Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th October 2015, 01:25   #46
BHPian

Default re: 213 BHP Skoda Laura - Diesel VRS done right! Tons of mods & victories

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
Infact I also own a Rapid(1.5 CR) and also a Laura(2.0 CR MT Ambiente).
Hi

It would be interesting to know how the Rapid fares in terms of performance and handling compared to Laura (MT) since both cars put out similar power figures on papers.
torque18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 12:06   #47
BHPian

Default Updated Race tune, and my first Sprint race!

24th October saw the introduction of Sprint Races at Bangalore.

Team Inner Line racing organized a brilliant event at Nice Road. It wasn't drag racing, wasn't Tarmac Autocross, but was a Sprint Race. The race was held on a closed 2km stretch on Nice road, in which there were 6-7 man-made chicanes installed (using tyres), approximately 250-300 mts apart. The goal was to navigate through all the chicanes along the 2 KM stretch, make a tight U-turn at the end, and traverse back through the chicanes to the start line - totaling to approximately 4 kms.

This was going to be a torture test on the car - especially on the engine, suspension, tyres and brakes. I couldn't wait.

Preparation:
I'd just recently upgraded to the larger VRS brakes, which now meant that I wouldn't be able to use my 15 inch slicks anymore (need 16" to clear the caliper now). I had to either choose to revert to my older brakes and run the slicks, or retain the brake upgrade and run on my street tyres. I didn't want to disturb my setup anymore, so I chose to just run as is with upgraded brakes and street tyres. I'd also recently upgraded to the VRS springs, which were not only stiffer, but also lowered the car. This would help at the event. Vyshak from Adiga Motors had done a brilliant job in installing brakes and suspension upgrades. They would be put to the full test at this event.

I was running a sweet TuneOTronics Stage2 kit + remap on my engine for almost 6 months now, running 200 BHP all the time. We'd not maxed everything out, but I wanted to see if we could do so for just events like this. My goal was to shoot for an aggressive 'Race only' tune, just for motorsport events. So I met Sid & Vivek sometime in early October to discuss this. 'Rapid days all over again', said Sid, referring to pretty much what we'd done with my Rapid where we had a separate street and race tune. And he followed up with 'We don't recommend it. You're already running very high. Something will break over time'. I pressed on, very insistent that we build a race tune for my car, and that I was willing to take the risk. I was very happy running 200 BHP for street without smoke, but this new tune I was requesting was just for races. Reluctantly they agreed. We would all work on it the following week. I then presented them with my time target. Note that we were doing 7.3s to 100 currently. 'I need to do a 7s flat to 100 on this race tune', I said. Sid and Vivek groaned in unison. 'Something will break', they said again. But I knew them too well, only too well. I was smiling, I'd gotten them to agree to my crazy idea, half the mission accomplished.

Going faster - The Race tune:
So we got together a week later, and just like the good old days with the Rapid, we set about methodically going about it, one step at a time. Knowing TuneOTronics well, I knew they would never spike any parameter without measurements first, and would always go up in stages. Sid went about making extremely complicated tweaks to the VRS turbo's vane angles to control how early the turbo spools up to deliver maximum torque at the beginning of the torque curve, and to ensure we hold as much of that torque as possible towards the end of the curve. We played around with rail pressures, with injector duration/quantity/timing to match the new boost curve. We tested each change, logging each parameter in the process to ensure we were still keeping every component safe. We also still had to ensure exhaust gas temperatures didn't cross safe limits. At the end of many tests and few days, we were finally done.

The Race tune felt savage. It would just fly at the touch of the throttle. I could feel a definite increase in low end torque, and it held that through the mid-range to top end, it was just relentless. It pulled like a train, and kept going and going. Sid said when we dyno, I shouldn't go by peak numbers alone, and that the changes he'd made this time would deliver more of the peak goodness earlier and hold it longer than before. I asked Sid if he could incorporate any of this onto my street tune. 'No way', he said 'The race tune's methodology, the design of the remap, the way the power is delivered is completely different'. 'Alright', I said. I couldnít ask for more. I now had to measure how quick it was. I needed to gain 0.3s on my street tune to 100. That was the goal I'd set for them. The VBox was setup, and I was ready. I engaged into 1st and launched. The torque delivery and acceleration was brutal. At the end of the run, I stopped and looked down at the VBox. I'd clocked 6.99s to 100. Oh yeah, baby! See vbox graph below

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-l2.png

Dyno:
We did eventually dyno this race tune. I wanted to confirm we were putting out more torque and bhp at the wheel than we had before, even though Sid said I shouldn't just go by numbers alone. My car had now run 83,000 kms., and it would be interesting to see how it had aged 30,000 kms. into the TuneOTronics Stage2 remap. And so we headed to the dyno. Owing solely to the quality of the TuneOTronics way of tuning, nothing had changed on my street tune on the dyno. We were still making 440NM, 200BHP at wheel. Next up was the new Race tune. The figures came up on the screen, and I was happy as punch. We were averaging 455~463NM on torque, and 202~207 on BHP. Mission accomplished.

Will be posting dyno graphs at a later date. The Red rooster guys have been busy at events, and I'm yet to receive it from them.

The event:
I had decided to enroll into 5 categories, namely:
  • Corporate Class
  • Diesel Open
  • 1601cc & above
  • Unrestricted class
  • Indian Open

I knew I was going to be competitive in the first 3 categories, but I was being overly optimistic with the Unrestricted and Indian Open classes. After all, mine was still an OE setup, with air conditioning, audio system, airbags and everything the car came with, still in the car. Mind you, I was still running a stock intake and exhaust setup, the car still had to stay true to the OE theme. Itís properly setup for touring, not racing. And the carís heavy, weighs 1465kgs according to Skoda, and I weigh another 100 kgs. Neither my car nor I were built or setup to go racing against the many proper dedicated race setup monsters out there. Heck, I was on a stock air filter, and stock brake pads as well! But I was going to try, and give it my best shot.

Vivek accompanied me to the event, and flashed me to the Race tune in the morning. I was ready. One interesting thing at the event was that they did not allow practice laps at all, on purpose. It would be a new track for everyone, and that would mix things up. All we got was a guided, slow drive on the track behind a pace car. Another interesting thing they did at the event was that they did not call out participants by classes. We could show up, call out the category for the run we were about to take, and go for it.

The drama:
So, I chose to run the Corporate class first. The first half of the run went well, but during the second half of the run, the car just refused to brake well enough into one of the chicanes. I was now standing on the brakes willing the car to slow down enough. It wouldn't. I slammed into the tyres, lost 4-5s in the whole recovery, then had to reverse to align my car back in the opposite direction, lost another 4-5s and eventually made it back to the start line. I would lose another 5s as penalty due to collision with tyres. My brakes were now smoking by the time I made it to the finish line, and everyone started pointing to it. I could see the smoke, so I proceeded to just drive around at moderate speeds, letting air cool it down. As it cooled down, I noticed I felt a small vibration/wobble at the rear left back tyre, so I got down to look at it. To my surprise, a large bolt had gotten itself wedged into my tyre. What the heck! The tyre was losing air fast. No wonder it didn't brake into one of the chicanes. This must have happened just before the braking point.

So, I took off on nice road towards the Mysore road exit. A friend told me there was a puncture shop there. I made it before my air had completely run out on the punctured tyre, and pulled into the shop. To my surprise, the guy said he didn't have a jack! What! Which puncture shop doesn't have one? Mine was at my garage (weight savings you see), so I had to call Vivek, who sent across another TuneOTronics remapped Rapid to my spot with a jack. It took a long time to fix it, and when we were done, I noticed I would be low on fuel. Of course, I'd gone in to the event with just enough fuel (weight saving again you see), and the trip to Mysore road & back would ensure I couldn't participate in at least 2 categories. Where would I find a Shell bunk now, I thought. I wasn't going to mix fuel. So, I drove from the Mysore road exit to Kanakpura road, exited, filled up at Shell, and drove back to the event. It was 3pm now, and they were now calling for all cars to finish. They still had to run bikes!

The proper runs
In hindsight, the fact that they'd not run cars category wise had sort of saved me, and this meant I could now do back to back runs and tick away one category after another (of course with a 15 minute cool down in between), which meant I would need 1.5 hours to myself on the track. This was going to be close. I'd given up hopes of standing on the podium in the Corporate class, and I really had to make the other classes count. I picked the Diesel class next, and took it relatively easy during the run. The brakes weren't at their best after their fiery episode, and I was still wary of me over-committing the car into the chicanes. But I found that I hadn't in fact over-committed into any of the chicanes the last time, it was the puncture that had cost me. I finished the Diesel class, not my best run, but it was more of a trial run in the car to ensure everything was functioning ok. It was, and braking was now getting better. I had also learnt the track better with 2 rounds now done, and I knew what to do to go quicker next time around.

I gave it a 15 minute cool down. Then started my run for the 1601 & above class. I was up against turbocharged high revving 1.8 TSI petrols. The run went fine. I was pretty sure it went faster than the run in the Diesel class. I knew I could gain some more time. I'd learnt more of the track in this run. Last 2 classes for me to run.

I was now in dilemma, and unsure of which of the 2 remaining classes to run. Standing on the podium in the Unrestricted and Indian Open classes was already a distant possibility given my heavy car, and a Diesel at that, and I had to do my best at both to stand a chance. But, I was still improving with my timing, and I knew in all probability that I'd do my best at the last class that I run. I had faced a similar dilemma at the recent Speedway Autocross, and came to the same conclusion as I had then. The Indian Open was more important for me. I'd run that last. Plus it would also be cooler. So, I ran the Unrestricted class next after a period of cool down. Again, I knew I'd gone faster than I had in all other classes. This run was close to perfect, but I knew I could do a little better than this, brake that little later into some of the chicanes, and get on the throttle that little earlier coming out of some of the chicanes. I let it cool for another 15 minutes. It was now 5.45pm, and getting dark, and they were screaming that they had to run the bikes. I saw 3 cars had already lined up, and there were 2 more on their way. These would be the last of the cars.

I started my Indian open run. It went really well. It was close to perfect. I was extremely satisfied with the carís and my performance on this particular run. I don't think I could have gone much quicker.
They decided to run the bikes the next day, thankfully.

It was now an agonizing 1 hr. wait for the results. They were finally ready, and this is how I fared:
  • 2nd in the Coporate Class despite the puncture and penalty (Another TuneOTronics tuned Rapid came 1st)
  • 1st in the 1601 & above Class
  • 1st in the Diesel Open (The TuneOTronics tuned Rapid came 2nd)
  • 3rd in the Indian Open (Hell yeah. Super proud of this one)
  • 4th in the Unrestricted class (my Indian open timing would have been good enough for third, but I was still improving. I'm no professional racing driver)

All in all, a wonderful event. 3 cheers to Team Inner line Racing to have pulled this off successfully at Bangalore. They're now organizing a Drag event at Bangalore in January. Wow, this will be fun. After almost a decade, a drag event at Bangalore!

Check out pictures from the event, and stay up to date on the upcoming drag event at:
https://www.facebook.com/INNERLINERACING

That's all for now. Cheers!

Last edited by kryptonite : 21st November 2015 at 12:12.
kryptonite is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 18:53   #48
BHPian

Changed alloys again!

Just because the wheels were aftermarket, I was getting seriously tempted to go aftermarket all the way in terms of bigger injectors, an even bigger turbo with a custom manifold, full blown intake, exhaust, intercooler, slotted rotors, coilover suspension... the works! I would've probably ended up spending as much as I bought the car for. It was a much better decision to just go back to OE spec wheels, and call it done.

These look good, but I think the OZs looked better. I'm back to staying true to the theme of the car being OE. I've made my peace :-)

I now have 2x 17 inch set of wheels for sale, the OZs and the Skoda wheels. I've put them up in the Classifieds section. Let me know if anyone's interested.

More updates soon!
Attached Thumbnails
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-1452085936699.jpg  

Last edited by kryptonite : 6th January 2016 at 18:56.
kryptonite is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 22:30   #49
BHPian

Default re: 213 BHP Skoda Laura - Diesel VRS done right! Tons of mods & victories

Wow that is a tremendous amount of work and effort with such fantastic result. Costs a bomb but what matters is that you have been putting the car to the test at races which is the way it shud be.

The car looks a sleeper to with nothing giving away what is under the hood.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 23:25   #50
BHPian

Killer alloys and a killer car bro!. And congrats on the races won!.I never realy thought a diesel Laura could be so power packed ,and your car is just a monster car which looks normal .Congrats again and wishing you all the very best in the future races as well
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Default Re: More updates to the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
More updates to the car:

Note:
  • Suspension upgrades are tricky. There are so many aftermarket lowering springs available in the market, and they're usually seem like an easy buy, and popular ones like H&R and Eibach usually quote how much lowering you will achieve. But what everyone fails to mention when they sell you aftermarket springs is that the lowering quoted is from the 'standard suspension' setup of the car (Europe or the US), which is not what our cars in India run. The 35mm lowering springs that H&R claims for example, when installed on our Laura which runs a 'Rough road package' ends up lowering the car by a little more than 2 inches.
  • Different springs need to be used for different Petrol and Diesel engines of the same car, and within each engine type, different springs again need to be used for automatic vs. manual transmission equipped variants of the same engine; this is primarily due to the differences in weight loading that the various engine and transmission options present. You'll need to get it absolutely right and choose the right part numbers for your car, engine and transmission type. With aftermarket springs, they just make one or rarely 2 models per car that they hope will work across all engine and transmissions variants and weight loading.
  • Most aftermarket lowering springs only work best with high performance dampers like the Bilstein B6, and usually present a choppy, mismatched ride if used with standard dampers; this is something not many people will tell you. I had no intention of changing my dampers, so my goal of getting springs from the TDI VRS DSG was the right solution for me. There are lowering springs available which are designed to work with standard dampers as well, so choose wisely. You always need to know what your car is, what you want to achieve, and ensure you do it right. I'm glad I had TuneOTronics to help work all this out for me.

[
Hello Kryptonite, i am in the same dilemma as you for the Springs. I have the following queries
1. Having the same L&K as yours i assume my suspension is "Rough road" package and hence i assume is sits higher than Euro spec?
2. With the original VRS springs and current stock Struts - how much of effective lowering is acheived (in mm?)
3. Does this combination (VRS springs + Stock Struts/Shockers) at front and rear cause any issue of car bottoming out under load>? (4/5 passengers?)
4. Do you have the link from where you ordered the VRS springs? Part numbers?

also, apart from the springs, we need to also change the part - 3 (see pic) 1K0412303F rubber stop for; shock absorber; 55MM; PR-G07+2UC
( VRS uses 55MM rubber stop as compared to Rough road ones which use 90 MM - see pic 2)

VRS PIC 1
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-vrs.jpg
ROugh road PIC 2
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-roughroad.jpg

Last edited by newtonMeter : 19th January 2016 at 15:12.
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 17:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Most aftermarket lowering springs only work best with high performance dampers like the Bilstein B6, and usually present a choppy, mismatched ride if used with standard dampers; this is something not many people will tell you. I had no intention of changing my dampers, so my goal of getting springs from the TDI VRS DSG was the right solution for me. There are lowering springs available which are designed to work with standard dampers as well, so choose wisely. You always need to know what your car is, what you want to achieve, and ensure you do it right. I'm glad I had TuneOTronics to help work all this out for me.
How is the effect is you use performance dampers and stock springs? Would there be any adverse effect with this combination? I am planning to get Koni dampers all round for my Polo GT hence the question.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hello Kryptonite, i am in the same dilemma as you for the Springs. I have the following queries
1. Having the same L&K as yours i assume my suspension is "Rough road" package and hence i assume is sits higher than Euro spec?
2. With the original VRS springs and current stock Struts - how much of effective lowering is acheived (in mm?)
3. Does this combination (VRS springs + Stock Struts/Shockers) at front and rear cause any issue of car bottoming out under load>? (4/5 passengers?)
4. Do you have the link from where you ordered the VRS springs? Part numbers?

also, apart from the springs, we need to also change the part - 3 (see pic) 1K0412303F rubber stop for; shock absorber; 55MM; PR-G07+2UC
( VRS uses 55MM rubber stop as compared to Rough road ones which use 90 MM - see pic 2)
1) Correct
2) 1.5 inches
3) Doesn't bottom out. But you will scrape the under chassis on speed bumps, especially with 4+ passengers and/or luggage
4) I sourced it through TuneOTronics. Feel free to contact them, they'll sort you out

Correct, rubber stop change is recommended, but not compulsory. I've already ordered the rubber stops, and also the VRS Struts/Shock absorbers to complete the suspension upgrade. Arriving next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
How is the effect is you use performance dampers and stock springs? Would there be any adverse effect with this combination? I am planning to get Koni dampers all round for my Polo GT hence the question.

Drive on,
Shibu.
I've never tried it myself. I have had friends do this and report only benefits, without any side effects.
Old 26th February 2016, 14:30   #54
BHPian

Default Drag racing back in Bangalore!

Drag racing finally back in Bangalore!

Team Inner Line Racing Club (ILRC) put together 'Down the straight', a 1/4 mile drag at Nice Road, Bangalore.
It was an awesome day, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was part of Team TuneOTronics, we were a team of 5 cars, and 5 drivers.
We grabbed 17 podiums out of 21 entries. (7 wins, 6 second places, 4 third places).
I personally won 7 of those 17 trophies.
In addition, we won 7 'Best tuner' & 7 'Fastest driver' trophies out of 9 categories participated

Here's how we fared:

Street stock 2001cc & above:
1st in a Laura 1.8 TSI
3rd in a BMW 320d

Street stock Open:
1st & 2nd in a BMW 530d

Forced Induction 1651 to 2000 cc:
1st in a BMW 320d
2nd & 3rd in a Laura 2.0 TDI
-a full podium sweep in this class

Forced Induction 2001 to 3000 cc:
1st & 2nd in a BMW 530d

Diesel Pro stock upto 1800cc:
1st & 2nd in a Vento 1.6 TDI

Diesel Pro stock 1801 to 2600cc:

1st & 3rd in a Laura 2.0 TDI
2nd in a BMW 320d
-a full podium sweep in this class too

Diesel Pro stock 2601cc & above:

1st & 2nd in a BMW 530d

Indian Open:
3rd in a BMW 530d (this one I'm personally quite proud of)

Here are the fastest times posted in each of our cars (elapsed time only):
  • Vento 1.6 TDI (165 BHP, Stage2 race prep) - 15.129s
  • Laura 1.8 TSI (200 BHP, Stage1 street) - 15.102s
  • BMW 320d (210 BHP, Stage1 street) - 14.930s
  • Laura 2.0 TDI (202 BHP, Stage2 race prep) - 14.581s (my car)
  • BMW 530d (325 BHP, Stage1+ street) - 13.941s

Photos are here on Team ILRC's website:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3426669&type=3

Here's a brilliant video compilation of the event:

Here's the long pending dyno graph of my car:
Street tune vs. Race tune

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-dyno-tbhp.png

Here's the vbox log of my fastest 0-100 time yet, on the race setup/tune:

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-laura-2.0-tdi-stage2-race.png

Here are more pics of the car post the alloys:
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160226wa0011.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160226wa0009.jpg

That's it for now. More updates in the next few weeks will include:
  • VRS Rear bumper
  • VRS Struts/Shock absorbers
  • Headlamps - black edition style
  • Launch Control (yeah baby!)

Last edited by kryptonite : 26th February 2016 at 14:47.
kryptonite is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 02:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy!!
I just finished reading your thread. It's really great to win so many events with your remapped Skoda. How's the car doing? Did you encounter any problems with engine components post remap? I have a Wolf remapped SX4 and Grand i10 with RD box. Both my cars are out of warranty. I have not clocked many kms post mods. So I just wanted to know if there would be any problems or any precautions to be taken.
Thanks in advance
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 01:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats buddy!!
Thanks!

Quote:
I just finished reading your thread. It's really great to win so many events with your remapped Skoda. How's the car doing? Did you encounter any problems with engine components post remap?
The car is as good as it's ever been, in fact the fastest it's ever been - with the ODO now almost at 90,000 kms. I've never had a single issue in either my Rapid or my Laura due to the TuneOTronics remap.

Quote:
I have a Wolf remapped SX4 and Grand i10 with RD box. Both my cars are out of warranty. I have not clocked many kms post mods. So I just wanted to know if there would be any problems or any precautions to be taken.
Thanks in advance
Cool. if you car is tuned right, you don't need to do anything extra, or anything out of the ordinary. Just follow the regular service & maintenance schedules, and keep your fluids topped up in the interim. That is all I do.

Cheers.
Old 7th March 2016, 01:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is as good as it's ever been, in fact the fastest it's ever been - with the ODO now almost at 90,000 kms. I've never had a single issue in either my Rapid or my Laura due to the TuneOTronics remap.
Cheers.
Good to hear that buddy. I think TOT is the best firm for custom remaps. TOT and Petes are the only authorised suppliers of alien tech remap tools in India. I wanted to know the feedback from someone who has run couple of kms post remap.
Thanks once again
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 07:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know the feedback from someone who has run couple of kms post remap.
Thanks once again
I had my Cruze tuned by Tune O Tronics when it was about 1 year old at 20,000km. I asked Sid to increase Torque ever so lightly from 800rpm to 1300rpm so that I could drive most of the time in the city with just the clutch and brake. Then I asked him for stock torque from 1300rpm to about 1800rpm. Then I wanted it to gradually increase from 1800rpm to 3500rpm peaking at 2500rpm and roll off after 3500rpm to stock value at about 4000rpm. I specifically asked him to juggle with the torque and care two hoots for the bhp figures. He did just that and my car is now at 1,50,010km with its stock original clutch which came from the factory in 2009. Rubber parts, brake pads and fluids is what I have changed till date except the front caliper pins. The caliper pins from the Tata Manza are doing fine for the past 80,000km. Front suspension will require overhauling at about 1,60,000km. This car has served me very well with Sidharth's tune.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 7th March 2016 at 07:08.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 20:51   #59
BHPian

First of all congrats on a fabulous car and thoroughly done mods. Enjoyed reading through it and appreciate the time and effort taken by you to clarify many things related to brake/suspension upgrade and parts shared.

Quote:

From Adiga Automotives:
[*]OE Osram D1S 4100k Xenon bulbs

Could you please clarify whether you had gone for the Osram OE kit just as a replacement or for improving the lighting?

-Avinash.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 20:29   #60
BHPian

Default More mods, Race Wins, Kraken & Launch Control:

Grab a bag of popcorn, this one's a long post.

More mods, Race Wins, Kraken & Launch Control:

To complete the VRS makeover, I finally picked up the rear VRS bumper, and the VRS shocks to complement the VRS springs.

The VRS rear bumper & reflectors were sourced from Skoda. To those who weren't aware, yes, the rear bumper on the VRS is slightly different.
The reflectors at the bottom are longer, and the lines & curves on the bumper are more sharper overall. But, that's about it.
The bumper I got from Skoda wasn't painted of course, so that was additional cost. The rear parking sensor holes had to be drilled as well.
Adiga Automotives (Vyshak) did a neat job with the rear parking sensor housings, painting and installing the bumper; he made it fit like a glove, just like OE.
Was it worth the money - absolutely no, but was somewhat necessary for me to complete the VRS makeover. Will share pictures later, but you can see it in the videos below.

The VRS shock absorbers (from the Octavia MK2 TDI VRS in Europe) were sourced by TuneOTronics.
I'd been desperately waiting for the shocks to complement the springs I already had from the European Octavia MK2 TDI VRS.
Adiga Automotives did a great job with installing the shocks, and I took the opportunity to also get my top mounts, bearings and bump stops changed.
The bump stops for the VRS shocks are shorter, and were also procured by TOT along with the shocks.
Did it make a massive difference? Not quite. But it did make a difference for sure.
What's noticeable is in damping and rebound characteristics, where the stock shocks would take bumps lazily, the VRS shocks make the bumps go away in a jiffy.
They basically keep the car flatter and more stable over uneven surfaces - that's about as best as I would summarize it.

There is only one other thing that the European VRS has, that I don't - and that's the sunroof. I've decided not to bother about it.
As it stands now, my VRS makeover is full and complete. I can proudly claim that I'm probably the only one who owns a true Octavia MK2 TDI VRS in the country, with all OE parts.

Headlamp - Black edition:
Like I'd done on my Rapid, I always wanted to paint the insides of my headlamp black.
We finally got around to it some time back, and I must say, the procedure was painful and risky (you have to cut open the headlamp).
I was pretty much standing at the opposite end of the workshop while they carefully did their surgery.
But Adiga Automotives did a fabulous job, and even the finishing came out pretty well. Kudos to them!
We of course didn't touch the high beam reflector since it's halogen, but we only painted the low beam housing black.

De-Mustache ;-) :
Yes, that's what I term it.
For some reason, one day, I woke up and the grill looked like a mustache!

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160305wa0014.jpg

In fact I googled it just to check my sanity, and I found this: I had to get rid of it.

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160305wa0011.jpg

My new front end with the black headlamps & Hence, de-mustache looks like this:

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160305wa0022.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160309wa0001.jpg

Vroom - April 2016: Bangalore

As Team TuneOTronics, we grabbed 5 podiums out of 5 entries (3 wins, 2 second places)
Here's how we fared:

Diesel Pro stock 1401 to 1600 cc
1st in a Vento 1.6 TDI (Stage2)
2nd in a Rapid 1.6 TDI (Street setup)
-dextertuned's (he's on this forum) time on his Vento was good enough for 2nd in the Diesel Open, if he had participated. Incredible!

Diesel Pro stock 1601 to 2000 cc:
1st in my Laura 2.0 TDI (Stage2)

Diesel Open:
1st in my Laura 2.0 TDI (Stage2)
-I set the fastest time by a diesel car at the event! - on the way to comprehensively beating BMW 530ds & Jaguars in this class

Forced Induction 1601 to 2000 cc:
2nd in my Laura 2.0 TDI (Stage2)

Overall, a great event, and we had awesome fun!
Super kudos to the organizers for pulling this one off.
Drag racing is back in Bangalore, and is here to stay indeed!

Here's a pic & couple of videos of my runs at the event:

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img20160411wa0077.jpg

Disclaimer: No, I didn't insert the background music. That was at the event.
P.S: If you notice, I went back to my OZs. Just can't stay away from them.

The Valley Run - March 2016: Aamby Valley

I set the fastest time by a diesel car at the event in my TOT tuned Laura, on the way to winning the 1751-2050cc class - the final timing being quicker than tuned Audis, Mercs, Jaguars & BMWs of the next/higher cc class!.

We won 2 special awards as well (Thanks Mr.Rongom):
'Best Tuner of the event, Diesel car - TuneOTronics'
'Fastest Indian car - Diesel'

Am very proud of the achievement, especially because I was running my Street tune. That's right!
Sid and Vivek were dead in the middle of building a Stage2 Laura 1.8 TSI out of town, so they couldn't make it to the event with me (one of them normally does)
What this meant was that I drove to the event in the tune I run everyday, and ran the event as it is.
I won my class by a whisker, but a win's a win. On my street tune, unbelievable! Kudos TuneOTronics (Sid & Vivek)

Here's a video of the run:
Disclaimer: My wife's phone is faster than my car ;-), and no, I didn't insert the background music. That was at the event.

But this got me thinking, I needed to find a solution to such scenarios. We'd developed a sweet Race tune for such events, and it would be a shame not to use it.
TuneOTronics gave me a solution. Enter - The Kraken!

The Kraken!

So, TuneOTronics got me my own personalized flashing device, called the Kraken.
It can hold up to 5 different tuned files, in addition to stock. You could also just have your stock & tuned file on the device for example.
Does not need to be charged, and simply works off of your laptop (USB) or car (OBD port).

TOT will send you software for your laptop, and your tuned files.
Connect the Kraken to the laptop, and load the tuned files to your personalized device.

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_074747782_hdr.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_080155206_hdr.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_080226366.jpg

Once done, take the Kraken to the car, connect to the OBD port, choose the file you want to flash.

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_083425802.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_083510252_hdr.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_083706633_hdr.jpg

The files I've chosen on my device are in line with TOT's remap lineup:
  • Stage1 Street = Is their optimized street remap on a stock setup (In the case of my Laura, 177 BHP at wheel on a dyno)
  • Stage1+ = is a more aggressive remap, still safe, designed to extract more from a stock setup itself. Performance will lie in between Stage1 & Stage2
  • Stage2 = a.k.a Stage2-Street & involves harware upgrades. In my case, an OE turbo kit. And this is a street/daily drive tune which exploits the benefits of the hardware upgrade (In the case of my Laura, 196 BHP at wheel on a dyno)
  • Race (Track) = a.k.a Stage2-Race is an evolution of the Stage2 tune, with a reduced peak, but a flatter torque curve (holds torque longer than Stage2-Street) across the entire rpm range. Give me good traction and acceleration out of corners, while keeping combustion temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures in check for a track day
  • Race (Drag) = is also an evolution of Stage2-Street, but is an all out aggressive tune from the get go, which is fine for a high speed run, but should not be abused all day (202 BHP at wheel on a dyno). I in fact, don't even practice drag runs with this tune, and stick to my Stage2 (street) tune. I only use this for drag races.
- Of course, each specialized tune has a different cost attached to it.
- They also have Stage2 & Stage3 kits available for many VAG Turbo Petrols (especially the 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI engines) and many VAG Turbo Diesels (especially the 1.6 TDI & 2.0 TDI engines), feel free to contact them if interested.

If you ever need a tweak to your tune, they will email you the file for your Kraken, load that onto the device and flash again. As simple as that!

213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_083952554.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_084159595.jpg
213 WHP Laura TDI-VRS| Tons of mods (only OE parts)| Won Drags,AutoX,Sprint| Clocked 2:05.69 at MMRT-img_20160507_090448468.jpg

-Kraken can also diagnose and clear error codes, which is an added plus.
-Every Kraken device is locked to a single ECU/Car, and hence will not work on another car.
-This device costs Rs.20,000, and is pretty awesome if you need to switch b/w 2 or more tunes based on need.

I'm amazed at how simple it is to use, but I know a lot of work went in by TOT to perfect it's functionality. Cheers guys, and thanks a ton!

Launch control!

Remember my DSG remap which was done some time ago? There was one piece missing from it, and that was Launch Control. We never could dedicate time to it all this while.
But over a recent weekend, we got together and worked on it, and voila! We successfully programmed Launch Control onto my DSG, true to the European TDI VRS spec.

So from now onwards, for Rs.15,000 - TuneOTronics will provide you for your DSG, as a package:
-Launch control (if your DSG is compatible. Not all gearboxes are)
-Higher Torque limitations (in sync with the kind of tune you're running on your engine)
-Quicker shift times
-Customized shift points if you need a specific change

Here's how to engage control:
-Traction Control off
-Shift DSG lever into Tiptronic/Manual mode or Sport mode
-Left foot on the brake, full throttle with your right foot. At which point, it will rev freely to 2000rpm with clutch engaged, thereby engaging launch control mode.
-When ready to launch (and it won't sit in this mode forever), just let go of the brake

Here's a video of me engaging launch control, followed by an acceleration run from 0-100 on a closed, non-public road:
I'd set a speed warning at 100 kph, so I know when to stop accelerating, which is the beep your hear towards the end with a message on the dashboard.

Here's a video of just the acceleration from 0-100 on a closed, non-public road (cut from the same video above):
Going by the speedo, I apparently did the 0-100 in 6.78s. But the speedo has errors, which is why I had a vbox connected in parallel, which recorded 6.90s

The car has now run 95,000 kms, and it still does this consistently. I did 3 runs that day, and they were all within 0.1 of each other. Speaks volumes about the quality of the TOT remaps.

At this juncture, I've completed everything I wanted to on the car. The project is officially complete.
I'll continue to keep this thread posted.
Cheers!
Did I say I was done?
Nah, I'm trying to convince myself of that, but it apparently ain't happenning.
Thank goodness I have my OE theme going on the car, else there would be no end. Now, it's just harder to find more things to do.

I have my eyes now set on a set of PZeros, and I can hear Narain Karthikeyan calling...

Finally wanted to share this link:
http://www.cartoq.com/10-insanely-fa...cars-of-india/
My Rapid and my Laura both feature in this list. Nice!

Last edited by kryptonite : 7th May 2016 at 20:35.
kryptonite is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote