Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th May 2004, 17:19   #1

Hi Friends,
I want to improve the ride of my Indigo which is a bit bumpy. Is it possible to tune the suspension? If possible will it affect the handling or milege? Any one plz give me some suggessions.
with luv,
Bhaskar.
bhaskarcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2004, 21:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

i dunno how easy it would be to tune the suspenssion. When i asked Honda if it was possible to maybe soften the rear suspenssiona a bit, they said that the suspenssion will have to be replaced for that.

Handling an comfort don't usually go hand in hand. If you hear anyone say their car offers both at the same time, then i'd stay away from thar car.

It's a different thing with cars that offer "Sports Mode".

I've driven the Indigo and it's very comfortable when compared to the ride quality of the Vtec. I don't think you need to make any changes to that or you'll end up with a very twitchy and unstable car.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2004, 22:33   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I second what Shantanu said. The Indigo offers class-leading ride quality levels. Dont think you need to mess around with that suspension.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 05:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hi Bhaskar,

You might want to check your tire pressure, because if it is too high it causes the ride to become very hard.
You can afford to lower your tire pressure to the lower end of the range that the manufacturer's reccomend.
The correct inflation levels are mentioned in the manual, as well as inside the fuel flap, or on the passenger or driver door (on the narrow side that faces the rear when the door is closed)

Hope this helps,
Rehaan.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 06:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]You might want to check your tire pressure, because if it is too high it causes the ride to become very hard.
Rehaan is right - especially when it gets warmer outsite, the air expands and your tires tend to 'inflate' more. Adjust the pressure, you should see a noticeable difference.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, asuming that the Indigo has the same S322 175/65 R 14 tyres present on the Vtec, the recomended tyre pressure is 29 psi. The max tyre presssure the tubes can handle is 44 psi.

I usually keep it at 31 psi. It's a bit bouncy but you get faster acceleration and sharper handling.

I wouldn't suggest anything below 29 psi, as it would strain the sidewalls of the tyre.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2004, 08:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan2nu,

Tyre pressure might defer from car to car even if they are using the same tyres (due to the differnt weights of cars etc).
If Bhaskar uses his indigo for city driving even 28psi is considered fine, and will definitely improve ride quality.
Ofcourse for your useage, and highway driving 30-34psi depending on conditions is better.
cya
R

ps - once my friend car was riding incredibly hard, he couldnt figure out what was wrong initially, but then realised his sister had taken the car to the petrol pump and the tires were filled to 42psi!! on a santro!@!!
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote