Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th October 2006, 22:05   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default auto start on cars

recently a friend of mine installed a blackhawk security system on his karizma.its like a remote locking/unlocking for bikes.the bike can also be started from the remote.the main requirement for installing this accessory is that the bike should have an electric strater.
now i was wondering if somehow the same can be installed on a car..atleast the remote starting.is it feasible?if yes how do i get it done.if no,why not???
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 22:10   #2
BHPian

Yep.Autostart on cars is possible but it is mainly used in Cold weather places (like in Minneapolis !).In US it costs around 100$ to get one kit and 200-250$ to get installed (hay in US the Man power is costly).
I really don't see a need of auto start in India .
Thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 22:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

My relative from the US was wanting to send one for me that I refused. firstly, I didn't need it; secondly, belonging to the old school of driving I always park my car with the gear engaged either in reverse or first as the parking/gradient/situation may be. So before using the autostart, I in any case would have to park the car in neutral with the hand-brake engaged which I am loathe to and not used to too. Or would have to first disengage the gear and then press the button on the remote..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thil
Yep.Autostart on cars is possible but it is mainly used in Cold weather places (like in Minneapolis !).In US it costs around 100$ to get one kit and 200-250$ to get installed (hay in US the Man power is costly).
I really don't see a need of auto start in India .
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 22:18   #4
BANNED

i know there is no need for it apart from being pimpish but hypotheticaly is it possible...and i am talkin about the same product that are innstalled on bikes.dont wanna import some kit from the us.
can the cars here be started with a remote????
are any kits available here
p.s:mods plz can u change the title to "remote starting for cars"

Last edited by hellspawn : 30th October 2006 at 22:20.
Old 30th October 2006, 23:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
i know there is no need for it apart from being pimpish but hypotheticaly is it possible...and i am talkin about the same product that are innstalled on bikes.dont wanna import some kit from the us.
can the cars here be started with a remote????
are any kits available here
p.s:mods plz can u change the title to "remote starting for cars"
YES SIR .even Practically it is possible to remore start a car.hellspawn
I see you are Mechanical engg from ur profile.So let us just refresh the basics of how this stuff works.(I am also a Mechanicakl Engg,but working in software!)

Internal-combustion engines require the pistons to be moving before the ignition phase of the cycle. This means that the engine must be set in motion by an external force before it can power itself.(Remember the old movies)

The modern starter motor is a series-wound direct current electric motor with a solenoid switch (similar to a relay) mounted on it. When low-current power from the starting battery is applied to the solenoid usually through a key-operated switch, it pushes out a small pinion gear on the starter motor's shaft and meshes it with the ring gear on the flywheel of the engine. The solenoid also closes high-current contacts for the starter motor and it starts to run. Once the engine starts, the key-operated switch is opened, a spring in the solenoid assembly pulls the pinion gear away from the ring gear, and the starter motor stops

So the remote starter just trigger the sequence in a secured way to start the engine.
Thatís why it is even possible in Bikes if the electric starter is there.

I am not sure about the dealerships for this products in India. But I have seen cars installed with self starter in Chennai. Just check your local after market car shops.
Old 30th October 2006, 23:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

I'm sure the fitment of such a device would void any electrical warranty of your car, since it would involve out-market fitment.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
I'm sure the fitment of such a device would void any electrical warranty of your car, since it would involve out-market fitment.
Very good point to note if the car is under warrenty.
Old 31st October 2006, 00:03   #8
BANNED

@thil:i do know all that.my question is,can the same blackhawk system be retrofitted in the car cos it just costs 1500bucks.
Old 31st October 2006, 01:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

the remote starting device would be a really cool thing to have....james bond has it in his car too
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 08:32   #10
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Remote start for cars has been and still is avilable in India since 1996 when I introduced Viper & Hornet Auto Security Systems manufactured by the world famous Directed Electronics Inc.

http://www.directed.com/
http://www.directed.com/contact/inte...&country=India

I am still their distributor for India but have stopped importing since 2002 due to their technical tie-up with Pricol. Xenos is basically the Hornet 729T sold in a different name.

There are several other imported products also available which offer Remote start. They have an inbuilt safety feature which will only start the car when handbrake is activated and can also start the A/c and heater.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 10:58   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

helli baby the SALIM guy at the RAUNAQ shop has done this on his OMNI check it out!
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 14:40   #12
BANNED

@viper:so its a one of the features of the security systems.i have a xenos 350.can this feature be meshed with the system that i have.
@aZa:wil check it out tom.
Old 1st November 2006, 13:04   #13
BHPian

hellspawn, HAve considered this thing previously, and after studying around, and reports from the car accessories ppl, dumped the idea.

Lots of complaints coming in with these auto car start kits. I recommend u do not do it, but if u still have the itch for it, then yes, silicon/autocop has a kit i think, if not them definately some other brand has it in the market.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 00:51   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
but if u still have the itch for it
thats the whole problem insane devil,thats the whole problem
Old 2nd November 2006, 05:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

But I've seen Remote Starting/Security systems in bikes going kaput within a few months. I would just rate it as a waste of money. So it's not a wise option on cars.

The only use is during the mornings when you can idle the car without getting inside.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote