Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th September 2006, 13:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

It would definately be illegal according to RTO rules.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 15:03   #17
BANNED

ELF!!! You're becoming really serious these days man!!!

So, the car will become equally a serious affair on the roads and without RTO approval it will have a very serious time after going topless.

But let them eat it. Get your job done on a Zen (classic maybe) and you will have a very hot ride for yourselves. And you know how much thrill a hot one can bring in when it's topless!!!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 18:08   #18
elf
BANNED

Regarding the seriousness:
Budhapey mein sab kuch serious ho jaata hai, betaaaa (to be said like AK Hangal, or is it AH Kangaal?.)

And to the tune of "Man on the Moon" by REM:
All the hot ones & their toplessness. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Lousy handling cars & their jellyness. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Seriously, though, need to get my hands on the RTO Rules & Regulations - any idea where I can get them for Bombay?

Last edited by elf : 19th September 2006 at 18:09.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 02:57   #19
BHPian

ELF alteration to vehicles is possible.

Here are excerpts from Motor Vehicles Act (MVA) 1914 / 1939 and 1988. (Courtesy Cybersteering)

Alteration in Motor Vehicle (Section 52 MVAct)

No vehicle can be altered to an extent that the particulars containing in the registration certificate are no longer accurate.
Before doing any alterations, it is necessary to have permission of the concerned RTO.
After carrying out the alteration, the owner must forward the certificate of registration to the RTO within 14 days, for making necessary corrections.

But will chopping of the roof alter any particulars in the registration certificate??? That you'll have to figure out.

BTW RTO Thane has a form B.T.I to inform the RTO of these alterations (http://www.rtothane.org/images/forms/form_bti.pdf)

Good Luck!

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 20th September 2006 at 02:59.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 03:23   #20
elf
BANNED

Thanks Gr8 - tussi sach-much great ho.

The rest of the khotas were only messing around - you're the only one who attempted to answer my questions.

And by the way, speedzak, you need to get your hands on a copy of the various acts & laws as well, especially since you're considering an engine swap / turbocharging...
Been reading up on your planned mod jobs.
Old 20th September 2006, 04:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Great Idea. Its been on my mind do something like this as well. I'd say go for it.
  • As far as RTOs, call up DC's office and see if can get any leads. He's done so many chop jobs, all in MH.
  • You're gonna loose both torsional and longitudinal stiffness. so you need to think about where to position reinforcements carefully.
  • Carbon has a longer F door, so by blocking off rear door you will affect access.
  • You need to convert the front door to frameless type
  • Fabbing a soft top with linkages is not easy, sourcing it from another vehicle is the easiest.
  • You also need a new hinge pillar for the rear hatch
Let me know if you are serious and we can go into more detail.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 20:50   #22
BANNED

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
And by the way, speedzak, you need to get your hands on a copy of the various acts & laws as well, especially since you're considering an engine swap / turbocharging...
Been reading up on your planned mod jobs.
Jee haan! Jee haan! Par aisa kyun yaar???
I'll have to brush up my info about these to stay away from trouble.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 22:40   #23
SRK
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!
A fun Project..
How about these stuff:-
Hydraulics..(to make the car dance)
Huge Chrome wheels..
Automatic roof..
Loud Audio setup..

If I had the money..I would have done those above things on a zen classic.

Imagine a gold classic with chrome all around..Lowered to the ground with its Huge chrome wheels half inside the wheel wells..And loud music playing...
And the roof drops down to let the cool air flow in..
Wow what a dream..I think I need to sleep....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 01:13   #24
elf
BANNED

Forgive my French, SRK, & no offence, but pimping my ride ain't my style. The keyword there being pimp!

It is a fun project, but I'd like to do this the right way.

Thanks for the support, Mpower. I'd already had your points in mind when I thought of the idea. I'll contact you &/or post on this thread, once I get the clearance on the legal aspect & the insurance companies.
Old 21st September 2006, 01:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Get some pep, get an engine swap while you're at it. And also source the JDM Suzuki AWD kit. Screw chassis rigidity, everyone and their NOSed cars will be trailing you for miles.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 02:09   #26
elf
BANNED

Vip3r: Hold your horses son! If I'm gonna run an engine swap & chuck in the AWD kit, I might as well dump the damn body & build a freakin' cart!

If I had that kinda moolah, I'd be doing something reserved & sensible, & would be swapping my current engine for a 2.4L MIVEC into my existing ride, na?

Besides which, if I do what most of you lolitas are advising me to do, it would be like putting some freshly made jelly into a slingshot & letting go...
Old 21st September 2006, 02:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, all I think of is going faster.

But look at it this way, some dude comes up to you at a signal, looks and says "Chah, no structural rigidity. Chassis flexes like a plastic scale. And all that on a puny little car with no power". He's still saying this when you drive home and park your car. Sounds nice naa?

You can have all this, and it won't show. It'll be a sleeper. Though sleeper is the wrong word to use for a one-off topless hatchback.
Old 21st September 2006, 02:58   #28
elf
BANNED

I appreciate your sentiment vip3r, I really do.

But I've got nothing to prove to anyone about speed or anything else (& people who know me will vouch for that!).

Whatever mods I do to my ride ain't about bragging rights, showing off or putting people down. It's about doing it for the satisfaction of a job well done, the power & handling whenever I want it, & the joy that I feel everytime I get into it or think about it.

Cars are my passion & an expensive (according to wifey) hobby. It's what I do when I'm free. If left to my own devices, I'll keep screwing around with my Lancer till it's unscrewable, then I'll be stuck for my daily drive & will start disliking it, which is what I did with my Esteem. Hence this Convertible project.
Old 21st September 2006, 03:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Chah, now I have to find someone else and chabi them into getting an AWD kit! Just kidding!

Btw, what happened to the Esteem?

And what have you finally decided upon? The Matiz would be ideal, though, dare I say it, a topless Santro wouldn't look too bad either. The high waistline thing helps.
Old 21st September 2006, 03:21   #30
elf
BANNED

Yeah it does... please read my first post on this thread for details why...

I sold the Esteem after 16 years in Feb of this year. Was a really ****ty day for me, but I had to let it go - was taking up too much time, money & was getting to be unusable.