Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd July 2015, 21:02   #16
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura TDI with VRS makeover & 200 BHP Stage 2 by Tune-O-Tronics - Diesel VRS done right

Awesome sir! I need the LEDs and the steering option.. Where did you source these from?

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd July 2015 at 08:38. Reason: u = You. Please do not use SMS lingo on the forum.
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:51   #17
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura TDI with VRS makeover & 200 BHP Stage 2 by Tune-O-Tronics - Diesel VRS done right

Ok so in 2017 I will be changing from the Skoda Rapid to the Laura I had no idea that skoda was so customisable. Hope my Rapid has some future in terms of customisation when I get bored of the present tuning and drive.
Mordred is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Superb mods buddy! I've been following your threads right from when you bought your rapid. My current daily drive is a Verna diesel for which ive been looking for cheap handling related upgrades without much success.:banghead:
Please throw some light on your BG , the DQ 250. It's rated to handle up to 350nm right? Your doing almost 100nm more than that! Can the 250 handle all this abuse?

Cheers
vibhu_f430 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
(reserved as an Index)

Here's what's documented in the next 8 posts
  • Finding the car
  • Mechanical makeover
  • The VRS makeover
  • The Stage1 tune by TuneOTronics & beating Narain Karthikeyan's VRS lap time on the Chennai track
  • Winning my first Tarmac Autocross
  • Activating various hidden features via VCDS
  • The Stage2 HW upgrade and remap by TuneOTronics
  • Winning my first 2 Drag races in the Laura

Ever since i joined as an automotive design and development engineer ive been against modification of cars.since most modifiers in india are just doing jugaad and have little understanding of the science that goes into automobiles

Ive found out that pretty much all automakers dont design their transmissions to handle much more torque than their stock engines produce. To this effect, most legit modifiers in japan pretty much replace most bits of their transmissions (when upping the horsepower) or change them entirely.

Now my question to you is, did you find out what is the rated torque capacity of your current transmission? and whats the difference between what your engine is making now and what your trans can take. Trust me, ive seen transmissions disintegrate spectacularly due to excessive torque being put through them on the test bed.

And from what i know, just with an additional tuning box you easily exceed the safe torque limits of most transmissions mated to those engines.

the only exceptions to this rule maybe the cars that have been detuned for india compared to the international market but even in that case the manufacturer might use different materials to construct the same transmission to save cost since the extra strength is just adding to cost

Regards
Anmol

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 23rd July 2015 at 21:08.
mycarhasablower is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:49   #20
BHPian

Transmissions are also rated to handle shock / transient loads of the wheels hitting bumps. The whole drive line is mounted on rubber for exactly this reason. There is usually plenty of factor of safety there.

The cooling maybe inadequate to keep the oil temps under control. That's probably the other major failure mode.

I agree though that the life of the transmission will reduce by quite a bit. What is acceptable is up to the tuner/ owner.

The retuning of the dsg may have done the trick to put in safe guards.

I know that some vw transmissions come with a torque limiter for the lower gears that is programmed into the ecu. That could be another way of ensuring life of the transmission.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 01:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hello kryptonite, Lovely performance mods there, Reading your amazing post, I too have an itch to give my jetta a remap, I am still confused between a remap and a tuning box, But it seems after your post, I am inclined towards TuneOTronics. Please do keep us posted on how the car is performing and thanks for sharing!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 11:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post

Ive found out that pretty much all automakers dont design their transmissions to handle much more torque than their stock engines produce. To this effect, most legit modifiers in japan pretty much replace most bits of their transmissions (when upping the horsepower) or change them entirely.
Is your statement limited to Auto/DSG boxes or are you talking about Gboxes in general. If it's the latter, I'm afraid its not completely true!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 15:06   #23
BHPian

Woah !!

Hats off to your commitment and dedication. And I must say I am mighty impressed with your crystal clear goal - 200HP

I confess I had to google a number of times while reading your thread, too much info for my tiny brain.

Congratulations for your successful mod and also for the well earned trophies.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 19:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Aesthetically the car look stunning. (Except the 'thing' on the fuel filler cap. IMHO it dosent suit otherwise clean but striking body work)
Thanks. Haha, that's a prototype mold of TuneOTronics' logo, something they're still working on, not a finished product. I stuck it on anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So what is next?
I'm going to take a breather for now. Spent too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
I need the LEDs and the steering option.. Where did you source these from?
Talk to TuneOTronics for the steering. Which LED's do you need? Few are available locally

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Please throw some light on your BG , the DQ 250. It's rated to handle up to 350nm right? Your doing almost 100nm more than that! Can the 250 handle all this abuse? Cheers
Thanks. Stock limiters are set to 380NM. The DQ250 can handle more than what I'm running currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Now my question to you is, did you find out what is the rated torque capacity of your current transmission? and whats the difference between what your engine is making now and what your trans can take. Trust me, ive seen transmissions disintegrate spectacularly due to excessive torque being put through them on the test bed.
Diesel_convert is spot on. And yes, I've done extensive research on this myself, but TuneOTronics has done way more research than me of course, and a ton of testing on this engine and transmission. The transmission can handle more that what I'm currently running.
kryptonite is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 23:06   #25
vdm
BANNED

Wow! I just have no words to say. You are living your dreams.:thumbup:
What upgrades you have done using all OE parts is unheard of. I have seen lots of performance upgrades in cars but, what you have is different. I missed the drag race which was held here at Kari motor sports, probably next time we can catch up when you are here. Would love to see your VRS 200 bhp of raw power in action.

Last edited by vdm : 25th July 2015 at 23:07.
vdm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 00:13   #26
BHPian

Hey Kryptonite the Alloys look Brilliant, din't notice them today afternoon.

I am gonna plan some visual mods for this little beauty, let me get that sorted and then bring it over.

Last edited by AtheK : 26th July 2015 at 00:20.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Talk to TuneOTronics for the steering. Which LED's do you need? Few are available local
need parking LED and LED DRL bulb in the stock Fog lamp. Also, where did you source the New skoda Monograms? were they same dia as the old ones - so plug and play?
Old 27th July 2015, 11:57   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Activating/tweaking car features via VCDS

Quote:
March 2015:

WARNING:

Coding Wischer:
Tear wiping active

-Tear wiping will clear the last few drops of water rolling down your windshield once you stop the wipers

Coding RLS:
Headlight >140kph inactive

-Headlights (on the L&K) switch on automatically the moment you cross 140 KPH. It was annoying, so I disabled its
Do you remember which Modules are these? could not find them in the BCM/Central Convinience

also whats this "AC filter (got a charcoal activated filter, which works better)"? is there an option to source this? is it available in Skoda? let me know the part number/source

Last edited by newtonMeter : 27th July 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Addition
Old 29th July 2015, 14:50   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Finding the car

Wonderful thread; thanks for sharing.

The details in terms of how you decided to upgrade, selected the car, and then the stages of repair, service, and tuning are beautifully detailed. Your passion and dedication to the entire process is remarkable. Certainly a lot of thought, planning, and hard work to convert those dreams to reality.

Congratulations on the remarkable ride, and your many wins!

Quote:
Preface:
The Elantra ... wait, we were talking of cars, how the heck did a Hyundai get on this list, right, sorry, moving on.
Your comment on Hyundai cracked me up. Its something I can relate to, as I understand that its a lot more desirable as an automotive purist to own and drive something that is part of a brand that has a rich automotive legacy. With the exception of the Tiburon, I don't think Hyundai as made much worth talking about; that's not to say that they don't make good... possible great everyday/functional cars.

I had in-fact said something similar on another thread, and I had quite a few people whining and responding in defense.
virtualdanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 17:04   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Activating/tweaking car features via VCDS

Quote:
need parking LED and LED DRL bulb in the stock Fog lamp. Also, where did you source the New skoda Monograms? were they same dia as the old ones - so plug and play?
Parking LED: http://www.classicaccess.com/product...-canbus-white/
This one is error free.

LED DRL: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...265908123.html
I'd tried this when I had the original bumper, and this one throws up a bulb error on the dashboard, it's not error free as mentioned. BTW, I now have a VRS bumper which come with DRLs.

Skoda logos: source from ebay. There are plenty of links.
Yes, they're the same dia.

Quote:
Do you remember which Modules are these? could not find them in the BCM/Central Convinience
Which model is yours? I'm not sure if you'll see them in Elegance or lower trims. In the L&K, when you go to 'Coding', you'll see the default BCM module, but there's a dropdown there from where you can choose Wischer or RLS.

Quote:
also whats this "AC filter (got a charcoal activated filter, which works better)"? is there an option to source this? is it available in Skoda? let me know the part number/source
http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...uestion209.htm
Contact Adiga Automotives for the filter.
kryptonite is online now   Reply With Quote