Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd July 2017, 14:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Awesome piggyback. Can't wait for the results from the final tune.
How does it feel to drive vs your previous Dieseltronic install?
The difference is huge. Dieseltronic in P1 mode with Innova's PWR mode made the Crysta a fast van. But with this Unichip kit it got faster. With the final tune lets see how it unfolds. I am as curious as others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am also planning to buy it and install in my S-Cross. I believe it would be very helpful to make a safe tune. Without EGT guage, the tuners have to do theoretical calculations / look at smoke levels etc. I am not driving S-Cross of now and got another 1.6 beast (hardly seen on our roads )
Good idea Even a TOT probe is better than having no EGT probe at all, though the reading can't be accurately matched to TIT as the difference is variable.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 22:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A really really nice video about Unichip, very well explained and informative.

And another one where he is answering some questions regarding the upgrade.

I need a Troopcarrier
Old 7th July 2017, 22:46   #18
BHPian

8.xx seconds for a vehicle like Innova is too good. Based on the specifications given out looks like this device is multi-channel as against the dual channel tuning boxes available in India. Can you share the price of the same. And also waiting for final tune means they are still finalising the parameters of the box or something else which I missed?
saurabhkum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 10:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
8.xx seconds for a vehicle like Innova is too good. Based on the specifications given out looks like this device is multi-channel as against the dual channel tuning boxes available in India. Can you share the price of the same. And also waiting for final tune means they are still finalising the parameters of the box or something else which I missed?
Yes, it is a multichannel device with canbus integration and goes beyond usual rail pressure, boost pressure and injection duration methods used by tuning boxes. This particular kit for the 2.8GD engine has three unichip modules and PnP wiring loom. Price was Rs.82K pre gst (with proper bill) including installation and tuning on dyno. Price vary depending on the kit used.

All Unichips come blank and has to be programmed/mapped for the particular application, It is similar to how a remap tune is developed. Vehicle did not have an EGT gauge at the time so did not risk higher EGT if pushed blindly. It is a very conservative tune which hardly smokes.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sankar :
SoOper mod.

VAN + Modest color + stock exterior + brutal acceleration = Absolute SLEEPER

In the current tune, how much torque is it making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
All Unichips come blank and has to be programmed/mapped for the particular application, It is similar to how a remap tune is developed. .

So programming will be done by Dastek guys or are you planning to do it yourself ?
kpzen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 12:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sankar :
SoOper mod.

VAN + Modest color + stock exterior + brutal acceleration = Absolute SLEEPER

In the current tune, how much torque is it making ?
Thanks Prajesh. Forgot to take the picture of the torque graph. Will update after retune.

Quote:
So programming will be done by Dastek guys or are you planning to do it yourself ?
Dastek India dealer does the mapping.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 23:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes, it is a multichannel device with canbus integration and goes beyond usual rail pressure, boost pressure and injection duration methods used by tuning boxes. This particular kit for the 2.8GD engine has three unichip modules and PnP wiring loom. Price was Rs.82K pre gst (with proper bill) including installation and tuning on dyno. Price vary depending on the kit used.

All Unichips come blank and has to be programmed/mapped for the particular application, It is similar to how a remap tune is developed. Vehicle did not have an EGT gauge at the time so did not risk higher EGT if pushed blindly. It is a very conservative tune which hardly smokes.
82 k is steep, in that case how do we diffrenciate this with a proper remap which is available at less then half of this cost?
saurabhkum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 17:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
82 k is steep, in that case how do we diffrenciate this with a proper remap which is available at less then half of this cost?
For me the main attraction here was its non-intrusive installation, 5 proper maps, and i can use it in another vehicle if i upgrade. For example if i buy the fortuner, I can just unplug this from innova and plug it in the fortuner. Or if i buy another vehicle, doesnt matter if its petrol or diesel, I can use it in that, money paid will not be totally lost.

I don't think the price is steep for a piggyback ECU such as this and what it offers when compared to other options. Last year before RD box came out I was looking for a tuning option and had talked to DTE systems germany and their IM tuning box for this engine costs 75K before shipping and customs, Steinbauer IM box is also similarly priced FOB. This Unichip does what RD+DTE/Stein does and more such as Throttle Booster+InjTiming+5maps+EGT based safety which even a remap can't achieve on an engine without OE EGT probe.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UNICHIP is not just another tuning box available in the market. It is very much advanced and has more control. You can play around with lot of parameters and also do a safe tune . A good remap could be close to UNICHIP , but advantage of UNICHIP is it can be used in your future cars. One time investment!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 15:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

So whats been cooking? Nothing much. Fell sick last week and could not keep my appointment with Spitfire for the retune. Now looking forward towards the next opportunity!

Meanwhile got an EGR blanking plate from Australia, it has a hole and is a partial block plate so I am getting some no-hole copies made for a full block. Also planning to get a downpipe done to make things more interesting.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 18:32   #26
BHPian

Can you log MAF (g/s) before and after Unichip? That's a quick way to estimate the power you're making, as BHP ~= MAF * 1.25.

Also, how much extra boost are you running here?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 18:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a quick way to estimate the power you're making, as BHP ~= MAF * 1.25.
This method is not applicable for diesel engines though.
Old 20th July 2017, 21:49   #28
BHPian

Well, I understand that it's not applicable to standard diesel engines which target a lambda > 1 for efficiency & emissions.

However, a tuned diesel such as yours will likely be running at lambda almost equal to 1, and should approach the power predicted by this formula. In other words, this can serve as a roofline model for your car, and no amount of fueling can get it to produce more power than that.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 23:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, a tuned diesel such as yours will likely be running at lambda almost equal to 1, and should approach the power predicted by this formula
When the AFR is ideal, it's called Lambda 1. For diesel it is 14.7:1. But it's just an ideal value. No diesel engines would be running anywhere close to Lambda 1. It will smoke like hell. From what I have seen in tuned diesel cars, with AFR 17-18 : You make good power with minimal smoke. Anything richer than that the car starts smoking. 14.7 is too rich and you would get only smoke in a diesel car.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st July 2017 at 00:02.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 18:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Default EGR Full Blank 1GDFTV

What was done here is probably the first documented report of this being done in the new GD series engine, what makes it even more interesting is that there was no need of a remap to shut off the EGR. Thinking outside the box helps!

Finally it's done! Blanking the EGR completely on the new GD engine without using any additional modules or turning it off in a remap. I think this is the first "documented" case of a successful complete EGR blank on the new GD engine.

Blanking EGR is a two step process and one of them steps is a invasive process which is probably going to be irreversible depending on how you do it.

Step 1 - Throttle body plate delete
This depending on how you proceed with it, i.e., carefully and with patience, you can get the screws out without damage and slide out the plate. But me I just drilled the screws out. You can read about it in detail here - Throttle Vave Delete (Explained: Why Diesel engines need a throttle body & throttle plate)

Step 2 - Blanking the EGR
This is a relatively easy thing to do all you need is a EGR blanking plate which you need to install it at the rear end of the cast iron exhaust manifold. This prevents exhaust from getting into the EGR system.

Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170725_175008.jpg

It was difficult to get the plate in, Carmed (code6) Cochin helped with the install of the plate.

Note:
It might be possible to get away without removing the throttle plate if you drill a large enough hole on the plate, probably a 14mm hole. But I would suggest simply removing the plate instead of making a hole in it. Removing the throttle plate (or putting a hole in it) is important because if you do not do that ECU will throw a code.

When the ECU decides to let in some exhaust it will close the throttle (explained in linked post above) and engine sucks in the exhaust through EGR system, so if you block the EGR feed then manifold air pressure goes down as engine gets no gas (doesn't matter if its exhaust or air). ECU throws a code.

Now this is how it works with throttle removed. When ECU decides to let in some EGR it closes the throttle and opens EGR valve but EGR feed is blocked and no exhaust gets in. But now with the throttle plate removed there is no actual throttle closing happening and the manifold continues to get fresh charge air. This fresh air maintains pressure inside the manifold in-spite of EGR feed being blocked. So ECU is happy and doesnt throw a code.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote