Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 31st January 2011, 15:37   #46
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Sports exhaust for a diesel

Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Reviving an old thread..More than 2 yrs from the last discussions. Any improvised mufflers that guarantees a sporty sound for a diesel car?

PS: Planning for a diesel car within a quarter
Personally, I think diesels with free flows sound funny. First, there's all that clatter from under the hood. Second, the limited revvs of oil burners hardly exploit the sound of a free flow. To give you an example, my Honda's performance exhaust sounds best above 5,000 rpm.

Remember, if you want to prolong the life of a diesel engine, you shouldn't redline. This point is more applicable to diesels than petrols.

Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
my mm540 has the same muffler, and i still beat modern cars in traffic light races, and the sound will make you addicted to rev more.
Oh c'mon, that's a far fetched claim if I ever saw one. The Mahindra Mm540 with the 2.1 engine takes 30 seconds to reach a 100, while even average 1.2 hatchbacks do it in 15 - 16. I hope you aren't trying to say that you gained 14 seconds by a performance exhaust, because that's....IMPOSSIBLE.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 22:17   #47

i can confidently assure you that aero muffler has done immense low end boost to my mm540, makes me confidently drag race sedans when starting from traffic lights.
But it has not made my mm540 to go to 0-100kmph in less than 15 seconds, or beat modern cars in acceleration times.
i just wanted teambhpians to know that there are performance mufflers for diesel, and that too after trying that only. sorry if i had misleaded in giving information in anyway about in-gear accelerations or top speed timings.
my point is that aeroexhaust makes low power diesels (like the xdp4.90) rev more freely, more low end grunt and also V8 like throaty roars. no alteration to headers or any complex fabrications, just plug and play muffler in various diameters available for diesels.
Best Regards.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 20:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Here is the reply from NI Racing Equipments
most diesel cars have a turbo these days. hence the exhaust sound is generally lower than the older diesels.

Not all mufflers wil work with diesel cars. It is important that you choose a reputed brand offering a lifetime warranty

Even if you fit an aftermarket muffler the sound gains will be around 5% only. Hence it is not really worth spending on an expensive muffler.

Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 11:35   #49

Originally Posted by drifter View Post

It sounded great when the car was on load, as in accelerating through the gears and not in nuetral.

The FE was 11-12kmpl (city) 17-18kmpl (highway). It was picking up better from lower down the revrange. Combine that with the petes box, it was a stonker.

PS: FE when stock was 14kmpl (city) and around 19kmpl (highway). Also note I had upsized tyres (205/50R15).
Hey Buddy,
Would this be ok with a diesel engine as well,
I was planning it on my Thar.
davidashish is offline   Reply With Quote