Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd October 2006, 22:08   #46
BHPian

i dont know about headlights but for taillights. some people take out the whole assembly, then they put it in an oven to melt the beading to separate the plastic lense. after that, they use a torch to burn(smoke) it slightly. attach again and put it in oven to seal the assembly and replace onto vehicle.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 22:20   #47
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1
fieroid,

PS - The smoked headlamps are standard on sports edition on Cedia.
The CEDIA doesnt have smoked headlamps. Its got black surrounds on da headlamp.
eagle_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 23:53   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
i dont know about headlights but for taillights. some people take out the whole assembly, then they put it in an oven to melt the beading to separate the plastic lense. after that, they use a torch to burn(smoke) it slightly. attach again and put it in oven to seal the assembly and replace onto vehicle.
bingo!!!thats for tailamps.
for the headlamps the options you have is to paint the reflector black(like in the case of fiesta 1.4 or cedia sports)
where is autopsyche???we could use his help.he might have done something similar on one of his cars!!
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 00:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
bingo!!!thats for tailamps.
for the headlamps the options you have is to paint the reflector black(like in the case of fiesta 1.4 or cedia sports)
where is autopsyche???we could use his help.he might have done something similar on one of his cars!!
but thats for cars with projector lamps and a glass enclosure..but not all cars have projector HL.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:22   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
but thats for cars with projector lamps and a glass enclosure..but not all cars have projector HL.
if you look closely in the fiesta 1.4exi,cedia sports,the new pulsar 180dtsi....the area around the main reflector is black.but all this is entirely different from smoked headlamps so the topic is now being diverted.
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
and while you are at it, break the windshield too, the bumpers & the grill too. you are downright crazy man. no insurance guy is going to believe that you broke both your headlamps when a n auto hit you. how broad was that auto ?

this is strictly OFFTOPIC but since i've been called a crazy man in a public forum .. .. i'd like to clarify .. someone in an earlier post assumed it to be a "kiss" but just FYI, the following areas are already damaged due to my OHC's momentary contact with the vikram.
- bumper
- grille
- LHS HL
- windshield
- radiator
- coupla other things inside the bonnet which hasn't been opened yet, cause the surveyors visit is still due.

Prime Honda has indicated that the estimate would go over 1.25 lacs and they need atleast 23 days for repairs. Perhaps this explains why trying to break a measly HL wasn't such a big deal.

Anyways, let's now get back to the topic of blackened headlamps which I was supposed to get done this weekend :(

regards

Last edited by manveet : 23rd October 2006 at 02:22.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 14:36   #52
BHPian

relax mate, lets stick to the topic
@hell - the area around the reflector is black agreed, thats coz the reflector stands out like a projector set-up. but OHC,zen etc do not have such options..so apart from using a film, what other options do we have?
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:51   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

coming back to the topic, here's a question, esp for Elantra owners:

Does the elantra have this kind of HL as OE? Saw one today ..

As happens with threads and discussions like this one, I sub-consciously have been checking the HL's of other vehicles
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 00:40   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
Saturday night, me and my pal were sipping chai at m.g.road resting on my zen and suddenly this silver Vtec with black HL appeared. The light intensity was the same, but looked really good when the light was turned off. The glass was blackened. Have seen teh same treatment on taillamps as well. I wanna know, if this actually reduces the lumination, what treatment is given(vinyls?) to the glass and who does that in bangalore.
It will really look smashing on a black carn..i always want that all-black look.
I'm not gonna bother if its gonna affect visibility, but otherwise dont mind trying. Help!
This is what I found out, the process is meant only for the tail lights & not head lamps. The tinting is done with a spray that is available, not sure if it's available in India though.
http://www.smokinlights.net/gallery.htm#
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 02:04   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet

Prime Honda has indicated that the estimate would go over 1.25 lacs

regards
geezz.....1.25lacs.is that just for repairing it and restoring it back to the type 1 ohc or is that including the coversion to type2ohc.
bahut bada jhatka lag gaya bhai.....u should catch hold of that biker who cut you off and make him pay through his nose.

@fieroid:ths is what i have been doing trying to come up with a solution
Old 24th October 2006, 13:25   #56
BHPian

@ Manveet, Bhai..Hope the damage was restricted to the body, and not in the engine chamber, I Had a similar accident last year with a doggy that went unhurt but managed to break my lancer bumper into 2,Bend the Engine Protection beam and invert it into a V and crack the Radiator grill and break AC Fan blade, The front grill..Total estimate came around 60-65 K which the United India Dumbos argued relentlessly that a Doggy can't damage all that and some stupid policy norms, However settled with them..Wish you luck...!

@ Elantra came out with Smoke Lamp look on its HL, However since the consumers did not like the Black appeal in comparision to Clear lens type, Hyundai offered a free change into Clear type.I read this bit in TOI-Delhi ed a year back or so..Maybe some Elantra owner could throw some more inputs.

Smoke lamp look is good, But how long would you like it to remain..Guess the Clear type does make the car feel fresher..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 21:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

My Gawd...a pooch causing all this havoc? And the manufacturers blare out the safety features of their product from roof-top. What if you had run into a buffalo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
@ Manveet, Bhai..Hope the damage was restricted to the body, and not in the engine chamber, I Had a similar accident last year with a doggy that went unhurt but managed to break my lancer bumper into 2,Bend the Engine Protection beam and invert it into a V and crack the Radiator grill and break AC Fan blade, The front grill..Total estimate came around 60-65 K which the United India Dumbos argued relentlessly that a Doggy can't damage all that and some stupid policy norms, However settled with them..Wish you luck...!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 01:33   #58
BANNED

@wolfinstein: the dog went unhurt.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:02   #59
BHPian

Ya, Car was doing 40 on the Lajpat Nagar flyover , no traffic..! Suddenly one dog crosses the road the other chasing it stops in between, With the horn blaring and speed slowing, At the last moment he decides to cross..! And Wham, Hits the Front bumper..does the damage, Lands on the soft bed of Sand on the side pavement, Shakes himself does the doggy jiggy and resumes his chase..Maybe it was a Matrix Doggy..!

In all totality, The damage was done by the doggy hitting the Bumper and Engine protection beam which inverted into the radiator and in turn Broke the AC Fan Blade...! No damage to Engine, Side body , Headlights..!

Lancer is a strong car, and thank god for that..!

Does anyone know, How the Xenon Fog Lamps can be cleaned in the Lancer.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th October 2006 at 10:06.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 11:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutor...ing_Taillights
binz is offline   Reply With Quote