Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th July 2017, 19:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
2) I saw the used bottle of this ceramic coating. I could see the oxidized liquid leaked near the cap of bottle. It has hardened to a level which will required real hammering to break. Meaning the hardness of this layer is true to some extent if not full 9H.
This is a misconception. The slivers you find on the bottle cap are what, 0.5mm thick? thats 500 microns; 500-1000 times thicker than the coating that ends up on the car after application.

9H is all a myth. Even if the coating is 9H hard, it will never last on something softer than it such as paint. Construct a granite house (9h coat) on a sponge foundation (paint), now tell me will the building hold or will it collapse at the slightest breeze?

Quote:
3) DIY guys like me, would always want to apply by themselves. Go ahead if your car is completely new and scratch & swirlmark less.
No car is swirl mark free from the factory. This is completely a myth.

Look at this video. See what paint finish is on a new Porsche straight from the factory.

If you can't see swirls it doesn't mean its not there. If you put a coating on top of your existing swirls; they'll be locked under the coating and will forever be visible. If you want to remove them after a while, the coating will be first to be removed in the process.

Quote:
Simply use the ironX to take out all the oils from the surface before applying any ceramic coating.
This is just not true. IronX will not remove oils from the surface.

Quote:
The cars older than 4 months may require some paint correction (compounding and polishing) before applying this coating. Thats where we have to pay once to this demanding detailers. We would need the tools and tackles to perform the pre-treatment and prepare the surface for such coat, which is not really practical to procure.
True gloss/finish comes from prep work (wash,clay, decontaminate) and proper compounding/polishing. Coating does add a but to the look but its less than 2% whereas rest of the steps contribute to 98% of the look.

Quote:
6) The color of your car matters. Have you ever seen such a demo video on a white car? never or hardly right, thats because lighter color couldnt really show the effect. This is where the color of the car plays role. If you have a white color car, think really hard before going for such expense, remember, one of the reasons you bought a white since its easier to maintain.
The color of the car matters but that's just one part of the story. Light colour cars can create effects that dark coloured cars can never do.

Any detailer worth his salt should also be able to make white/light colour cars pop.
SunnyBoi is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 22:32   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything that costs more than a dealer-service-centre respray with company-supplied paint is just silly. Unless it contributes something really substantial, such as a beyond-amazing deep gloss that self-heals, for instance. And even that would be luxury spending for the deep pocketed.

The day something that gives a super gloss and absolutely repels dust, dirt, water, oil, bird crap, etc, to the extent that they just blow off in the breeze, and one never ever has to even wipe the car... I'd dig a little deep in the pocket for that one. It is probably on the way. And it will probably cost more money than is in my pocket anyway. For starters, the finishing company will never see those cars again!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 12:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

The results of ceramic coatings are amazing as what I have seen in videos as of now. I have not got a chance to see them in reality till date.

But I have said this before and I am saying it again; the care to be taken post ceramic coating is the same as that required when you do a professional detailing job. The car should not be washed by the watchman, cloths should be micro fiber only, separate buckets which should not have dirt or grime, etc. The problem here; I'm sure with most of us, is that it is not possible to have such ideal conditions unless you make time to wash your car yourself. If you are going to spend more than double the amount to get a ceramic coating done which needs the same care as that of a professional detailing job, I do not find it worth the price.

Last edited by Epic : 19th July 2017 at 12:32.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 19:50   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we should take each other's advice, and shop around, for the best value-for-money long-life protection and enhancer, without shelling out the biggest bucks that, like audiophillia, seem to be part of the appeal of some brands. This H-scale thing is just hype. Probably, in this context, it refers to the price tag!
Quote:
The results of ceramic coatings are amazing as what I have seen in videos as of now. I have not got a chance to see them in reality till date.
Sure. Nobody takes videos to show that they spent megabucks and... meh. And photographing the results in (literally) the best possible light has become part of the trip. Well, why not: we want to show off our auto beauties.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote