Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd October 2004, 05:18   #1

i was just wondering would it be sane enough to buy a normal mahindra jeep and have it modified to somewhat like a classic? would it be possible? also if it could be slightly raised...
do they still manufacture the classic? if so for about how much?

would it be sensible to buy a used army jeep? i doubt it myself but had heard that they do change the engines and have auctions in punjab.
amogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2004, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi. I bought a 1967 govt auction jeep, 80" wheel base, the same as the classic. I changed the body (repaired completely with new panels), put in a petrol isuzu with 4wd gearbox, disc brakes, power steering, tilt steering cloumn, bucket seats, changed the diff. I spent Rs 1,35,000/- on it with most parts sourced from the used parts market. Sold it to a friend for Rs 1,10,000/-. So if you really want to use it for a while , go ahead and spend otherwise stay far away from it or buy it from some idiot like me.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2004, 16:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Amogh, you can certainly make an older Jeep look like a Classic but on the performance and reliability front...it just wont be like a Classic.

The Classic was developed primarily for export to European countries. The quality of the end product is far superior to anything that Mahindra has made for the local markets. Plus there are other things like disc brakes, electricals etc. which will be difficult to match in the aftermarket.

You can get a decent condition Classic for about 1.5 lacs. Consider it.

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote