Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,871
Thanked: 11,752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks Anurag for detailed analysis. You are right that the ground wire you see on the tip of the bulb is what causing the shadow.
One more doubt I have with regards to the bulb is in the box at there is a metal cup like in front end of the bulb.

Is that too installed with the bulb or not required? If not installed, can you try one bulb with that metal cup?

Name:  ForumRunner_20160202_105156.png
Views: 1779
Size:  402.1 KB

I have seen that kind of cup-like thing in my Ertiga whereas it isn't present in my Swift so it all boils down on the reflector design.

What do you say?
a4anurag is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:58   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,871
Thanked: 3,712 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks Anurag for detailed analysis. You are right that the ground wire you see on the tip of the bulb is what causing the shadow. We tried fitting it such that the brown wire stays at 6o clock position or 12 o clock position. At 6 o clock position, the shadow disappears but light is very very limited. At 12 o clock the shadow stays which is default setup of this HID kit.

We have tried with two different kind of bulbs and results are no different. The last check due - if I can source a Philips and an Osram HID bulb each to try with this setup so as to conclude the bulb to be faulty if at all.
Just adding my doubts. Is this a D2S or a D2R bulb? P8 HID kits usually come as a conversion oriented kit so is it so that they have given a D2R which is meant for reflectors?

The shadow is caused by the rod running parallel to the bulb. Ideally the bulb should be mounted upside down for this problem to be solved. Here is why:

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hl.jpg

The rod or the return wire should ideally fall in the cutoff zone of the projector whereas in yours it is falling in the actual transmission zone. Hence, fixing the bulb upside down should solve this issue.

If that isnt possible, you should try a bulb with a reflective rod than the dark one shown here.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One more doubt I have with regards to the bulb is in the box at there is a metal cup like in front end of the bulb.
No no, that was picture only thing. No such cap. The bulbs inside the kit were not with any cap at tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Just adding my doubts. Is this a D2S or a D2R bulb? P8 HID kits usually come as a conversion oriented kit so is it so that they have given a D2R which is meant for reflectors?
It seems like D2S. But I am not sure. The Kit is for D2S for sure. We tried rotating the bulbs and the shadows disappear like you said but the light is too poor. Do you have an example of bulbs with reflective rod? May be I can try buying one somewhere online and try.

Another question, does bulbs and ballasts interchangeable? Like say if i buy just the bulbs from other kit and use on this P8 HID ballasts?

Last edited by abirnale : 2nd February 2016 at 11:03.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:12   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 995
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is this a D2S or a D2R bulb?
This is a D2S setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The rod or the return wire should ideally fall in the cutoff zone of the projector whereas in yours it is falling in the actual transmission zone. Hence, fixing the bulb upside down should solve this issue.

If that isnt possible, you should try a bulb with a reflective rod than the dark one shown here.
We have tried this audioholic, we rotated the bulbs and nothing materialized out of it. So we are still unware what's the exact issue is We are trying different options and nothing is in our favor as of now.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:14   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,108
Thanked: 18,286 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One more doubt I have with regards to the bulb is in the box at there is a metal cup like in front end of the bulb.

Is that too installed with the bulb or not required? If not installed, can you try one bulb with that metal cup?

Attachment 1467475

I have seen that kind of cup-like thing in my Ertiga whereas it isn't present in my Swift so it all boils down on the reflector design.

What do you say?
That metal cap is for H4 HID kit. The photo is generic. In H4 HID bulbs you need the cap to switch from low to high beam since the light source is just one. In H4 halogen bulbs there are 2 filaments.

The XUV has H7 for low beam which is single filament. So the HID bulb will be simpler without metal shield.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:20   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,871
Thanked: 3,712 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

We have tried this audioholic, we rotated the bulbs and nothing materialized out of it. .
Dont tell me nothing happened when you rotated it. The shadow should move position when you rotate it. Hence, you can rotate it to such an extent that the shadow will fall in the upper half of the area which is anyways blocked by the cutoff plate in the projector. Else it will be an obstruction in the projector itself.

Check out philips D2S bulbs(Xtremevision) they have a white rod which should create a lesser shadow compared to a one with a dark rod.

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd February 2016 at 11:22.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:31   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 995
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Dont tell me nothing happened when you rotated it. The shadow should move position when you rotate it. Hence, you can rotate it to such an extent that the shadow will fall in the upper half of the area which is anyways blocked by the cutoff plate in the projector. Else it will be an obstruction in the projector itself.

Check out philips D2S bulbs(Xtremevision) they have a white rod which should create a lesser shadow compared to a one with a dark rod.
I meant to say the cut off was not there and the illumination was similar to a fog lamp. I drove one day from office to home with rotated bulbs and literally I could not drive. And yes the shadow effect was not there. So that option was also ruled out.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,871
Thanked: 11,752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Check out philips D2S bulbs(Xtremevision) they have a white rod which should create a lesser shadow compared to a one with a dark rod.
Is this the difference in rod that you telling?

Name:  ForumRunner_20160202_121635.png
Views: 1646
Size:  147.7 KB


Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I meant to say the cut off was not there and the illumination was similar to a fog lamp.
PS: Image source is from TAI website.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:37   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,871
Thanked: 3,712 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Bumped on this post again -



Is there any similarity to conclude here? Anyone sees it otherwise?
So you should be getting a new head light assembly? That's what I see. Maybe the problem didn't appear very sharp work with filament bulbs.

In the Post you quoted, the right lamp looked okay to me. Problem only existed in the left side.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:43   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So you should be getting a new head light assembly?
Basically I am asking if our problems are same Or they are different? If problems are same, chances are that solutions would be same too. As i see the pictures Maneesh posted, they are different kind of defect in headlight. Easy to prove as defect. What we have are peculiar problems. RM/ SA wont be able to defend it for claims.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,871
Thanked: 11,752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

Basically I am asking if our problems are same Or they are different? What we have are peculiar problems. RM/ SA wont be able to defend it for claims.
AFAIK in the pictures posted by Maneesh, the shadow isn't being produced due to the bulb but that is some crack or like mould growth inside the lens which is causing the shadow to be protected.

In your case that is not the issue as I still feel the issue is lying with the bulb set.

Can you try adding the same setup in any other XUV to check if the bulbs are to be blamed or the projector setup?

Since both of own two different generation XUV's, with different design of projectors, I'll still put my doubt on the P8 bulbs.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:24   #27
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Bumped on this post again -

Is there any similarity to conclude here? Anyone sees it otherwise?
I do not see any similarity here abirnale.

I think we need to get info from more owners who have done HID upgrades.
If there is something with the projectors, we could pass it on to Mahindra (I dont suspect this though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So you should be getting a new head light assembly? That's what I see. Maybe the problem didn't appear very sharp work with filament bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you try adding the same setup in any other XUV to check if the bulbs are to be blamed or the projector setup?

Since both of own two different generation XUV's, with different design of projectors, I'll still put my doubt on the P8 bulbs.
I have been waiting for an outcome to this issue on P8s as I have also zeroed in on P8 55W 4300Ks for my 2012 XUV.

But the case is getting complex and without result, do you know any other fellow bhpians who have got HID upgrades to their XUV5OOs.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:29   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
But the case is getting complex and without result, do you know any other fellow bhpians who have got HID upgrades to their XUV5OOs.
Many have done this. But not a single instance I have found with P8. People have used Philips, Osram, Morimoto frequently. Very few XS Performance HIDs and P8 i haven't heard of in XUV yet. And that seems to be my mistake.

If you want to have a peace of mind, please don't go with P8. Just get something standard like Philips or Morimoto.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:36   #29
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Many have done this. But not a single instance I have found with P8. People have used Philips, Osram, Morimoto frequently. Very few XS Performance HIDs and P8 i haven't heard of in XUV yet. And that seems to be my mistake.

If you want to have a peace of mind, please don't go with P8. Just get something standard like Philips or Morimoto.
But Abirnale, I still have a feeling that it is not with P8. This should probably be independent instance. And hope yours will get sorted soon as we try all the sources. I will surely wait till we all together get an update here.

Let me try to get some info through the seller who seems to be well informed on the HID ball game (according to him)

Btw have you contacted Armitras in the meanwhile on the same. It would be great to hear their story. ?
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,871
Thanked: 11,752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
But Abirnale, I still have a feeling that it is not with P8. This should probably be independent instance.
Initially I was in the same thought that it was not P8 that is to be blamed but the projectors in the XUV.

But later realized that Abirnale has the newer generation whereas Sunay has older one. The common thing between them is the P8 HID kit.

The options they have is get another P8 set or try the current bulbs on another XUV or else get a Philips or Osram kit to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Btw have you contacted Armitras in the meanwhile on the same.
I am planning to send an email with the pictures they are facing.

Let's see what they respond.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline classic86 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 15th February 2012 20:00
Projector setup for Fiesta, that's already has HID? fiesta_21 Modifications & Accessories 17 3rd December 2011 11:47
Escape Velo'city' - Polished Metal Metallic V-AT (Quasar) joins Silver Streak, Shadow foodie Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 5 11th May 2010 13:14
My Silver Shadow - Ford Fiesta bharanidharang Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 6th March 2010 12:53
Rolls-Royce silver shadow spotted in mumbai diesel_headrock Post-War 7 9th November 2006 21:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks