Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th January 2016, 23:30   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default RTO seizes DC-modified car for structural modifications

Something that was reported in Mumbai Mirror some days ago. Even the RTO found DCs car as odd looking

Quote:
RTO seizes DC-modified car for structural modifications-picsart_010611.28.08.jpg
RTO OFFICERS GET TO THE BOTTOM OF ODD-LOOKING CARíS MYSTERY
RTO OFFICERS GET TO THE BOTTOM OF ODD-LOOKING CARíS MYSTERY

Inspector Anandram Wagle of RTO Vashi who led the operation along with his Andheri counterpart inspector Pravin Sarjerao said that the car was in violation of the Motor Vehicles Act on multiple counts -- the body shell of the car had been cut, reducing its length; the A, B and C pillars of the vehicle had been altered, compromising the structural strength of the vehicle; the four-door vehicle had been converted into a two-door one; and the car meant to seat five now seats only two.
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: RTO seizes DC-modified car for structural modifications

Moving the post out to an independent thread, hoping it discourages others. Such modifications can completely destroy a car's on-road behaviour. I cringe every time I see someone hack the roof & pillars off a regular sedan to make it a convertible!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:49   #3
BHPian

I don't think the car was modified by DC, the article did not mention it anywhere! A local garage was responsible for this contraption. Or am I missing something here?
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 13:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a news some days back about the Vashi RTO Seizing a stretched Scorpio. Looks like there is a crackdown.

RTO seizes DC-modified car for structural modifications-scorpiostretchseized2.jpg

Quote:

Two models of the Mahindra Scorpio that were illegally modified to the length of a limousine were seized by the flying squad of the Vashi RTO. The RTO officials said that modifying the dimensions of the car is a violation as per the Motor Vehicles Act.

The vehicles that were seized in Vashi and Andheri were registered in Gujarat and belong to a limousine company known as NWT Limo International located in Anand, Gujarat. The vehicles were hired for a function in Mumbai at a princely sum of Rs.10, 000 per hour.
I like the way they are actually measuring to show that it has been lengthened.

Source: Motoroids
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 15:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

On one hand, the RTO are taking the right steps!

On the other hand, who can evaluate and assess modifications and certify them. This would encourage, tuners, kit car builders etc.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 15:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore police had started this long time ago. about 5-6 years ago, I was part of Silver Arrow - a Bangalore based company into custom motorbikes. we were into making choppers out of Bullets. one of our customer had already spoken of RTO creating trouble for him and that he had to use his political connections to evade cops.
Our focus too started to wane away from making choppers.

shouldn't all the custom bullets in the country be in trouble then?
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 16:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Something that was reported in Mumbai Mirror some days ago. Even the RTO found DCs car as odd looking
I saw this contraption in a lane near Four Bunglaws RTO late last year. It looked much worse in flesh.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 17:47   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is definitely a DC creation. It's called the DC Arka and is based out of a Maruti 1000. I believe this modification was done more than a decade ago and was also listed on his website.

The only difference then and now are the headlights which have been changed and the hard top.

Link: http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1999_dc_design_arka/
Attached Images

Last edited by Eddy : 12th January 2016 at 00:45. Reason: As requested
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote