Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th June 2017, 11:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT

Remap or Tuning Box?
This question was answered many suns ago and I decided to go the tuning box route with a rail pressure and boost pressure modifying box. But the itch for more persisted and soon I was looking at other options and I warmed up to the thought of getting a remap if it were available. Fortunately or unfortunately a remap was still not available for this particular ECU variant which comes in the Innova Crysta and so for the time being that option was put to rest. At the same time I opened discussion with Unichip as I found out that they have made a plug n play kit for the new 1GD-FTV.

Good News!
I got confirmation from the Unichip distributor in India that the kit should be compatible with the Innova. My main concern was the wiring harness matching up with the variant of ECU we have in the Innova here and not with the chip as the chip can be programmed as needed. Again I was re-assured that wiring harness should be compatible. So on that assurance I proceeded to move ahead with the Unichip.

Advantage?
Plug n play. You can remove or re-install at your will. Factory ECU is totally unharmed and not violated in any manner. Stock wiring untouched, no cuts, no splices, nothing.

Is it just a tuning box then?
Well, No. Period. It does a bit more than a standard tuning box does. Its more of a piggyback ECU rather than a much more simpler tuning box.

So what all does it do?
Boost Control: Unichip has complete control over boost pressure across the operating range of the engine. Helps to burn more fuel as cleanly as possible!

Injector timing: Unichip can time the start of injection. When adding more fuel to the combustion chamber by means of higher rail pressure and/or adding pulse width to injector the fuel will need slightly more time to complete the burn. By advancing the injection timing it allows complete burn of the fuel before the piston is at BDC.

Fuel Rail Pressure: Unichip has control of Fuel Rail pressure, the simplest way to increase power on a turbo diesel. This is what most of the ready made ready to plug Diesel tuning boxes does.

Injector Pulse Width Modulation: This lets Unichip have direct control of the injectors and modulate the pulse width to alter injector open duration. This allows to put more fuel into the engine.

Throttle Booster: Helps to increase or decrease throttle sensitivity and helps to achieve a faster or slower throttle response as per user demand.

Coolant temp Protection: This lets Unichip pull back the performance of the engine if the engine coolant temperature sensor reads very high. This is a safety feature. If the Unichip reads high temperature it pulls back the fuel and the boost for 15 seconds. If it happens again it will pull back the fuel and the boost for 40 seconds. This is a way to protect the engine from misuse.

Canbus Map Select: This is a new feature developed specifically for the new 1GD-FTV engine foud in Innova Crysta/Fortuner. It is designed to switch Unichip maps via the factory PWR and ECO buttons. This means you can have 3 maps selectable by the factory Power and Economy buttons.

EGT Protection: This we have not yet done in this installation but someday i hope to get this done. For this we need an EGT probe to the put into the exhaust manifold before the turbo charger and its input given to the Unichip. With this we can achieve the same thing as Coolant temperature protection, the advantage of doing it based on EGT is quicker response.

Unichip achieves a tune which is closer to a remap than a simple tuning box. Of course each has their own Pros and Cons the user need to chose his poison. Advantage Unichip being it can work with upgraded hardware - nozzles, turbo charger, external EGT probe etc and I can transfer it to another vehicle when I upgrade.

The Kit
The 1GD-FTV plug and play kit consists of 4 items.
  • The Unichip Q4
  • The GDE module which is used for CAN bus integration
  • HV4 injector driver module (it looks like another Q4)
  • The plug and play high quality harness.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_112504.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_154707.jpg

The Harness
Harness is made of high quality materials and the ECU connector socket is OE quality. The wire harness is neatly tucked inside a braided protective sleeves and the ends are wrapped using high quality tape.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_112534.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_162207.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_162218.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_112750.jpg

Installation
The installation was done at Spitfire Automotive Performance at Coimbatore, they are the authorised dealers for Unichip in India and have a Dastek chassis dyno, which can operate in inertia mode as well as loaded mode as it has an eddy current retarder. This is my third time at Spitfire actually. Twice with my Swift 1.2K* and now with the Crysta,

Before commencing the installation they went over the actual wiring and the wiring diagram to confirm the harness compatibility. This step was thoroughly done and that took almost a full day to complete. For the next Innova or Fortuner installation they probably can skip this step because this is the first GD-FTV installation in the country.

Highlights about this installation is that no wires need to be cut, spliced or tapped. There are no wires in the engine bay to be installed. The PnP harness plugs into the ECU and the Unichip and the original ECU connectors plug into the PnP loom, neat and clean.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_182025.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_181933.jpg

Tuning
Once the wires were confirmed the unit was plugged in and soon the tuning started with J.Balamurugan sir with the Crysta tied down on the dyno.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_172139.jpg

J.B was very particular about installing a temporary EGT probe on the exhaust manifold before the turbo and they prefer to tune it with monitoring the EGT in real time. I have not found anyone else who is particular about this small but important detail when it comes to Diesel engine tuning for vehicles which does not come with a factory EGT probe. Anyway my Auber EGT gauge kit is on the way and the next session we would have this installed before tuning. It was getting late time to wind up and plan for another day.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_183947.jpg

Result
The graphs for the dyno run is available, but the tune is not final. But here it is anyways. The Green line is the stock tune and the yellow line is the Unichip tune. The lower green line and the lower yellow line is the wheel horse power for stock and Unichip respectively.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170609_173035.jpg

A revision and some tweaking is necessary to get the final tune and we need the EGT gauge installed to arrive at a safe tune. Without EGT gauge its only guesses and estimates on the max EGT the vehicle would be probably running and it is not responsible of tuner to tune a Diesel engine without having an idea of actual EGT.

The present conservative tune is more like a test tune, but still it is impressive and the 0-100KpH times of 8.x seconds on speedo** on 1.9% oversized tyres***. Also manages to spin the wheels momentarily at the same time. This when drive mode is D from standstill.

--

* Swift 1.4L K14B Unichip Tuned (Maruti Swift "Special" - 1.4L VVT, Unichip Tuned, 112 BHP!)
** No launch, Accelerating in D from standstill.
*** Innova Crysta Tyre Upsize (Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Taking live - many thanks for sharing!
Sankar is online now   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Congratulations Shankar. 8 seconds to 100kmph is awesome figure for a people carrier. Even with power mode its a torque monster. First modded Innova Crysta in India is yours. And with a water cooled turbocharger EGT(even if it's there)wont be that much harmful to turbo?
tikku.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 13:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT

Oh god, 8s to a 100 for a Toyota Innova and it's a RWD This thing should be capable enough to cruise on the Autobahn than the poor old highways of the country. Do keep us posted on the new dyno graphs and if possible also compare the non tuned graphs.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Sankar : 3 seconds gain is just awesome even with the test tune Good, I am not driving my S-Cross now, don't want a mad Van zoom past me haha!
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 20:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikku.dk View Post
And with a water cooled turbocharger EGT(even if it's there)wont be that much harmful to turbo?
EGT when it gets high is always dangerous, water cooled turbo does has its benefits but won't do zilch for dangerously high EGT. Its not just the turbo which gets affected by high temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Oh god, 8s to a 100 for a Toyota Innova and it's a RWD
Impressive it is because even with a larger profile tyre it can spin the wheels now on "tarmac" from standstill when accelerating in D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
@Sankar : 3 seconds gain is just awesome even with the test tune Good, I am not driving my S-Cross now, don't want a mad Van zoom past me haha!
Hahaha! Your Scross isn't slow either ;-)
Sankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 20:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hahaha! Your Scross isn't slow either ;-)
Correct, it's not slow. I also do 0-100 in 8 seconds on speedo. But that is with launch, driven alone and half tank fuel. Your mad Van is doing it without launch
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 13:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Default EGT Gauge

Last week I ordered an EGT gauge kit from Auber Instruments and it reached me today. I have to get this installed before next tuning session. I have bought two probes one regular length and one longer. I bought the longer probe to see if its feasible to put it in the EGR block off plate.

Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170628_121807.jpg

Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170628_121837.jpg

Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-20170628_121853.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2017 at 12:06. Reason: Taking live - thanks for sharing!
Sankar is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 12:06   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Modifications Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Sankar,
You are one greedy man.

This car is a mad beast now. 8.x s to 100 kmph is less than half what my dad's previous gen Innova is supposed to take to hit 100 kmph- 17.3 s.

I'm sure you'll keep up leave almost all cars behind and you can easily keep up with cars twice the price.

What are the exact power and torque figures now?

Also, this car needs a suspension upgrade. The Crysta has pronounced body roll around corners compared to the older Innova.

Try to upgrade your brakes too.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 17:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Sankar,
You are one greedy man.

This car is a mad beast now. 8.x s to 100 kmph is less than half what my dad's previous gen Innova is supposed to take to hit 100 kmph- 17.3 s.

I'm sure you'll keep up leave almost all cars behind and you can easily keep up with cars twice the price.

What are the exact power and torque figures now?

Also, this car needs a suspension upgrade. The Crysta has pronounced body roll around corners compared to the older Innova.

Try to upgrade your brakes too.
Hahaha Power, more is never enough! Anyways to keep the engine safe I will get the EGT gauge installed. I have to schedule another visit to coimbatore. I will update the torque and bhp figures by the end of July. Suspension upgrade is in my wishlist. So is a full brake upgrade when it becomes available.
Sankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Default EGT Probe Wired Up

Installed and wired up the EGT gauge and the probe. Probe is in the engine bay and not in the exhaust yet. Decided to wire up the probe and leave it so that nothing needs to be done inside the cabin when I go to Spitfire.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-0702201720170702_151629.jpg
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-0702201720170702_151755.jpg

It reads 100 which is ambient under hood temp in Fahrenheit. Need to change it to Celsius.
Plug & Play Unichip Install - Innova Crysta 2.8 AT-0702201720170702_205321.jpg

I chose the blue LED variant to match the interior OE console colour theme. The display dims when I turn on parklights.
Sankar is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:51   #12
BHPian

Please add Mithsubishi 4d56 DiD engine to list of engines with a throttle plate. I also wondered why a throttle plate in my diesel engine. Also older diesel engines like OM616 Matadoor, Nissan SD25 have throttle plates to operate the vacuum governor.
Thanks for sharing the mods and waiting for more.
BTW why you choose Auberins EGT gauge over usual Autometer /AEM guages. Did they ship directly to India and cost?
dracul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Auber is not as expensive as the Autometer/AEM/Innovative EGT gauges plus it has some cool features. There is peak EGT recall, can trigger an Alarm if EGT goes above set value, can drive a relay at set value, can display values in F or C. Same gauge can be used as a boost gauge or water/oil temp gauge when hooked up with respective sensors. I am using SYL1813 gauge.

What it doesn't have is an output which can be fed into a ECU or a logger, i think AEM/Innovative has this. This is not a feature that I need in this installation. SYL1812 has an output for datalogger, it is slightly more expensive than SYL1813 and does not come with Blue LED.

They do ship directly to India, landed cost will be under 15K.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd July 2017 at 08:24.
Sankar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:31   #14
BHPian

Awesome piggyback. Can't wait for the results from the final tune.
How does it feel to drive vs your previous Dieseltronic install?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
They do ship directly to India, landed cost will be under 15K.
I am also planning to buy it and install in my S-Cross. I believe it would be very helpful to make a safe tune. Without EGT guage, the tuners have to do theoretical calculations / look at smoke levels etc. I am not driving S-Cross of now and got another 1.6 beast (hardly seen on our roads )
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote