Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:18   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

I found an annoying pattern in the HIDs now.

For past 5 days, the left side bulb did not lit up for 3 times.

On Saturday, I checked all cables, connectors and put it back. It was lit back. On Monday it happened again. So I only touched the connecters to ensure they snug fit. And the light was back on. Today was height of it - The same left hid bulb did not lit up. So I only opened the bonnet and shut off since i noticed I was getting late to work. And when car started again to move out of parking, the light came on!

Isn't this kind of paranormal?

There were few suggestions that came up meanwhile -
- Try putting bulbs without the rubber dust cap and the rubber bushing on those wires to block dust. That may move the focal point by few mm and things may improve.
- Insert another washer on the bulb at the base so that it stays few millimeters outside the regular position. That may also move the focal point by few mm and things may resolve.

But with this approach, I find it difficult to sustain the things for long. With various bumpy road rides, this can get disturbed. Or the pin holding the bulbs in place may come out loose sooner than otherwise.

More the investigations, the direction of the results point to faulty/ below par done bulbs and this P8 Kit! A more sane idea running through my mind now is - revert to stock for now and setup Philips HID kits with a different accessories shop who can guarantee charges only if things work!

By the way, in last two pages, this ownership thread has turned into the HID + XUV discussion! Hence I have requested to carve out these posts out of ownership threads into a dedicated thread for this purpose. Waiting for mods to take actions if deemed fit.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:42   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,557
Thanked: 68,142 Times
Default Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Thanks for sharing, Abirnale. As per your reported post, the HID posts have been moved out to a new thread .

If you'd like the thread renamed, please report this post with your suggestion.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:47   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 989
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Isn't this kind of paranormal?
I sense this to be a polarity difference while connecting back. Probably when you had removed the entire ballast and bulbs, while fitting it back the polarity has reversed and it is leading to this problem of switching on and off. I had read somewhere about the same.

Just check on the polarity of the power supply from the OEM cable to the pins of the HID bulb.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:54   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,636
Thanked: 3,042 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
There were few suggestions that came up meanwhile -
- Try putting bulbs without the rubber dust cap and the rubber bushing on those wires to block dust. That may move the focal point by few mm and things may improve.
- Insert another washer on the bulb at the base so that it stays few millimeters outside the regular position. That may also move the focal point by few mm and things may resolve.

But with this approach, I find it difficult to sustain the things for long. With various bumpy road rides, this can get disturbed. Or the pin holding the bulbs in place may come out loose sooner than otherwise.
Mate, I would suggest you to plonk in some extra bucks and get a Philips or an Osram kit and one which is genuine. Not saying that it will solve your problem, but I would bet on that any day compared to P8 or such stuff. They are nothing but rebranded chinese stuff.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:54   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Abirnale. As per your reported post, the HID posts have been moved out to a new thread
Thank you, this is perfect! I am sure many more of our readers would be benefitted from these learnings and discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I sense this to be a polarity difference while connecting back.
I think it is to do with some loose connections or else grounding issues!

To make things more clearer, I came up with this thought process inline with our earlier discussions on ground wire position - see pictures.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-morimoto_h7_xb_hid_bulbs_3_1.jpg

Name:  PhilipsHID.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  Osram5500.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  149.6 KB

The Morimoto and Philips are perfect D2S, 35W H7 kits. While Osram although has flexibility to fit the way you want. A quick chat with many folks in and outside Bangalore owning XUVs and having done the HID upgrades, confirmed that their Morimoto and Philips kits are rock solid, no issues even after 2 years!

Thanks everyone for all your nuts, suggestions and direct/ indirect contribution to this discussion.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:55   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,555
Thanked: 10,390 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
More the investigations, the direction of the results point to faulty/ below par done bulbs and this P8 Kit! A more sane idea running through my mind now is - revert to stock for now and setup Philips HID kits with a different accessories shop who can guarantee charges only if things work!
I had posted this problem which you were facing on another automotive forum (post your permission) and here is the response from them to now:

Name:  ForumRunner_20160203_095316.png
Views: 1103
Size:  58.6 KB

I still feel you visit another dealer and ask him to fit a Philips or Osram Kit. If that works then chuck this P8 kit for the good. Better to return it to EVO add the bulbs would still be under warranty/guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Abirnale. As per your reported post, the HID posts have been moved out to a new thread
Thank you Avinash and GTO for creating a separate thread rather than killing the ownership review to a HID troubleshooting thread.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd February 2016 at 10:01.
a4anurag is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:09   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 989
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
To make things more clearer, I came up with this thought process inline with our earlier discussions on ground wire position
Here is my analysis on the bulbs and their fitting pattern on XUV,

Name:  1454473298825.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  166.6 KB

Above image shows the projector setup inside the headlight assembly. I have marked the top and bottom position of the projector setup and here we can see the provision for the prong in the bottom (6 o clock position). So when we fit the bulbs the ground wire will be sitting at 12 o clock position. Also when we thought of having the ground wire at 6 o clock position and rotated the bulbs it was a wrong fit and beams were not perfect (See the cut off line coming in the bottom)

Here is the picture for the same,

Name:  1453787670890.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  174.3 KB

And as you mentioned if we have to try the focal point of the bulbs, I put this image to compare and see if it has to do something with the position of the bulbs. IMO the base of the bulbs are similar and it should not be an issue.

Name:  1454468812154.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  126.2 KB

But still the logic of the focal point makes sense, since our projector is a D2S setup and the ground wire is at 12 o clock position the light is illuminated with a shadow. This analysis is based on the image below,

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img20160202wa0000.jpg

Now it is getting interesting to see what is the root cause of these shadows, and I am more eager to know this.

Last edited by fusionbang : 3rd February 2016 at 11:11.
fusionbang is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:17   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Here is my analysis on the bulbs and their fitting pattern on XUV.
Awesome Sunay!

A new found friend who owns XUV had setup a Morimoto kit. he had similar issues. Using the headlight screws, adjusted the holder itself in such a way that the shadow is out of the beam. It will still be there but not visible on the road. It will fall inside the assembly itself and hence not a trouble.

And guess what, he did this with the help of a technician who works at Anant cars on Bannerghatta Road! He will recall the names of the technician and I will hit their doors tomorrow. Lets see!
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:28   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,636
Thanked: 3,042 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome Sunay!

It will fall inside the assembly itself and hence not a trouble.

!
This is what I have been suggesting. Just make the shadow fall on the upper half of the beam so that it just gets cut off. From the image of the headlight assembly its clear that the notch is placed in the bottom. This implies the return rod is above the bulb when you install it. But ideally, it should be below the bulb. If rotating the bulb isnt possible then you can cut the notch and manually place the bulb in the required angle of rotation. This problem was not observed with the halogen bulb since it has a very thin wire which doesnt create a shadow. And since this projector was designed for the H7 bulb which has a axial filament, it wont matter how you install it. But with HID, the notch should have been placed above.

If you rotate the bulb with the notch still present, it wont sit in the required space and hence will be positioned slantly inside the projector. THis is why you faced illumination issues when you tried to rotate it. Hence, cut the notch and then position it manually.

Focal point shouldnt be a serious issue in projectors compared to a reflector. The lens of the projector will do the final focussing job and not the reflecting dome. In a reflector setup, a slight change in the location of the filament will make a huge difference in light throw.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd February 2016 at 11:35.
audioholic is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:50   #40
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 384
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am planning to send an email with the pictures they are facing.

Let's see what they respond.
Great, an update on this would be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I found an annoying pattern in the HIDs now.
For past 5 days, the left side bulb did not lit up for 3 times.
The problems with P8 seems to be never ending now. I suspect this is something in combination with the projector too.

Would a CAN BUS sort this issue out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Abirnale. As per your reported post, the HID posts have been moved out to a new thread .
Great. I quite well deserved an independent thread. Much Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Mate, I would suggest you to plonk in some extra bucks and get a Philips or an Osram kit and one which is genuine.
On my investigation I had found Xenarcs made in China. Same with Philips.
Both their web pages could not give the distributor details in the region (Kerala)

Is there an contact details of the customer support for both these brands.
How do we recognize genuine products of each. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
The Morimoto and Philips are perfect D2S, 35W H7 kits. While Osram although has flexibility to fit the way you want. A quick chat with many folks in and outside Bangalore owning XUVs and having done the HID upgrades, confirmed that their Morimoto and Philips kits are rock solid, no issues even after 2 years!
With your experience I am also switching this to Philips. I got in touch with AVS tuning in Mumbai who told me about shipping them free of cost. But I am more keen on Philips/Osram.

Let me know of your selection
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:56   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
With your experience I am also switching this to Philips. I got in touch with AVS tuning in Mumbai who told me about shipping them free of cost. But I am more keen on Philips/Osram.
I too reached them but no response. How much they quoted? Any claims/ directions to fit in XUV?

I meanwhile gotten in touch with few more folks and seems like some have this shadow issue. The art is in adjusting the bulbs without loosing light throw/ spread and align it such that the shadow falls inside the headlight assembly itself and so never observed. Got some clues on the adjustment and who to reach out. But more on that if it succeeds. Weekend will be spent doing this it seems
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:35   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,636
Thanked: 3,042 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Is there an contact details of the customer support for both these brands.
How do we recognize genuine products of each. ?
Though almost everything and anything is made in china, the quality can greatly vary. To ensure that it is genuine, purchase from an authorised distributor. In bangalore, there is a distributor called AK Traders somewhere in JC Road who can source genuine products. Else getting it from germany or any other country with RHD would be ideal.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 16:17   #43
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 384
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: My Orange Cheetah, 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I too reached them but no response. How much they quoted? Any claims/ directions to fit in XUV?
Below is the email from AVS Tuning.

AVS Tuning Support <support@avstuning.com>
Hi Jim,You can check all the prices at avstuning.com
Though we do not have the h7 bulbs in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
But more on that if it succeeds. Weekend will be spent doing this it seems
Please update the same with Pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Though almost everything and anything is made in china, the quality can greatly vary. To ensure that it is genuine, purchase from an authorised distributor. In bangalore, there is a distributor called AK Traders somewhere in JC Road who can source genuine products. Else getting it from germany or any other country with RHD would be ideal.
I have got a few contacts of distributors in Cochin. I shall check with them too. Also please let me know of the prices or share the contacts of the ones in JC Road, getting them from Bangalore may not be a challenge to me.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:04   #44
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 384
Thanked: 250 Times
Default

Quick update : just got in touch with Osram marketing team in south and also Philips dealer here in Cochin. Yet to get the prices of Osram, should get them tomorrow.

Philips is around 12K though the dealer.
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Default Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Quick update
Do ask them about "preferred" dealer in Bangalore who preferably can do setup at doorstep. And forget not to refer to this thread and shadow problem - a guarantee of careful, reliable installation will win him and his dealer at least 10-15 more installations, I promise
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline classic86 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 15th February 2012 20:00
Projector setup for Fiesta, that's already has HID? fiesta_21 Modifications & Accessories 17 3rd December 2011 11:47
Escape Velo'city' - Polished Metal Metallic V-AT (Quasar) joins Silver Streak, Shadow foodie Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 5 11th May 2010 13:14
My Silver Shadow - Ford Fiesta bharanidharang Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 6th March 2010 12:53
Rolls-Royce silver shadow spotted in mumbai diesel_headrock Post-War 7 9th November 2006 21:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks