Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th September 2004, 02:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Gtech Pro

Hey guys.......
Is anyone using the Gtech Pro Performance Meter?
Just wanted to know a few things about it,like how accurate it is and the level of information provided.
Also is it available in India?? or has to be shopped over the net.
Thanks.
Cya.
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2004, 13:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey X-Machine,

I use the G-Tech and there are many who will vouch for it. It is said to be within 1% accuracy of the readings shown. Among other parameters, you can measure your 0 - 60 mph time, 60 - 0 braking time, the 1/4 mile time and lateral G's.

I have timed many cars in a 0 - 60 and the clock has always read around a tenth of the times posted by Autocarindia and Overdrive. Ditto for the 1/4 miles and braking times too.

Best of all, its very cheap ($50 from ebay) and extremely simple to use.

But dont get addicted to it. It will ruin your transmissions - especially if FWD.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2004, 23:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks dude.....
I checked up on e-bay.They only have the 1994 model available.
And on the G-tech pro website,they have only 2004 models(2)
available at the price of 199$ and 299$.
Temme one thing,is is worth this price?
And is it available with anyone in India?
Cya.
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey GTO
how does it screw up your engine ...
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 10:35   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lambo,

Using the Gtech is just too addictive. And constant clutch dumps to get a good timing is really really hard on the transmission. Heck, its easier to control your smoking than to keep the Gtech locked in the drawer for a month.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 13:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey GTO
I just wanted to know how does the GTech manage to collect data... RTech told me that the GTech is connected by a wire to the 12V output (Cig lighter)
Does the GTech have any kind of sensor/cable that connects to the ECU or something to get the information.
What all features does your model of the device carry.. can I connect it to my comp and download data? Do they have any software to support this?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 14:24   #7
DRC
BHPian

Moralfibre, I dunno how it works, But puttig my guess work.. ripple from the alternator is the best source to tap out of lighter socket..
I also understand that it uses the 3way accelerometers for accurate data on the vehicle physics...
One thing I also did not get is how could he calculate BHP with this data.. Then why the hell do we need the dynos?

GTO, you could try this experiment if you wish... disconnect the charger line from the alternator to battery and see if it still tell you about the RPM..

Last edited by DRC : 20th July 2005 at 14:26.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 09:15   #8
BHPian

This is the website: http://www.gtechpro.com/
The Gtech works only when the alternator is generating current. In fact the results are better if the headlights are switched on.
papaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 10:23   #9
BHPian

Red face

All - I know this is a pretty old thread, but I was reading through the gtech rr/ss user guide and had one question - for measuring rpm from the ciggie lighter, the gtech needs to be calibrated. More specifically, you need to hold your car at two rpm readings (eg 2k and 4k) for sometime and then it calibrates.
Now if my car has no tacho (its a santro ) then how do I know when my car is at 2k rpm or 4k rpm and hold the same to calibrate the gtech.
It is kinda like the chicken and egg problem, do I need a tacho in my car to calibrate the use of gtech as a tacho??

I am just a regular gadget freak, who thought of getting a gtech from ebay (if its real cheap not 199usd) for the sake of measuring rpms in my santro, as the santro has no tacho and it seems theres some probs fitting regular tachos in a santro as you get only half the true rpm (due to dual coils??)

Last edited by jassi : 15th August 2008 at 10:24.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Now if my car has no tacho (its a santro ) then how do I know when my car is at 2k rpm or 4k rpm and hold the same to calibrate the gtech.
It is kinda like the chicken and egg problem, do I need a tacho in my car to calibrate the use of gtech as a tacho??

I am just a regular gadget freak, who thought of getting a gtech from ebay (if its real cheap not 199usd) for the sake of measuring rpms in my santro, as the santro has no tacho and it seems theres some probs fitting regular tachos in a santro as you get only half the true rpm (due to dual coils??)
Jassi ! To my knowledge the Gtech is equipped with a Tachometer with shiftlights too and hence measuring RPM should not be a problem. As the basic functionality of a Gtech lies in
1.Handling G's,
2.Precision Sensors
3. A specific number of runs record
4. RPM meter
These are the some of the features which it is capable of and there might be other features too which am unaware of and maybe some of the experts who use might be of help.

So coming back to your query, i think you need not go for a specific tacho incase of going for a GTech. But then again the same query arises. Will you not face the same problem in your santro for using an inbuilt Tacho in Gtech ?

Experts do comment and correct me if am wrong.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:15   #11
BHPian

Smile

@vj - i know the gtech has a tacho which works from the lighter socket, which is why I want it - I don't think you understood my query.

as per the user guide http://www.gtechprosupport.com/suppo...uals/SS1.0.pdf you need to calibrate the gtech for it to accurately give you the rpm and shiftlight readings (see page 41-42 and 66). This calibration process requires you to input the redline rpm (which i can get off santro datasheet - 5500rpm) and then hold the car at specific rpms (eg.2k and 4k rpm), so that it can sense the current variations in the lighter at those rpms and create a reference for itself).
If i don't already have a tacho, how do I hold my car at 2k and 4k rpm for calibration of the gtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Jassi ! To my knowledge the Gtech is equipped with a Tachometer with shiftlights too and hence measuring RPM should not be a problem. As the basic functionality of a Gtech lies in
1.Handling G's,
2.Precision Sensors
3. A specific number of runs record
4. RPM meter
These are the some of the features which it is capable of and there might be other features too which am unaware of and maybe some of the experts who use might be of help.

So coming back to your query, i think you need not go for a specific tacho incase of going for a GTech. But then again the same query arises. Will you not face the same problem in your santro for using an inbuilt Tacho in Gtech ?

Experts do comment and correct me if am wrong.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vj - i know the gtech has a tacho which works from the lighter socket, which is why I want it - I don't think you understood my query.

as per the user guide http://www.gtechprosupport.com/suppo...uals/SS1.0.pdf you need to calibrate the gtech for it to accurately give you the rpm and shiftlight readings (see page 41-42 and 66). This calibration process requires you to input the redline rpm (which i can get off santro datasheet - 5500rpm) and then hold the car at specific rpms (eg.2k and 4k rpm), so that it can sense the current variations in the lighter at those rpms and create a reference for itself).
If i don't already have a tacho, how do I hold my car at 2k and 4k rpm for calibration of the gtech
Yea oh my bad! I think then in that case you need to have a RPM meter to gauge it to a gtech. Why dont you PM viper who might be able to answer it as some days back i had seen his GTECH pro for sale in our classified sections.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I am just a regular gadget freak, who thought of getting a gtech from ebay (if its real cheap not 199usd) for the sake of measuring rpms in my santro, ...
If its only RPM you are interested in, im sure you could find a much more affordable Tacho solution than the Gtech Pro RR/SS.

However, to answer your question on how to find 2kRPM and 4kRPM, you could either just get an electrician to connect a tacho to your santro temporarily just while you configure the Gtech - or alternatively, you might be able to use some sort of scantool / scanguage available at your a.s.s workshop. Lastly, you could always calculate using speed and gear rations and drive in a particular gear @ a certain speed which will be roughly 2kRPM and then again for 4kRPM.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:33   #14
BHPian

Red face

@vj thanks I did pm viper

@rehaan - yeah I am sure I can find something more affordable, but seems I can do a lot more with gtech (did i mention gadget freak hehe). well i am not expecting much out of it on my santro, but yeah its mobile and on my next car which will definitely be a more performance minded purchase, the gtech would be good to have!!
Ok so - indeed it is a chicken and egg problem and I will need some other form of rpm measurement to calibrate the gtech, hmm!!

Last edited by jassi : 15th August 2008 at 11:37.
Old 16th August 2008, 05:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Jassi,

I just assumed you have seen this thread, but maybe you havent > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...et-iphone.html (Dynolicious : Want to Dyno your car? Get an iPhone.)

Only flaw is that it does not have RPM measurement in the software, and also, maybe you dont have an iphone...?

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote