Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th June 2004, 18:28   #1

Unhappy

To all the gurus and auto-fanatics out there, I am returning from the USA to settle down in Bangalore. I need advice on the following topics. *

1. I will most likely buy a car with automatic transmission. My budget is between 6 to 8 lacs. Any suggestions, pros, cons etc?

2. However, I have never driven a car in India. I expect that my car will get a few bumps while I gain the instinct/reflexes for the traffic in India. So, would it make sense to buy a used AT car first and then upgrade?

3.If you suggest I buy a used car, then what make/model is the most reliable?

4. Would it make sense to buy a car stereo from here? Will the stereos bought here work in India (I am wondering about the voltage, space in the dashboard etc). I am looking for suggestions on stereos with Radio and CD/MP3 (and cassette player, if such a system exists). *I need a system with good clarity and solid speakers that can handle the occasional "pumping up the volume".

5. In your opinion, what other tools/accesories are useful on a daily basis and are hard to obtain in India? Here are a couple of auto-part web sites to look at: http://www.autozone.com and http://www.pepboys.com (use 03054 if prompted for a zip code).

Thanks in advance guys... looking forward to your expert opinions.

BB.
bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 18:56   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I will most likely buy a car with automatic transmission. My budget is between 6 to 8 lacs. Any suggestions, pros, cons etc?
How abt the New Honda City? Not as powerful as the older one. But definitely a good buy.

For a 2nd hand A/t u cud go in for the Esteem A/T.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 19:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

hi, reg car buy get a second hand Zen AT to learn n then upgrade, but word of caution, in india they are hard to buy n sell, so better alternate is get used to manual tranny.. not that difficult task to master them, actually more fun also..will take max 1 month.. believe me have loads of guys from US who do the same..

car stereo, Pioneer models i suggest, but make sure the frequency for FM match (one friend faced the issue), trick is to spot the same models for Arab and asian countries, preferablly with international warranty.. size they will be same for most.. unless it is a 3 in one or car model specific.. speakers not worth carrying the weight since they are available here at almost the same price, unless u get good deals..

other accesories.. based on ur personal taste and need.. post if u have a wish list n guys here can help u decide if its available here and the cost advantage..
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 19:01   #4
Tom
BHPian

well...choosing a car depends on what u like in a car...it's a personal preference and too many opinions will only confuse you further.

You must atleast tell us whether u want a SUV or a sedan or small hatchback car...etc.

Stereo systems better to buy from here with warranty. Unless ur buying a top of the line one.

Regarding add-ons cant say unless you choose your car first also ae you intd in performance add-ons or jus stuff for the looks?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 19:11   #5
Tom
BHPian

Yes a small used car like the zen wuld be ur best bet to get used to the driving conditions here.

As for automatics they give less mileage and have less re-sale value also very very boring to drive
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 20:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (bugaboo @ June 30 2004,16:58)]2. However, I have never driven a car in India. I expect that my car will get a few bumps while I gain the instinct/reflexes for the traffic in India. So, would it make sense to buy a used AT car first and then upgrade?
Yes, you are about to experinece the toughest driving condition in your life. Since you're settling down here you have to go through it without a choice. A second hand car may be a better idea for first few months but as Jaggu and Tom say you will not get a good price while selling.
That apart why do you need an A/T car? Just curious!!
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal

For buying a second hand AT you could try the earlier Honda City AT . Honda reliability and a smooth 4 speed box. Hondas are usually well mainained by their owners so you could get a good car for a decent price. The Esteem and the Zen are the other ATs in the used car market. Marutis have good service back up 2 but they come with a 3 speed box. So the choice is yours.

Dippy
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 21:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Within the 6-8 lac range i can't think of a better A/T car than the New Honda City CVT. It's not only smooth and reliable, but also very fuel efficient.

Ofcourse you'll have to live with a 0-100(62mph) time of 15-16 secs but then even the M/T ain't that quick. the only problem is that if you bang it somewhere, you'll have to be prepared to shell out a bit.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2004, 12:16   #9
BHPian

the usa FM receivers cant tune into 91.0 FM, they usually have 89.9 and 91.1. make sure of that.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2004, 14:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

at car
go for a new esteem at while u learn the indian driving system
then upgrade to a bigger car like te CVT honda city
santro AT is a good at choice in the lower segment.
i sugest u get the acc. here unless u really like something and u dont get it here
cheer s
lamborghini
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2004, 14:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey Bugaboo,

I have a couple of people i know who have never driver MTs in their life... but after driving them a bit in india they start to prefer them over the ATs. You feel more connected with your car, and have much more controll over it, as well as paying less for purchase and gas.
If you just want a car to get from point A to B and your going to be doing that in rush hour a lot, and you dont really love driving, maybe then an AT makes sense.

Unlike everyone else, i think you should buy the car you want straight off, and not waste money and time buying a "temporary" car to get used to driving on. Although buy a temporary car might sound like a good idea, the truth is that you will probably spend and loose more money on it than repairing a few dents and dings in your new car.

If your set on an AT (and im guess u arent a performance freak) i would suggest the New Honda City as well. (its looks take a bit of getting used to though....)

heres a *pic-

and you can check their website at www.hondacityindia.com

cya
Rehaan

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 02:24   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, everyone has already outlined the fact. If you want a brand new automatic car, just go ahead and pick up a New Honda City with CVT transmission. You really cant go wrong with this car.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 02:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (bugaboo @ June 30 2004,16:58)]4. Would it make sense to buy a car stereo from here? Will the stereos bought here work in India (I am wondering about the voltage, space in the dashboard etc).
Hey,

Yes stereos bought in the states will work here.
Cars work on a universal voltage of 12Volts.
Make sure the system u buy is a 1DIN size (2DIN might be possible depending on what indian car you buy) 1DIN is basically the standard size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am looking for suggestions on stereos with Radio and CD/MP3 (and cassette player, if such a system exists).
I have seen a JVC model available in india.. CD/mp3cd + cassette....its 2DIN though. Dont know about the price ....

I bought mp head unit from the states... at that time prices for mp3cd head units in india were something like $300+ and i picked mine up for $200 because it was on sale. So if you get a good deal like that its worth it. I got mine from www.sounddomain.com.
Also there is that issue of american FM tuning in jumps of .3 or something like that....but i havent even noticed if it works or not coz i dont listen to FM much.

cheers
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 11:14   #14

Thank you all for your replies.

As some have guessed, I'd rather have the ease (boredom) of an AT during rush hour, plus my wife will be driving the car too.

Like some of you have recommended, I think it makes sense to go for a good car right away and not worry about resale later.

As for the stereo, I will make sure to check the FM tuner. What about speakers... what size? Are front (door) speakers of a different size than the rear ones? Is there a universal size for the rear speakers' opening/housing?

I appreciate the feedback.

BB.
Old 2nd July 2004, 11:26   #15

One more question...

If my wife needs to take my daughter in the car, I'd rather have my daughter sit securely in one place. So, is it worth bringing an infant car seat from the US? Will they fit in mid-sized cars like esteem, ikon, city etc?

Thanks again.

BB.