Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th December 2006, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Default Fog Lamps for Baleno

I am looking for Fog Lamps for my new Baleno. Dealer is asking for Rs.9000 for MGA which I think is way too high. Any suggestion on which brand / what price to pay ?. I am OK to pay a little premium to get the right ones which will fit Baleno and also keep my warranty going. Plan to get the same fixed through the Dealer during first service. Any idea if dealer would entertain such request ?. Thanks in advance.
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 21:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

The MGA ones arent worth it ....

I'm also searching for something good thats worth it......for the last six months
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Same here guys.The MGA fog lamps are damn expensive. Lets see if some one from the forum finds them cheap else where.Until then lets wait and continue our search also !!

Cheers
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 12:15   #4
BHPian

MGA Is always expensive. But when I think of the quality, I feel that it is worth it. My experience on buying a spoiler for my esteem. MGA costs 7.5K where as in JC Road Accessories shop Bangalore we get it for 2.8K. I felt the material in MGA is better, the one at JC Road had a cracks and they guy says it will be covered when painting. Hope this helps.....
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

these aftermarket cost 1100 for the pair. fits in neatly. light is ok. has two bulbs one white and other normal. also has a led ring around.
[img=http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6592/img015733dv8.th.jpg]
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Thanks Gigy... any name for the Brand ?. Since none of us are from Mumbai, name would help to purchase. Is there anything to look out for in these after market Fog lamps ?.
Old 6th December 2006, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey gigy can you give us a name for the same. and where did you pick it up from ??

and which bulbs are you using for your headlights ??

Last edited by revtech : 6th December 2006 at 14:12.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 14:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

dont really remember since i bought it almost a year back and there is nothing written on the fog lamp body. wild guess it can be neolight. the reflector finish is still very good (as new), so dont think its chinese
Old 6th December 2006, 14:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

subbu sir, looks like you are on a modding spree. Maybe the discussions during last Friday's meet also are a factor.

BTW, when I last checked, the MGA (or is it imported SGA ?) ones were like 13K. So now that you are saying it is 9K, looks like there has been a price reduction.

After-market lamps need to be selected with care. Else you might have to cut the bumper to make the lights fit. Do keep us informed if you come across a good one.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 15:28   #10
BHPian

Not really Supreme. Thought Fog Lamps will enhance the look. Any case, I do lots of travel between Chennai and Pondy. This may help me zap the day lights out of the morons coming on with High Beam. I will take a walk in GP Road and check out a few shops. Will also check out the housing adopters to avoid cutting into the bumper.
Old 6th December 2006, 16:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu
Thought Fog Lamps will enhance the look.
I was thinking that you were opting for fogs due to the stock lights not being bright enough. Durng the initial days, I felt that way (did not find it good enough for certain badly lit stretches in the city) and was thus thinking of fogs, but the 13K price tag made me drop the plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu
This may help me zap the day lights out of the morons coming on with High Beam.
BTW, are you sure the fogs will help you tackle the guys coming with high beam ? Bcos the fog lamp's throw will be more towards the ground and thus would not impact those guys. I might be wrong though.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 18:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

fog will light the road immediately ahead in front of vehicle falling on road. its to see the road when there is fog as fog is lighter or thinner at groung level. when you throw high beam of headlight into fog you will be blinded. yellow light has better penetration in fog.
nothing much can be done about mad guys keeping high beam on in traffic. may be you can install high intensity strobe to temporarily blind oncoming fellow with high beams but in the end of it the risk of accident is high when both are trying to outwit each other with light intensities. end of the day you need to reach home safe. anothe option is getting in front of him if speed is less with your lights off so that he realises whats he doing. better avoid the stunts and let the guy go , he may not continue for long.
Old 7th December 2006, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, when I last checked, the MGA (or is it imported SGA ?) ones were like 13K. So now that you are saying it is 9K, looks like there has been a price reduction.
They are SGA - Stanley lamps. And yes, last I enquired 4/5 months ago , they were 12.5K.

OT - I was enquiring about the Baleno OEM clock. Apparently it costs between 600-1000 !! Might get one if I manage to find one.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
yellow light has better penetration in fog.
Well well this Fog light discussion brought memories back, when I was
in tenth and was interested in hell lot in Sci Fi I was part of the
Indian Arm of NASA Science Youth Arm. In a science summit that was
conducted in Bangalore my team had presented our paper on Refraction
and penetration of light. We had the pleasure of having the Chief NASA
Scientist Dr. Robert Jufergen (I don't remember his last name).
Interestingly, our presentation was on using Fog Lamps in fighter
Jets.

The conclusion was that there no evidence that Yellow or red light
offers better visibility than White Light and it only adds to your problem by reducing your light by 15 – 50% based on the
quality of the light build.

The fog lamps used by NASA or the Armed forces on the hummers and tanks are:
1. Lenses – are made of Lead crystal. Glass is impure and Plastic are
useless when scratched hence Lead Crystal lenses are used.
2. Reflectors – Aluminized Vapour Coated. These are also used in
Microscopes to Laser Guns.
3. Bulbs – Xenon (Currently no match to this)

One more factors, FOG LAMPS ARE ALWAYS ROUND. This is because the
corners of square lamp sacrifice area!

The same is being used in Rally cars to Expedition cars.

So stick with White light, yellow , amber etc is just assumptions....
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 11:24   #15
BHPian

I have clock purchased at RNS Motors Bangalore for Rs 200, it is locally made, fits in the OE place, but to my surprise this digital clock runs fast over a period of time. The fogs from MGA are worth it they are actually SGP they are worth it, I have been running them on my car for last 4 years they have not lost their intensity or had bulb failures, I use them in the city , they are pretty bright and I do not use my headlamps in the city. they are very good driving lamps. i paid about 14k for them
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote