Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 9th September 2016, 09:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Annoying rear seatbelt..should I cut ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Small correction - even if it is ZERO kmph, if you are sitting inside a car, wear seat belt.....
Thanks for the correction

Absolutely! That was just said in context of the OP's 'I don't need it until X kmph' comment. Should've added a rider for traffic.

In an ideal world, everyone's first action once inside a car should be to reach over their shoulder (left or right based on seat) for the seat belt, and later remove it only once the car is parked safely away from any moving traffic. That alone will save lots of lives lost on our roads today.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:03   #17
BHPian

Q) My leg hurts, should I get rid of it?
A) No, please find a way to alleviate the pain.

I believe this analogy is appropriate because seatbelt is as essential as one's own leg

Please do not cut off the seatbelt, maybe put a baby's sock over it or something to eliminate rattle if you don't have clips to secure it in place.

Cutting off the seatbelt cripples a car as much as cutting off one's own leg.
bowser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:46   #18
BHPian

All right all right friends ! White flag on my door
I take my words back !

That's the beauty of team bhp...it's like a family and if some family member is into bad practice, you get some good hearted bashing !

Cheers !
abhaybakshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 15:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I take my words back !
Hi Abhaybakshi: This is not to bash you or make you take your words back! (that's only the bye-product, you can say) The main intention is served if we as a community can spread the awareness of simple safety aspects (like wearing seat belts, for instance) to other lay users. We ALL make foolish mistakes and some can be real costly ones! Our intention should be is to learn from these to the extent possible and ensure that we propagate these good things to other folks also.

Last edited by haria : 9th September 2016 at 15:33.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Seat belts are there for a reason.
Safety. Safety. Safety.

How much value would you place on your life? Or the life of your passenger?

I would say, cut those seatbelts at your own risk. Definitely not recommended by anyone who has a care about Safety aspects especially in todays world with crazy traffic and unpredictable situations!
Old 9th September 2016, 19:32   #21
BHPian

BTW you cant tuck the middle seatbelt between the backrest and seat in the Jazz as there is no space. The buckles for the side passengers are held in the slot by loops attached to the side of the slot. The middle seatbelt doesnt get covered fully, at best you can just get it to lie flat on the seat
Old 9th September 2016, 21:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I take my words back !

That's the beauty of team bhp...it's like a family and if some family member is into bad practice, you get some good hearted bashing !

Cheers !
We can only hope that you take in the right spirit.

I hope you or your loved ones NEVER have to go through a real-life demonstration of seat-belts being life-savers, but if you ever do, you'll know any words that came your way on this thread were only intended to keep you/yours safe.

Cheers
Old 9th September 2016, 21:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Got new Honda Jazz VMT yesterday. On rear bench, there is quite lot of loose seatbelt stuff which makes it uncomfortable for middle passenger. I was wondering that if I should cut middle seat belts (It is a pair at the centre of back seat) for more comfort. Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Has anyone actually did this ?
The Hon'ble Supreme Court has observed in the Supreme Court case (Civil) 295/2012 Rajaseekaran versus Union of India that on the National Highways, seat belts should be compulsory for rear seat passengers.

When a High Court rules on any matter it is a directive. When the Supreme Court pronounces on any matter it is law.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th September 2016 at 21:25.
Old 9th September 2016, 22:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And yes, I do understand the use of seat belt but in city where speed is never above 60KMPH, I dont think it serves any purpose ..especially at back seat.
In contrary to Darwin's Law, I will try to explain why you need rear seat-belts.

Imagine you are cruising along a 40 kmph, in fifth gear, on a 4 lane road with no oncoming traffic. Now imagine Mr. Spoilt Brat driving a 3 tonnee SUV driving at 140 kmph come up from behind and looses control during the overtake.

The seat-belts are a good idea.
Old 9th September 2016, 22:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering that if I should cut middle seat belts.
Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Not trying to offend you here, but I found the thread title question hilarious.

Then, once I read through your dilemma, I figured I need to ask you: do you ever carry 5 persons in your car? If the answer is an emphatic NO, I suppose you can unbolt the lapbelts of the rear middle seat, and store them safely - for the next person you sell the car to some day. Don't cut and irreversibly damage them.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 23:12   #26
BHPian

A lot of mid and large sized cars have seat belts for the middle seat. First please use them. If you don't then please don't chop it off - though I appreciate your candour and courage in asking such a question. Yes in India (and often overseas) back seater's don't put on the belt. I almost always do even in aapna desh regardless of what others may think. Some think I am an NRI because only NRI's do quirky stuff like that! Car speeds have gone up tremendously in the last 20 years in India. Why 60kmph, even 40kmph is more than enough to knock the stuffing out of anyone - including your luckless middle seat passenger. In my profession, aviation, we are taught about G forces and develop some understanding. In everyday driving the common man is usually clueless of de-acceleration and the physics behind it or what that means in real life. If while driving at 60kmph you were to hit some object that brought you to a grinding halt in 1/3rd of a second - well that would be 4.0G roughly and that middle seat passenger is quite likely going to go through your front wind screen. Often the middle seat is given to the youngest or the smallest - even easier to get tossed out. Please read this real life incident in post number 94. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post3527998 (ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians)
Old 10th September 2016, 00:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not trying to offend you here, but I found the thread title question hilarious.

Then, once I read through your dilemma, I figured I need to ask you: do you ever carry 5 persons in your car? If the answer is an emphatic NO, I suppose you can unbolt the lapbelts of the rear middle seat, and store them safely - for the next person you sell the car to some day. Don't cut and irreversibly damage them.
Even I had a similar thought about his query which is why I suggested the below quoted post. This, I believe, is easier to reverse (you just push back the lock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While it is ALWAYS recommended that all the passengers should put on their seat belts, if you still want to remove the center belt lock, push it back into the boot area through the fold between the seat bench and its back. Once it is in the boot space, tie it properly and wrap it with some soft cloth so that it doesn't rattle. This way you can always restore the seat belt the day you feel and understand the importance of it.
Old 10th September 2016, 01:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Yes, there are literally millions of people wearing rear seat belts in this world of ours! There are quite a number of countries where it is mandatory too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/backseat...e-experts-say/

An interesting quote from the below article:

Quote:
During a car accident at 30mph, a typical rear passenger is flung forward at 30mph with a force of 3.5tons. That is enough to crush the driver or front passenger fatally. The heavier the passenger, the more damage they cause.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-crash.html

Have a look why you should wear rear seat belts:

Enjoy, and buckle up, please, even in the rear seat, especially in the rear seat.

Jeroen
Old 10th September 2016, 07:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Team BHP encourages safe driving practices at all times. Please buckle up and drive safe!

OP: please go through our forum rules carefully before proceeding. We cannot allow such discussions on the forum. Thread closed.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread