Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 15th December 2006, 08:50   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhiraj View Post
Viper ... i have got free flow exhaust in my 1.8 Optra with a K&N performance filter (replacing the stock intake air box) .. somehow i feel car have more vibrations now .. is it possible that more air going in might be messing it up ? i am planning to go back to stock exhaust and putting back the stock air intake box and just replace the filter with K&N .. any suggestions.
Hi,

Cannot comment without seeing the car but if job is correctly executed you should not have a problem with your setup. Do you have a conical filter or OE replacement.

Is it a vibration you feel or the huming of the exhaust.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 09:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

The OWS twin tips cost Rs750/- each. There are different plugs for different car manufacturers. Some plugs can be used with other makes, nothing to do with engine size.

Viper
Hi viper,thanks for the information, wanted to replace the plugs for my 2001 ikon exi 1.3.Even want to install the most smoothest low noise exhaust system with a K&N filter,all i am not looking at speed but a smooth ride,with some sweet sounds.

ramie
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 10:12   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Hi viper,thanks for the information, wanted to replace the plugs for my 2001 ikon exi 1.3.Even want to install the most smoothest low noise exhaust system with a K&N filter,all i am not looking at speed but a smooth ride,with some sweet sounds.

ramie

Hi Ramie,

Have sent you a PM.

Viper
Old 20th December 2006, 15:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Cannot comment without seeing the car but if job is correctly executed you should not have a problem with your setup. Do you have a conical filter or OE replacement.

Is it a vibration you feel or the huming of the exhaust.

Viper
Viper .. i have conical filter that too a large one ... vibrations i feel as probably getting into my head along with sound of muffler .. so cannot say if its really there or not .. but my question is still unanswered .. if more air goes into the combustion chamber then logically more force should be exerted on the piston and hence more should be vibration (considering that the engine is not desinged to take that much air)... isnt it ? am i wrong here ?
gdhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 18:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhiraj View Post
if more air goes into the combustion chamber then logically more force should be exerted on the piston and hence more should be vibration (considering that the engine is not desinged to take that much air)... isnt it ? am i wrong here ?
Dhiraj - By simply installing a K&N air filter you are not increasing the amount of air flow by a very high percentage, the benefit is marginal. It cannot under any condition approach the limit of the pistons or the engine simply by adding a filter & exhaust. Also all modern MPFI engines have an Air Flow sensor to measure the amount of air being provided to the engine & vary it with the fuel to maintain a even Air-to-Fuel ration to ensure clean combustion & eliminate fuel wastage. Also in all modern cars the engine mountings are designed in a manner that they absorb the inherent vibrations of the engine.

So to answer your question no there is no way that the vibrations could be from the engine as a result of the increased airflow. As I pointed out earlier it could either be due to faulty installation of the Exhaust resulting in it touching the underbody & causing the vibrations or in a worst case scenario it could be that for some reasons you've broken the engine mounting(s) which do cause increased vibration.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 19:47   #21
BHPian

hey gambella
wassup bro ? here is what i would suggest ...go to viper bro...and as for the suggested mods..
OWS Iridium Plugs
Mobile 1 super synth.
Msd 8.5mm Super conducting ignition wires
Msd 2 Blaster coil
Msd Standalone ingnition control
Greddy or any other standalone engine management system
Chippin Of Your ECM so that you can hit 8,000 RPM
Piper High Lift Cams
Free Flow and not from Automech.
Porting and polishing job.
Throttle Body Enlargment.
Larger Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator With a Good high Pressure Fuel Pump
thats about it.. all this is very easy to do and does not require any major mods to the engine. Only thing left will be a suspension upgrade.. im running the yellow koni sports and the difference is HUGE !!!. also get the Stiffer Springs that are made for export by maruti , they are much much better than the standard or try and source elbach springs.Then you also gotta look at braking... 6 pot calipers and crossdrilled discs and stuff...
well i hope that helped.. and come around bro... you can check out my ride anytime...
big big boom bro

Last edited by Tool : 20th December 2006 at 19:50.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 02:41   #22
BHPian

how much did the k&n and the spark plugs cost?
Whats the model of the K&n filter and spark plugs?

Does anyone know where i can get these from kerala or dubai?
Can i get these installed from MASS?

Thanks guys.
micraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 05:12   #23
BHPian

the ows iridium plugs are arnd 750rs each. The filter wll be around 6000-7000 rs depending on the piping you go in for. Prefrably dont go the mass as they might squibble over warrtanty voiding issues. take it to a trusted garage.
Boom
Old 21st December 2006, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Default Need Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
OWS Iridium Plugs
Mobile 1 super synth.
Msd 8.5mm Super conducting ignition wires
Msd 2 Blaster coil
Msd Standalone ingnition control
K&N: Have replacement filters fitted already
OWS Iridium Plugs: Bought them already
Mobile 1 super synth.: would be going in for after flushing the engine with the OWS flush which I already have and before changing the plugs
Msd 8.5mm Super conducting ignition wires: How much do these cost?
Msd 2 Blaster coil: Cost & are these absolutely necessary for performance
Msd Standalone ingnition control: Cost & are these absolutely necessary for performance or would the plugs and the cables improve the performance marginally atleast? Well, my ride is a Santro still need the performance....

Last edited by suren181 : 21st December 2006 at 11:58.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 12:15   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
K&N: Have replacement filters fitted already
OWS Iridium Plugs: Bought them already
Mobile 1 super synth.: would be going in for after flushing the engine with the OWS flush which I already have and before changing the plugs
Msd 8.5mm Super conducting ignition wires: How much do these cost?
Msd 2 Blaster coil: Cost & are these absolutely necessary for performance
Msd Standalone ingnition control: Cost & are these absolutely necessary for performance or would the plugs and the cables improve the performance marginally atleast? Well, my ride is a Santro still need the performance....
Hi Suren

MSD 8.5mm (red)wires approx 4.5k+ for a set of 4 wires.
Its MSD SS Blaster Coil - approx 4.5k as well

No idea about the MSD Standalone price but for Greddy piggyback approx 25k and upto 50k for a complete stand alone from Haltech , Apexi etc(all depends on model). If you dont have a heavilly modded car plugs & wires are good enough and will make a minor difference.

Viper
Old 21st December 2006, 12:28   #26
BHPian

Thank you Viper for the immediate input. Will check out if I can source the Cables at Hyderabad, if not might have to trouble you all again for the need of a source....
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 16:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Dhiraj - By simply installing a K&N air filter you are not increasing the amount of air flow by a very high percentage, the benefit is marginal. It cannot under any condition approach the limit of the pistons or the engine simply by adding a filter & exhaust. Also all modern MPFI engines have an Air Flow sensor to measure the amount of air being provided to the engine & vary it with the fuel to maintain a even Air-to-Fuel ration to ensure clean combustion & eliminate fuel wastage. Also in all modern cars the engine mountings are designed in a manner that they absorb the inherent vibrations of the engine.

So to answer your question no there is no way that the vibrations could be from the engine as a result of the increased airflow. As I pointed out earlier it could either be due to faulty installation of the Exhaust resulting in it touching the underbody & causing the vibrations or in a worst case scenario it could be that for some reasons you've broken the engine mounting(s) which do cause increased vibration.
Ishan, thanks .. i understand ur point and well noted .. quite helpful
gdhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 14:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

change ur exhaust system and do chip tuning.. this help u a lot
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
change ur exhaust system and do chip tuning.. this help u a lot
Can you give us some good sources for chip tuning in North India?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:24   #30
BHPian

hey gambella bro... cmon eagerly awaiting pics .. somethig ..anything . Hows she doing bro? we wait...