Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th December 2006, 04:35   #1
BHPian

Default Drum brakes to Disc

My Optra 1.8 have rear Drum brakes, i wanted to updagrade them to Disc brakes .. i thought it would be easy as the new optra comes with factory fitted Disc brakes. But GM refused to upgrade telling me it might not be safe and they wont take responsibility for it. I thought it was just changing the whole Drum assembly to disc brake assembly but seems like there is more to it... After market modders like Performance Auto are ready to make this change ... i also wanted to have ABS and EBD if possible along with discs ... any suggestions ?
gdhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 10:42   #2
BHPian

I have tries the same thing for Petra 1.6. The FIAT guys told me it'll not be possible to fit ABS, rear disk brakes and air bags.

Please share with us if you find out a way to get this done.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 11:42   #3
BANNED

I had inquired with GM regarding the same thing. They said fitting the discs itself would cost approx 40k, and they themselves said it wasn't worth it.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 12:25   #4
BHPian

upgrade from drums to discs is possible. i i had done it for my lancer when i turbo'd it.

had to buy a used set of disc brakes (1 set for rear and upsize for the front) from malaysia. cost me 50k because of the transportation (courier).

even installing ABS is possible - but has to be aftermarket only. there is a company that sells aftermarket ABS systems in the UK. dont remember the name though.

i personally wouldn't recommend an aftermarket ABS yet. havent heard many reveiws about these systems.

airbag installation - havent heard about this so far! so am guessing its not possible.
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Default Try elektra automotive if u r at chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I have tries the same thing for Petra 1.6. The FIAT guys told me it'll not be possible to fit ABS, rear disk brakes and air bags.

Please share with us if you find out a way to get this done.
I have seen it for an S10 at Elektra Automotive, chennai belonging to an Alpine dealer here. They had some issues with the mass cylinder or something initially but got it sorted out soon. The Disks were those of a santron xing. They told me that the total cost would be around 12k, But they are trying out techniques to bring down the material costs....

I'm eager to ride this car and kurpish patel had promiced me a ride. Will let you know once i get it...
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 15:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you do not have some very high-performance mods I would recommend you do not tamper with the factory brake setup. the Optra has sufficient brakinig power & tampering with it by fitting rear discs won't get you very big benefits. Also if done by an inexperienced hand, it'll cause more problems then it will solve. Secondly the cost would be high & would not be justifiable if looked at objectively.

As for ABS I would NOT recommend getting it retrofitted since the expertise is not available here. Also I think the cost for an after-market ABS setup would also be very high. EBD I would have my doubts if it can be done at all by any of the tuners.

I would recommend you stick to the stock setup & if you really want to get better brake performance, source some high-performance pads from abroad for your car as these can substantially improve your braking performance.

Last edited by iraghava : 20th December 2006 at 15:39.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 16:49   #7
BHPian

I agree with iraghava makes no sense on stock setup better brake pads & getting a wider rubber is the simple solution.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 16:57   #8
BANNED

Jeetu, the Optra's weight makes it a bit of a problem to stop at high speeds without locking up. Even with fatter tyres.

Any suggestions?
Old 20th December 2006, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Jeetu, the Optra's weight makes it a bit of a problem to stop at high speeds without locking up. Even with fatter tyres.

Any suggestions?
Better brake pads since you already have wider rubber.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 18:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
A light weight flywheel helps a lot in in gear breaking i have noticed that in my engine when flywheel was changed to lighter one when you leave the throttle for braking the rpm drops immediately & when your car is in gear you apply brakes the braking is more effective the other option is to make holes in the disc & cross drilled it something like as shown in pic

You can also upgrade your front discs with complete brake upgrade kits which will have slightly larger disc with better brake pads & calipers but you will need to search the application which will fit your vehicle & it will be an expensive option.
Old 20th December 2006, 18:34   #11
BANNED

Thanks Jeetu. I'm not sure if I should tamper with the front discs though. It's the rear drums I'm more concerned about.

I notice under heavy high speed braking, the rear tends to slip out sideways. Was hoping for a solution that doesn't bust my pocket.
Old 20th December 2006, 23:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I notice under heavy high speed braking, the rear tends to slip out sideways. Was hoping for a solution that doesn't bust my pocket.
the rear slip out sideways is with your car only or is it with all optras? I suggest you take up this matter with GM Service.
Old 21st December 2006, 00:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Does this happen in straight line or when in turns? If its in a straight line then u better get it checked...
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 04:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I had inquired with GM regarding the same thing. They said fitting the discs itself would cost approx 40k, and they themselves said it wasn't worth it.
They gave me reason of security and warranty as well besides the costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If you do not have some very high-performance mods I would recommend you do not tamper with the factory brake setup. the Optra has sufficient brakinig power & tampering with it by fitting rear discs won't get you very big benefits. Also if done by an inexperienced hand, it'll cause more problems then it will solve. Secondly the cost would be high & would not be justifiable if looked at objectively.

As for ABS I would NOT recommend getting it retrofitted since the expertise is not available here. Also I think the cost for an after-market ABS setup would also be very high. EBD I would have my doubts if it can be done at all by any of the tuners.

I would recommend you stick to the stock setup & if you really want to get better brake performance, source some high-performance pads from abroad for your car as these can substantially improve your braking performance.
Sounds like a decent suggestion .. thanks .. only point that bothers me is new optra comes with rear disc .. there has to be a reason why GM introduced rear disc on Optra .. I am planning to upgrade my wheels from 14 to either 15 or 16 .. hope that will not effect my car's breaking ? since i know the gearing will change when the overall dia of wheel will change .. how abour breaks ?

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I felt a woble when i was in second doing about 70 Kmph overtaking a freaking Auto with a wall of flyover on my other side .. for a moment i felt which one should hit .. auto or wall .... i surely felt need of ABS and better breaking that time ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
A light weight flywheel helps a lot in in gear breaking i have noticed that in my engine when flywheel was changed to lighter one when you leave the throttle for braking the rpm drops immediately & when your car is in gear you apply brakes the braking is more effective the other option is to make holes in the disc & cross drilled it something like as shown in pic

You can also upgrade your front discs with complete brake upgrade kits which will have slightly larger disc with better brake pads & calipers but you will need to search the application which will fit your vehicle & it will be an expensive option.
Any suggestion where in Delhi can i upgrade the front discs .. i guess i will mess up with the warranty in that case ..

Quote:
Thanks Jeetu. I'm not sure if I should tamper with the front discs though. It's the rear drums I'm more concerned about.

Shiva got a solution which will not bust ur pocket ... "Drive Slow" ..

Just kidding man ... no sweat .. i need the solution too ..

Quote:
the rear slip out sideways is with your car only or is it with all optras? I suggest you take up this matter with GM Service.
It did slip once for mine .. 1.8 Optra .. who wants to join me in taking this up with GM .. lets get a new optra replacement which will come with rear disc and abs ..
gdhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:21   #15
BANNED

Quote:

Happens with my dad's car too. Personally I think it's lack of EBD - the front is braking harder than the rear because of front discs v/s drums at the back. Hence sometimes the car tends to slide a bit sideways and needs course corrections. This has happened a couple of times on the Expressway, NH4 etc when someone's suddenly cut from the left and forced me to stomp on the brakes.

Of course I could be wrong about the cause, which is why I'm asking.

GM Service is useless for anything outside the basic parameters that they're trained for. I could give the car to a bunch of monkeys who'd probably find a better and quicker solution.