Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:10   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (MH-01)
Posts: 809
Thanked: 71 Times
Arrow Powerful headlamps for indica

Our family owns a 2003 Indica V2 Petrol (old look) which has is not equipped with clear lens headlamps. The beam of the headlamps is very poor. Although we have very limited highway runs, how can i increase the beam intensity at a reasonable cost. The options are :
  1. Fitting "cutouts". I don't know exactly what it is but it is a method adopted by most highway users.
  2. Fitting powerful (halogen) bulbs. What is the ideal wattage to get a decent beam? Are these bulbs illegal in the city, especially the ones with the bluish white beams? Will they drain the stock battery?
  3. Fitting new indica/indigo clear lens lamps with stock/aftermarket bulbs.
  4. Fitting auxiliary lamps (i am personally not interested in this).
can i have details,i.e., cost & mods reqd for the same?
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

If your headlamp lenses are clear and not dirty or blackened then go in for the Phillips Crystalvision 55/60 Blue tubes. They give you excellant illumination and are within the legal limits as well. They are available for 250 for a set. Check with your auto electrician if the headlamps are connected via a relay. If not then install a realy that should cost around 65. You will have much improved road vision after this and cost too would be very nominal. Installing a relay will help in not draining the stock battery



Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Our family owns a 2003 Indica V2 Petrol (old look) which has is not equipped with clear lens headlamps. The beam of the headlamps is very poor. Although we have very limited highway runs, how can i increase the beam intensity at a reasonable cost. The options are :



  1. Fitting "cutouts". I don't know exactly what it is but it is a method adopted by most highway users.
  2. Fitting powerful (halogen) bulbs. What is the ideal wattage to get a decent beam? Are these bulbs illegal in the city, especially the ones with the bluish white beams? Will they drain the stock battery?
  3. Fitting new indica/indigo clear lens lamps with stock/aftermarket bulbs.
  4. Fitting auxiliary lamps (i am personally not interested in this).
can i have details,i.e., cost & mods reqd for the same?

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd October 2006 at 09:21.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:32   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (MH-01)
Posts: 809
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

thanks gd1418 for the advice. I guess the relay is coloquially called cutout. Do these tubes provide a whitish beam or a typical tungsten coloured beam?
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:30   #4
BHPian
 
scorp 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 166
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Guys, I need help too! I have used CrystalVision before, but the bulb can only be installed on the headlamps.
It looks an odd combination with the stock fog lamps and white headlamps.
Does anyone have an idea how to get fog bulbs replaced with a whiter shade? (without installing HID unit)
scorp 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:49   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Our family owns a 2003 Indica V2 Petrol (old look) which has is not equipped with clear lens headlamps. The beam of the headlamps is very poor.


I've never felt the need to upgrade the stock Indica headlamps. Have you checked whether the lenses are clean and the lamps are properly aligned? Properly aligned, the headlamps provide good illumination - TASCs don't pay much attention to this aspect.

Did Bangalore - Chennai last night with the stock lamps and had no issues.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:20   #6
kph
BHPian
 
kph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 2 Times
Question

I too have plan to upgrade Indica headlights since Iíve got lots of highway drives.
1) Is Phillips Crystalvision available for the price mentioned by you (250 for pair)?
2) Has its beam got blue color? I wanted the one with white beam.
3) Can we go for higher wattage? Does any issue with the legality if gone for higher wattage? If so what is the limit?
kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:36   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Regarding wattage, i'd suggest 90/100. Its the optimal value.
Its brighter than stock,and doesn't blind the oncoming traffic either.

I use 90/100 philips rallye on my ikon(non-clear lens) and 55/60 philips crystalvision in my sumo victa(clear lens).
The 55/60 is adequate enough for normal city runs.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 14:32   #8
BHPian
 
fieroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 701
Thanked: 286 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph
I too have plan to upgrade Indica headlights since Iíve got lots of highway drives.
1) Is Phillips Crystalvision available for the price mentioned by you (250 for pair)?
2) Has its beam got blue color? I wanted the one with white beam.
3) Can we go for higher wattage? Does any issue with the legality if gone for higher wattage? If so what is the limit?
i'm using the bluevision on my 2001 zen without clear lens and it gives a white beam, not blue. However teh crystal vision will give u a bluish beam and is also expensive. bluevision is the best bet. its 500rs for a pair (55/60), but the crystal vision is 1100.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Go to Khan market and you will get your desired bulb with the whiter shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1
Guys, I need help too! I have used CrystalVision before, but the bulb can only be installed on the headlamps.
It looks an odd combination with the stock fog lamps and white headlamps.
Does anyone have an idea how to get fog bulbs replaced with a whiter shade? (without installing HID unit)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:45   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

They give bluish whitish beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
thanks gd1418 for the advice. I guess the relay is coloquially called cutout. Do these tubes provide a whitish beam or a typical tungsten coloured beam?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:48   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

kph & Salil: sorry about the price. I misquoted. I picked my crystalvision Philips 55/60 for my Scorpio for 450..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 10:48   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (MH-01)
Posts: 809
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

since my mom uses our indica more, the running is quite less and thus the lenses are perfectly clean like a new car. Since we have never fiddled with the headlamp settings due to warranty constraints, i dont think there's a problem with the headlamp alignment. neway thanks for posting
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 17:34   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Powerful headlamps for indica

I need to upgrade my headlights for an upcoming highway trip - the last time we went on a highway trip at night, the pathetic high beam ended up making us miss a lot of potholes and bumps and my car took the damage

Which makes more sense, a 100/90 upgrade or a set of hella 500/700FF's ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 19:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,747
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Default Re: Powerful headlamps for indica

@Greenie - I would suggest aux lamps.
Low Beam + Aux should do the work nicely. And will keep the high-beam in hand & ready for use.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 13:46   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Powerful headlamps for indica

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Which makes more sense, a 100/90 upgrade or a set of hella 500/700FF's ?
100/90 upgrade means relay setup, it shouldn't be used without relay.

Aux lamps are lovely but most prone to thefts so if your car is left unattended a lot, avoid them.

I'm running a 100/90 setup and its adequate for any highway run. There was a slight dip in luminosity since the bulbs were 2 years old, I recently changed them when one bulb's low beam went kaput and I have a nice bright setup again. Not to mention, I can set the headlight level anytime depending on conditions. E.g. mountain driving in the late night calls for highbeam but the throw can be adjusted through leveller.

Not to mention, aux lamps on hatchback/sedan are prone to damage also by nudges.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the world GTO Technical Stuff 63 28th July 2012 18:59
Worlds most powerful roadster! YES! S350L-E240 The International Automotive Scene 83 11th November 2006 13:24
more powerful lancer may be launched this year speedhunter The Indian Car Scene 25 13th April 2005 12:58
The Most Powerful Automotive People in the world GTO The International Automotive Scene 5 27th January 2005 01:12
Dont find the Getz powerful, eh?? v12 The International Automotive Scene 4 19th September 2004 19:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks