Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th January 2007, 15:11   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

The above mentioned site says

Quote:
These headlights are currently only available for Japanese Right Hand Drive Swift.
A Left Hand Drive version with E11 will produced early 2007
Swift-Power will be the first that have these available.
Check our website frequently for latest information and expected price
How will LHD & RHD make a diff for head light setup
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:20   #47
Team-BHP Support

the direction of the beam i guess. in rhd it would be pointed a bit to the left so that oncoming drivers dont get blinded.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:24   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the direction of the beam i guess. in rhd it would be pointed a bit to the left so that oncoming drivers dont get blinded.
Is it ?? I never knew this. or s this only for xenons ?

As far as I knew the headlights are balanced on each side with majorly center lighted by both beams
Old 18th January 2007, 15:45   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Is it ?? I never knew this. or s this only for xenons ?

As far as I knew the headlights are balanced on each side with majorly center lighted by both beams
im not sure.. its just a guess..
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The left headlight should be aimed a little higher then the right one.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 16:48   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this done by all companies ?
Old 13th February 2007, 15:49   #52
BHPian

yes. In fact, all RHD vehicles have beams pointing slightly to the left/up to avoid blinding the oncoming right lane. Vice versa in the LHD vehicles...

in fact, if u look at the "importing cars" conditions defined by the Indian customs dept., they require that imported RHD vehicles have headlights that satisfy this requirement. this is not only for xenons, it's for all headlights.
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 02:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Are the new swifts coming with an option of these headlamps ? I saw a car go past with a completely different headlamp assembly, similar to the pic posted on page 3 of this thread. Car more or less seemed stock otherwise, didnt seem like a rice/race boy type
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 08:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
This is the point where we differ. Have you ever (I have not) seen any OE Xenon that doesn't go into a projector. A projector is essential to focus the Xenon beam.
Although I am johnny come lately to this thread, this is not correct. There are a lot of OE implementations of HID without projector beams. The slight advantage of projector beams is that they give sharp beam cut-offs. However, this is not really true in all cases. In my opinion, BMW projector HIDs are one of the worst offenders in blinding on-coming traffic.

Example of OE HID implementation without projectors in the US:

1) Mercedes Benz W210 E Class including the E55
2) Most past Lexus series (LS, GS, ES and IS)
3) Toyota Prius and Toyota Sienna (Limited Version)
4) Previous generation Acura TL
5) Lincoln Aviator/ Navigator
6) GMC Yukon Denali XL
7) I think the previous generation of S class Merecedes Benz too.

Clearly, some of these are DOT implementations so European Code may not apply. The Toyota Sienna Limited is the only one that I know of that comes with a manual level adjustment in HID implementation. As far as I know, it uses the same reflectors as the non-HID version (the non-HID versions don't have a level adjuster).

Now does anyone know what type headlight bulb the Tata Safari uses? Single with two filament halogen?

Last edited by THE-U- : 16th February 2007 at 08:18.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 10:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
The slight advantage of projector beams is that they give sharp beam cut-offs. However, this is not really true in all cases. In my opinion, BMW projector HIDs are one of the worst offenders in blinding on-coming traffic.

Example of OE HID implementation without projectors in the US:

1) Mercedes Benz W210 E Class including the E55
2) Most past Lexus series (LS, GS, ES and IS)
3) Toyota Prius and Toyota Sienna (Limited Version)
4) Previous generation Acura TL
5) Lincoln Aviator/ Navigator
6) GMC Yukon Denali XL
7) I think the previous generation of S class Merecedes Benz too.
manveet good morning here some list of non-projector setup.....with xenons or we can say HID

the benefit we get of the projecter setup is the nice beam cutoff because of the lense in the setup.....

the light above the bulb plane is less as the shield stop the light to pass through it so the major light goes below it .......or we can say it will not blind the on coming driver but will lit the road very clearly.......

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for more info read the above page throughly.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 12:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I own a Swift and i am planning to fit a HID Kit for the head lamps & the fog lamps too. Now, i have throughly read through every page in this thread and have realised that as per the discussions, the conclusion is that HID kits can be fitted on any car provided they have been fitted with the projector setup or else they are illegal. I have seen HIDs in just one car without the projectors and that was the older version of the Lexus LX470 and believe me the beam is blinding whether its infornt of you or behind you. Now, i have noticed that the latest versions of the Lexus LX470 have the projector setup, which according to me can only mean that either the HID fitment without the projectors blind oncoming traffic and are illegal OR the have been introduced to just give a better beam. The glare however is far less when fitted with projectors as compared to those without them. The difference in beam and stuff like that is something i have not experienced as i have never had the pleasure to do so.

Also in this thread, there is a mention of projectors available for the Swift in Delhi. Awesome stuff no doubt. Where are these projectors available in Delhi? Are they available in Mumbai too? If yes, where in Mumbai?

Another thing i forgot to mention with regard to high/low beams in HIDs. I have been interacting with Final Touch (accessory store) in Mumbai from where i plan to fit the HIDs and the representative has assured me of two things, one is that it is absolutely legal (he did not mention anything of it being installed with projectors) and sweared that i would never be caught by the cops & even if i was, he would pay the fine!!! And secondly that there was a high and low beam. Now, im ok with the second point but definitely dont want to take a chance with the first.

So guys, please let me know what i should do.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 20:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have seen HIDs in just one car without the projectors and that was the older version of the Lexus LX470 and believe me the beam is blinding whether its infornt of you or behind you. Now, i have noticed that the latest versions of the Lexus LX470 have the projector setup, which according to me can only mean that either the HID fitment without the projectors blind oncoming traffic and are illegal OR the have been introduced to just give a better beam.
OE HIDs without projectors are not illegal anywhere in the world as far as I know. The retrofits however are in some places.

Due to its wavelength, HID light scatters more than halogens so irrespective of whether its projector beam or normal reflector it is sometimes blinding. I have found the halogen projectors to be blinding (sonata, the new Camry) may be due to slight misalignment. HIDs also appear to be more blinding partly due to the automatic level adjustment that bobs way out of control on bad roads.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 01:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
.... and the representative has assured me of two things, one is that it is absolutely legal (he did not mention anything of it being installed with projectors) and sweared that i would never be caught by the cops & even if i was, he would pay the fine!!!
Irrespective of whether it is illegal or not, you can be rest assured that no cop will catch you in India.

However, if you decide NOT to put it because you don't want to blind oncoming traffic, that is another issue and discussion altogether.

Also, please understand that dealers in India will say anything to sell you the product. Just make sure you get warranty/guarantee against failure and that should be more than enough. From what I understand, very few dealers will provide this to you as most of the HID's being sold in the gray market are cheap imports.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 23:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

interesting thread...
i was considering fitting the angel eye projector lamps that i've seen on some of arush's creations.
for example, in ricky_63's modded lancer:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...?do=big&p=3522
(borrowing your pic ricky, hope u don't mind )

would appreciate if someone could clarify the following:
1. are these legal? there is no auto-beam adjustment in the lancer. i DO NOT want to blind other drivers.
2. do they have a low & a high beam like the OE halogens?
3. are they long-lasting? given that they cost around 15k a pair, i think it's a valid concern! i read somewhere that some people had reliability issues with these... needed to change them or something? arush...?
4. finally, do they actually improve the vision at night? reason i'm asking is this article i got off wiki...
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
its a good insight into HID conversions etc.
this para particularly caught my interest:

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".

what say guys?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Edit to my previous post:
I did some more digging around, including checking out the specs on these aftermarket angel eye units... they are not projector lamps, and they do not have xenons.
Thus, please ignore Questions 1 & 2 in the prev post.
The other two questions stand though...
1. The reliability factor
2. The lighting factor - are these on par with the OEM units, assuming the same bulbs are used in both?

@mods: not sure this post belongs to this thread any more, given that these aren't xenons after all. if you feel this needs to be moved elsewhere, pls do so. thanks.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote