Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 24th June 2015, 22:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

Many thanks for starting this thread Tassem. I ordered three of these from the seller you provided a link for on Ebay

These took about a month to arrive (china mail - 'nuf said) but on the positive side:

- They were within the seller's originally quoted timeline
- When I sent them a query via email; I got a very reassuring response back immediately

The product itself looks sturdy and well made. You can get a feel for the "force multiplication" when you just gently press it against your neck

Highly recommended!

Now; eagerly waiting for your post on an emergency first aid kit

Thanks again bud!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 22:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

I got a window breaker cum alarms at Walmart some time back. Also carry a Smith and Wesson tactical knife to help chop the seat belt.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 23:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I got a window breaker cum alarms at Walmart some time back. Also carry a Smith and Wesson tactical knife to help chop the seat belt.
Whoa nice!
I recently read a news item where an old man and his dog were locked inside his Corvette and ultimately died of heat.
http://jalopnik.com/texas-man-and-hi...-co-1710670440

Very next day I ordered a pair of these:
Safety Hammer

One for me and one for my wife's minivan. I figured that even if I am never in a situation where I might need it, I may come across one where someone else might need it!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 14:52   #49
BHPian

Nice thread Tassem...
After reading horror stories of people getting burnt alive inside a locked car, I started thinking of getting some sort of emergency tools to get out of such situations. Yesterday, I ordered this four in one tool kit using reward points on my ICICI credit card. I am not sure of the quality and manufacturer of this kit. Let's see how it is once I receive it.
mahesh_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 19:13   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Being Prepared for a Vehicle Emergency Part 1 - The $5 that may save your life one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks for the tip on the kubotan and the paracord. I will try to get it as soon as I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Your kit also includes the training you received as a scout! I think that's the best component of any survival kit

Paracord is cheap and easy to find on ebay. It's stupidly expensive in India.
Finally I have got myself the 550 para chord. Just weaved (if thats the term) myself a Mad Max style bracelet out of approx 11ft of the 50ft that I ordered. Not only does it look good, but it is also a handy place to store 11ft of rope . It will quite difficult to forget it home. Now slowly looking out to expand my kit. A dedicated knife is next on my list.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Whoa nice!
Very next day I ordered a pair of these:
Safety Hammer
Setting up Life Hammer in Swift

Amit, Ordered the same item for my swift.

Can you kindly educate as to which is the best place to set the life hammer in swift ?

Already have a resqme for the driver side. Planning to fix the life hammer for the passengers reach.

Help would be highly appreciated
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 12:46   #52
Team-BHP Support

The problem with most of these tools is that they will just be lying idle in your glove box, out of sight and out of mind. If and when you do need to use them, they'll probably be misplaced.

This device seems to solve that problem, by integrating the tools into a USB charger!

KoTech Stinger

Kubotan: The  safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire-kotech_glassbreaker_newlisting_05.png

Name:  IMG20170225WA0037.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  247.1 KB

Name:  IMG20170225WA0038.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  278.6 KB

Name:  IMG20170225WA0036.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  215.5 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2017 at 12:54.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 13:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night's accident where a racer and his wife died in a burning car as their car was trapped between a tree and a wall also got me wondering about cars with sunfilms. I've always had the opinion that a sunfilm has a secondary benefit of acting like a safety layer to keep away glass fragments in case a glass breaks (not as effective as safety/security film, but offering some protection nevertheless).

In such a case of a car having sunfilm on all windows - including the windshields - what would the effectiveness of such a safety hammer be? Would it just need to be driven in such that the point pierces the thin sunfilm? Or would it require multiple hits, or worse still, would the glass hammer be rendered useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would urge everyone to keep a glass hammer in their car - related thread.
Let alone just keeping a glass hammer, I'm now tempted to go and somehow test mine, just to see what amount of force, etc. is required. I've read about operating it and seen the YouTube videos when I purchased my ResQMe device, but there's nothing like some actual hands on.

I should probably try befriending someone at Windshield Experts to see if they've got any windshield that is to be scrapped, that could be used for testing purposes.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote