Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 21:46   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
For example the swift comes with a 38 AH battery . My advice would be to replace it with a 45 ,50,55 AH batteries .
Your car's alternator might need to be changed/upgraded if you go in for higher rated battery. And no battery manufacturer will give you warranty coverage if you don't fit the recommended battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
In this respect both amaron and exide set up recycling plants and most of the dealers were instructed to recover the dead batteries by offering discount to the customers .
Lead in the battery is one of the most recycled products in the world. Even before the current lead price fluctuation started lead was recycled in smelters all over the world for generations now. And battery dealers always bought back old batteries at a fixed price.

The developed world has very very strict regulations regarding scrapping and recycling of lead acid storage batteries.

In India we have a thing called Battery Management and Handling Rule which stipulates that every battery sold in the after market is against one old battery taken from the customer and recycled in an authorised smelter, as part of pollution control and as the company's obligation to the society.

In real life that 100 per cent recycling doesn't really happen and some batteries do find their way to unauthorised smelters who fuel the illegal manufacture of batteries in the unorganised sector.

However, most large organised battery manufacturers try to get back as many old batteries from the market as practically feasible.

Exide owns one lead smelter in Pune called Tandon Metals and partly owns another one near Bangalore called Lead Age. Don't know about the lead smelting operation of other battery manufacturers in India. I don't think they have any direct stake in any lead smelter.

I don't know how all this information is really relevant here. But felt obliged to say this in view of certain inaccurate comments being made about lead recycling, which is environmentally a very sensitive subject.

Regards
Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 22:43   #62
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Your car's alternator might need to be changed/upgraded if you go in for higher rated battery. And no battery manufacturer will give you warranty coverage if you don't fit the recommended battery.
.
.
.
I don't know how all this information is really relevant here. But felt obliged to say this in view of certain inaccurate comments being made about lead recycling, which is environmentally a very sensitive subject.

Regards
Sudipto
I do not think I have made any inaccurate or Inappropriate statements . Exide never had any extended warranties until Amaron came into the market.When Exide was all alone in the market they never took recycling batteries seriously ,but today every battery dealer makes it a point to atleast collect the old batteries .

These days it is really difficult to find batteries made by the unorganised sector as the recycling of lead had made the branded companies much more competitive and this reflects in trucks . Now , you can see more trucks sporting branded batteries than a few years ago .


I feel this information is relevant , and any information should be shared in a forum .

Atleast people in Team -BHP now know why manufaturers give pro-rata warranties and why dealers buy the dead batteries for a nice sum .

Last edited by aah78 : 11th November 2008 at 21:44. Reason: Large quoted post edited.
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 06:39   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I do not think I have made any inaccurate or Inappropriate statements . Exide never had any extended warranties until Amaron came into the market.When Exide was all alone in the market they never took recycling batteries seriously ,but today every battery dealer makes it a point to atleast collect the old batteries .

These days it is really difficult to find batteries made by the unorganised sector as the recycling of lead had made the branded companies much more competitive and this reflects in trucks . Now , you can see more trucks sporting branded batteries than a few years ago .


I feel this information is relevant , and any information should be shared in a forum .

Atleast people in Team -BHP now know why manufaturers give pro-rata warranties and why dealers buy the dead batteries for a nice sum .
Oh no. Your comments were certainly not inappropriate.

These extended warranties is a result of increased competition no doubt. You have brand X offering warranty for a year. Brand Y comes along and offers it for 18 months. X reacts with 24 months. That way it keeps growing and then beyond a point innovative concepts like pro-rata warranty etc comes into the picture.
This is a direct result of increased competition which is good.
Question is which brand offers what kind of commitment to its warranty replacement schemes. And reputation gets built or broken over that.

Regarding various company's increased efforts to buy back their own batteries, it is a result of various state pollution control boards' increased effort to implement the Central rule that I mentioned earlier.
Lead smelting from old batteries has always been an attractive business.
The new battery dealers play a critical role in keeping the supply chain going for both authorised and unauthorised smelters. The unauthorised guys pay them more than the large battery players can pay. This disparity is there because the illegal sector has no other costs and can therefore afford to pay (and that too in cash) high rate for the critical raw material. The unorganised sector has no other source for getting raw material.
The unorganised sector still controls about 55 per cent of the battery market in the country as a whole. I think the Tata Green website has a break up of this cold reality in our country.
However, the gradual shift from unbranded to branded battery is happening and it is indeed encouraging to find that many commercial taxis and local trucks are now switching over to branded batteries.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 07:44   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Lead smelting from old batteries has always been an attractive business.

The unorganised sector still controls about 55 per cent of the battery market in the country as a whole.
Agreed, but why is the "local" batteries almost 1/5th that of branded ones of the same capacity?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 09:11   #65
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,607
Thanked: 14,893 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Your car's alternator might need to be changed/upgraded if you go in for higher rated battery. And no battery manufacturer will give you warranty coverage if you don't fit the recommended battery.
You don't need to change alternator
The battery warranty stays even if you put in higher capacity battery.
You can think the battery as a bucket in which you store energy.
If your battery can hold more energy, it will take longer for it to fully charge from full empty level.
In normal running(where the battery is always supposed to be near full charge, if your alternator is okay), it will not make a difference.

I recommend to get pro rate warranty because I have had 2 battery failures within 30 months.

I use a higher Ah battery in the indica.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 09:35   #66
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You don't need to change alternator
The battery warranty stays even if you put in higher capacity battery.
You can think the battery as a bucket in which you store energy.
If your battery can hold more energy, it will take longer for it to fully charge from full empty level.
In normal running(where the battery is always supposed to be near full charge, if your alternator is okay), it will not make a difference.

I recommend to get pro rate warranty because I have had 2 battery failures within 30 months.

I use a higher Ah battery in the indica.
How can I check whether the alternator is working properly or not?
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:14   #67
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,607
Thanked: 14,893 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
How can I check whether the alternator is working properly or not?
Hook up a multimeter.
With AC and headlights on the voltage should be 13V+ at idle
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:17   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default

one more doubt, are there any differences between the various amaron models apart from the price and warranty? they all claim to have the same features
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:39   #69
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hook up a multimeter.
With AC and headlights on the voltage should be 13V+ at idle
Is this common for all cars? I have a Swift with no mods otherthan a basic music player + 4speakers.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:42   #70
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,238
Thanked: 5,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hook up a multimeter.
With AC and headlights on the voltage should be 13V+ at idle
Just go to any good battery place.
Preferably for the same brand as the installed battery.

Ask them to check the battery health.
They will check with:
car off
car on
car on and high rev
car and ac on

Should tell you if your alternator is working fine or not.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:48   #71
BHPian
 
whitemm550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Margao goa
Posts: 347
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

are you a battery dealer boss?

Most of the MF ( maintenance free ) batteries do require regular maintenance and they need to be topped up atleast once in 6 months . Except for SMF VRLA batteries all automotive batteries are supposed to be maintained.

Finally , most of the reputed manufacturers have good manufacturing techniques and the technology is still the same when it comes to lead acid batteries .

Personally , I would go in for the higher AH battery which is the cheapest to buy and I wouldnt really mind about warranty . I would go in for the standard 1 yr or 18 months warranty and not be confused by 60 months and pro rata basis replacement warranties .

Incase any one needs to know about a higher AH battery upgrade ,pls PM me , I will be able to give the model /manufacturer for upgrade .

Finally , prestolite in India is known as EXide the world over .[/quote]

Even Tata Indica uses a DIN type battery .

sorry to correct you mate, but the tata indica DOES NOT Use a DIN type Battery, it uses a normal 65 AH Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Which is the best place to buy a new battery from? I am looking to buy an Amaron. I live in south east Bangalore (BTM) so places nearby would be preferable. What would it approximately cost? Should I go for same spec, or should I go for a more powerful one?
The car is an 800, runs heavy ICE equipment, 90/100 headlights, and Roots horns.

Please help with your inputs!!
mate, Go to the Amaron PITSTOP in Bangalore or best contact 18004254848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Can anyone recommed a dealer in Pune for Amaron?
please contact 18004254848

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I just spoke to a Bosch senior executive, he confirmed that Amaron makes the bosch silver battery, Bosch has a patent on the 'silver plating' technology which they claim makes it a superior product.

for a bosch silver din 44 battery - 5410/- mrp, after discount - 4598/-

for 90AH silver battery - 6104/- mrp, after discount - 5188/-

Batteries : : Official Fansa Motors Website

I checked with a tata green battery dealer, he offered to buy back any old battery at 56/- per kg, the value is in the lead which is recycled.


sat
good for Bosch Mate, suprising that Amaron makes batteries for bosch, that too batteries which are superior to the host co battery, and yet Amaron outsells bosch all hands down??

Last edited by Zappo : 11th November 2008 at 19:10. Reason: 6 back-to-back posts in a span of 20 mins?!! Please use the Edit and Multiquote buttons in future.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 11:16   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default

it happens elsewhere too. amaron can make a better battery for bosch, and still have amaron batteries sell more because of other factors like the availablity, price, dealership etc

for example , moserbaer is the OE for a lot of optical media sold in india, like sony/verbatim. Despite the sony/verbatim being shown to be better than moserbaer in tests, moserbaer still sells more in india because of wider availablity and a 5% price difference
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 11:36   #73
BHPian
 
whitemm550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Margao goa
Posts: 347
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I see everybody is happy with amaron, unfortunately I am not. I got a AMARON battery in my Baleno as part of OE fitment, exactly 1year and 2 days, 17000kms later it went kaput. I am still awaiting warranty replacement
MATE, JUST READ THE WARRANT TERMS ON YOUR CAR WARRANTY MANUAL. THESE BLACK TOP OE BATTERIES ARE WARRANTED FOR A PERIOD OF 15 MONTHS FROM DATE OF MANUFACTURE OR 12 MONTHS FRO DATE OF SALE, WHICHEVER IS EARLIER, SO MATE, DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO GET WARRANTY. YOU ASK ME WHY THE LOW WARRANTY, WELL, THE MANUFACTURERS ARE SUPPLIED THESE OE BATTERIES AT A VERY LOW PRICE TO TAKE IN ACCOUNT THE COMPETITION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
it happens elsewhere too. amaron can make a better battery for bosch, and still have amaron batteries sell more because of other factors like the availablity, price, dealership etc

for example , moserbaer is the OE for a lot of optical media sold in india, like sony/verbatim. Despite the sony/verbatim being shown to be better than moserbaer in tests, moserbaer still sells more in india because of wider availablity and a 5% price difference
YEA THATS COOL, BUT I WOULD BUY THAT ARGUMENT ONLY IS AMARON IS CHEAPER THEN BOSCH, QUALITY COSTS MATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
is it true that there is no Amron battery for skoda?that is what i heard from a trivandrum dealer.can anyone help me to get an Amron battery?
You can go for a amaron din 74 pro battery with 5 years warranty that is recomended for the skoda price is rs 9000/- without exchange of the old battery

Sam I don't know for sure but I would think it would be because the Bosch/Varta batteries would be significantly more expensive then the normal Exide/Amaron/Panasonic etc. And thus due to the price, even though it has superior performance it will sell only as a niche product and suffer the same fate as the Optima's. People like you, LBM, me might buy the high-performance batteries but our numbers are too miniscule to make up a solid business plan!

Mate, you are wrong, the bosch is significantly cheaper then amaron/exide

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please post in lowercase as typing in upper case is equivalent to shouting on internet

Also use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by Zappo : 11th November 2008 at 19:14. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the multi-quote and edit buttons in future. Posts merged.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 13:26   #74
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
are you a battery dealer boss?

Most of the MF ( maintenance free ) batteries do require regular maintenance and they need to be topped up atleast once in 6 months . Except for SMF VRLA batteries all automotive batteries are supposed to be maintained.

Finally , most of the reputed manufacturers have good manufacturing techniques and the technology is still the same when it comes to lead acid batteries .

Personally , I would go in for the higher AH battery which is the cheapest to buy and I wouldnt really mind about warranty . I would go in for the standard 1 yr or 18 months warranty and not be confused by 60 months and pro rata basis replacement warranties .

Incase any one needs to know about a higher AH battery upgrade ,pls PM me , I will be able to give the model /manufacturer for upgrade .

Finally , prestolite in India is known as EXide the world over .
Yes , i am a distributor of Amaron Quanta range for UPS ,but , I dont think i have been marketing anything ..except for offering comments .

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
Even Tata Indica uses a DIN type battery .

sorry to correct you mate, but the tata indica DOES NOT Use a DIN type Battery, it uses a normal 65 AH Battery

Thank you for correcting and sorry for the mistake .

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
You can go for a amaron din 74 pro battery with 5 years warranty that is recomended for the skoda price is rs 9000/- without exchange of the old battery

Sam I don't know for sure but I would think it would be because the Bosch/Varta batteries would be significantly more expensive then the normal Exide/Amaron/Panasonic etc. And thus due to the price, even though it has superior performance it will sell only as a niche product and suffer the same fate as the Optima's. People like you, LBM, me might buy the high-performance batteries but our numbers are too miniscule to make up a solid business plan!

Mate, you are wrong, the bosch is significantly cheaper then amaron/exide
The amaron battery is supposed to be placed on par with johnson controls .. Amaron principals ..and they are OE to a lot of companies . Varta is now a divison of Johnson controls .


Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2008 at 14:39. Reason: See note in post
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 16:14   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,052
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Just for info : Today my OEM Exide Conked after more then 3 years of service. Got changed to Amaron Flo 42BL20 battery(2+2 year warranty thing). Cost: 3950Rs - 450Rs for old battery - 100 Rs more discount;-) = Rs 3400 Rs. Got it from a place called SV batteries in Kanakapura road. They came to my place and replaced it. Checked out with others also but nobody was willing to budge below 3700Rs except this guy. Guaranty car, Bill etc are proper.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amaron Optima Yellow Top: Can they be used for off-roading? swastikviji 4x4 Technical 40 13th December 2010 06:42
Amaron Karting Challenge `10-11 : Corporate & College Endurance Races Rehaan Indian Motorsport 1 2nd December 2010 14:05
Amaron Pro Racing Shoot out mac-a-tac Indian Motorsport 11 12th November 2008 13:24
Amaron + NK to start a racing academy ajmat Indian Motorsport 26 3rd July 2006 13:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks