RC book is White but the body is red, after clearing out the body, we'll be painting it. Will post further updates

Quote:
Long story short... I bought Trisco Compression tester to clear my doubts and took the car to near by mechanic. he had no clue what to do with the tester, i explained him the procedure (thanks to YouTube) he patiently obliged and we did dry and wet test of 4 cylinders, both dry and wet reading was 45,145,150,151,150. Paid 100/ as fee and took the car to a well known senior Maruti mechanic, since the test confirmed that there is a leak in valve of Cylinder 1, i asked him to remove the head and replace the value, he said all of them need to be changed. i agreed . He completed the work in 5 Days and vehicle is back to normal with full power I used this opportunity to change all kind of belts to OEM Bosch as well. Need another visit adjust the tappets after 500 KM run.
I lost hope in Hyundai service center ( they kept the car for a month to find the fault and nothing happened , even after i was telling them i don't see any difference in power if i remove HT cable from Cylinder 1) Most of the mechanics are new and they are here for some experience before go to Middle east
Good to know that you sorted it out! Its true, Hyundai service centers are pathetic & the young mechanics there are only there to get some experience in the field before they fly! But, every service center in India is doing the same I believe, less pay for the ones seeking experience, pretty economical!
vsaravind007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 23:09   #98
BHPian

Any recent update guys? I have been eagerly waiting to know more and more, being a Santro owner myself, I'm blown away by this thread.
I will soon be posting the list of to-do things on my Santro and hope you resurrecting brothers could throw some light on it.
Mahven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 16:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
Any recent update guys? I have been eagerly waiting to know more and more, being a Santro owner myself, I'm blown away by this thread.
I will soon be posting the list of to-do things on my Santro and hope you resurrecting brothers could throw some light on it.
Hi Mahven! We're currently sorting out the paint, once thats sorted, I'll post the pictures and the future plans Sure we'll help you on your project!
Old 13th January 2017, 11:24   #100
BHPian

It was a fantastic restoration thread to read and it stopped somewhere in July 2016 !! Has it been completed ? It will be great to know that it is done and the car is running. please share details

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 21:17   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
It was a fantastic restoration thread to read and it stopped somewhere in July 2016 !! Has it been completed ? It will be great to know that it is done and the car is running. please share details
Hi Swami!

Thank you so much! Actually we're still working on the car but the progress is slow as I'm busy with office and my brother is in his final semester! We were sorting out tiny issues like turn signals, interior lights etc. Now the car is in perfect mechanical condition. Needs to do the paint work and will post some pictures soon! We were also thinking about slamming a turbo! But only after the car is in top notch condition!

Regards,
Aravind