Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 21st March 2018, 16:47   #31
BHPian

Default Re: How come no one modifies the Steering Wheel's feel & feedback?

Experts,

My primary drive is Hyundai Creta and the steering wheel is per my taste - quick and light (while not vague) which is perfect for city driving conditions. Gains decent weight on highways, so no issues there either. Now everytime I drive my son's Grand i10, I find the steering heavier and uncomfortable in low speeds. Now I know this topic has already been discussed here but wanted to check if anybody has 'modified' EPS in New Delhi? Or any other way to get it a little lighter?

Thanks!
Col Mehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 17:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Now everytime I drive my son's Grand i10, I find the steering heavier and uncomfortable in low speeds. Now I know this topic has already been discussed here but wanted to check if anybody has 'modified' EPS in New Delhi? Or any other way to get it a little lighter?
- If it is on steel wheels, upgrading to alloys should help a bit
- Change to skinnier tyres.
- Pump up the front tyre pressure to 32 or 34 PSI

All the above should incrementally help a little bit, but not worth it because of the expense (alloys) and drawbacks (lower cornering grip, poor ride quality)
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 17:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
- If it is on steel wheels, upgrading to alloys should help a bit
- Change to skinnier tyres.
- Pump up the front tyre pressure to 32 or 34 PSI

All the above should incrementally help a little bit, but not worth it because of the expense (alloys) and drawbacks (lower cornering grip, poor ride quality)
Thanks for the suggestions . That's a Asta (O) variant which comes with alloy wheels and runs on 165/65. So can't do much there I guess. Varying tyre pressure hasn't yielded any results so far..

Is there any way one can tweak the software/motor or something to work it out? Any known tuner maybe?

Last edited by Col Mehta : 21st March 2018 at 17:26.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Is there any way one can tweak the software/motor or something to work it out? Any known tuner maybe?
I don't think there is any easy way to do it, nor do I suggest it. On the plus side though, isn't a heavy steering more controllable and better for day to day driving? Having driven the Grand i10 I'd say its steering is indeed on the heavy side but barely.. definitely a bit more weight than the Polo or Ford Aspire which are way too light. Compared to the hydraulic steering on the Getz which I'm more used to, the Grand did seem almost like a feather so you should check out if the EPS motor has issues which can be done by driving another Grand i10 belonging to the showroom or of a known person. Also you can get the wheel alignment and balancing done/checked to see if that's an issue, a bad alignment may result in more weight.

Steerings in cars like these are hard to tune, its not that they change tremendously in resistance between low and high speeds compared to say a BMW. Also, the feeling of greater stiffness in high speeds is in some part due to the fact that the degree of turning comes down drastically in higher speeds thus making one feel that the steering is stiffer than it really is. I for one would love a hard steering at all times, I'd prefer the inverse actually.. tight in low speeds and lighter at high speeds, rest of the work belongs to the chassis balance and steering precision.

Last edited by dark.knight : 22nd March 2018 at 08:03.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I don't think there is any easy way to do it, nor do I suggest it. On the plus side though, isn't a heavy steering more controllable and better for day to day driving? Having driven the Grand i10 I'd say its steering is indeed on the heavy side but barely.. definitely a bit more weight than the Polo or Ford Aspire which are way too light. Compared to the hydraulic steering on the Getz which I'm more used to, the Grand did seem almost like a feather so you should check out if the EPS motor has issues which can be done by driving another Grand i10 belonging to the showroom or of a known person. Also you can get the wheel alignment and balancing done/checked to see if that's an issue
Hey

My son never complained of heavy steering initially but he has started having shoulder aches post driving his grand i10 which doesn't happen when he drives our Creta/Vento (he drivies in peak Delhi-Gurgaon traffic). So it's not necessarily better for day to day city driving.

He is taking his car to HASS in a few days time to have the steering/motor checked for any irregularities. Wheel alignment, rotation and balancing have been done recently which did improve the equation to some extent. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 22nd March 2018 at 10:59.