Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th April 2010, 10:30   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Shaju & Riju, So do you guys mean to say that fitting the art leather covers by removing fabric(by hooking/clipping on the art leathers onto the sponge directly)doesnt last long as compared to the art leather getting clipped onto the fabric ? If thats the case then how the stock fabrics are fitted from factory that are supposed to long last ?
Lets say you remove the older fabric, you simply cant hook up the new covers to the PU foam. Like I said the new covers need to have slots for inserting the metal string/elastic band and the eye hooks are clamped to these which act as support thereby not damaging the PU foam .

Its pretty straight forward, imagine building a body for a bus. They make the skeleton 1st and then weld sheet metal on to it. Same process here just that they use the metal string for rigidity.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 10:54   #512
BHPian

RJ, Then what is the process that they follow to install art leathers by removing fabric ?
Where are the the covers getting hooked to ?
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 13:25   #513
Senior - BHPian

Siva, I am not very sure about the detailed process, but what I saw convinced me that with the stock fabric it would give a stronger fitting to the new covers. Fitment done straight to the PU foam might also involve additional work like using the threads for extra supports apart from the clipping. It might use the metal frames around for a proper installation. Here one is not better than the other, but the labour varies.

The fitment done on the stock fabric took only 2.30 hrs in my car, I think it will take more time if done directly to the PU foam. Hope my explanation makes sense. Open to correction if experts find anything different.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 13:57   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RJ, Then what is the process that they follow to install art leathers by removing fabric ? Where are the the covers getting hooked to ?
I have seldom seen installers removing the stock fabric when using art leather. I don't think most would remove the stock covers except for the renowned manufacturers like Stanley/Ovion/Marvin/Karlsson .

I have seen quite umpteen jobs from G-sport and 90% of them retained the stock covers for an art leather job.

Yajaman99's fiesta was done at Stanley and I think they removed the stock covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Fitment done straight to the PU foam might also involve additional work like using the threads for extra supports apart from the clipping. It might use the metal frames around for a proper installation. Here one is not better than the other, but the labour varies.

The fitment done on the stock fabric took only 2.30 hrs in my car, I think it will take more time if done directly to the PU foam. Hope my explanation makes sense. Open to correction if experts find anything different.
I had like 6 guys working on my Scorp' at Ovion and was delivered flat in 3 hours with an uneven hand-rest slot.Check image

Art Leather Seat Covers-marked.jpg
Old 28th April 2010, 14:26   #515
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^
Oh, that's bad. Open areas can be easily adjusted by pulling and adding additional clips/strings. But this type of close area needs to be done carefully right from the size of the piece in this area and workmanship also play key role here.

I think in this case they did the hand rest portion casually without checking the FIT. That single area spoil the looks of otherwise good work, are you planning to do something on this?.

@shajufx - Nice colour choice, and looks good with the Fiesta interior. Minor issue of proper 'fill' is seen, but as you said it will get 'filled' within a week or two. For head rests you can do a hand job!!

one qtn - Is it your stock seat you shown with cuts made? :-))

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th April 2010 at 14:44.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 14:34   #516
Senior - BHPian

Riju, yours is a fantastic work overall, I like it far superior to what I got. I know its not fair to compare my 9.5k job to 25+. But 6 guys took 3 hours ??

Yes Latheesh, thats the stock seats shown with the horizontal cuts made for clipping the new covers. But the black edges are from the garage floor.

See my single humble installer from Gsport slogging his butt off ! He finished the work in 2.30 hrs flat. He denied my frequent offer of some soft drinks. I felt bad looking at him sweating and struggling in a half day power-cut affected garage. He is with Gsport since 5 years, I couldnt ask for more.
Name:  gp.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  322.9 KB

Last edited by shajufx : 28th April 2010 at 14:36.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:09   #517
BHPian

shaju & RJ, thanks to your responses. As I am keen on going with Marvin for my car and that too with the fabric removed, I shall soon find how the work is eventually performed.

Rj.. as you mentioned only the real leather guys do the fabric removal thing, but Marvin also does it for the art leathers that they offer. I expect my seat covers to fit like the Levis Red Tab jeans
Old 28th April 2010, 15:20   #518
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^ According to me you can get Levis Red Tab fit without removing the stock fabric cover. In my case I opted to keep the stock cover, I love the beige stock cover came with my car.

They did not cut the seat as they did in Shajufx's car. Instead they pocked holes and passed strings through it to the other side and fitted it with the frame. This strings are basically to maintain the seat contours (I may be wrong), proper fixing/fit of the cover is done by using 'c' shaped clips.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:10   #519
BHPian

Thumbs up

Shaju, nice covers you opt for the car. It really gel with the interior and gives a rich feel. Congrats.

Riju, I hope that can be fixed. Take it to the Ovion guys.

s3va, I can vouch for Marvin's fit and finish. In my safari they have removed the OEM covers and the fit is exactly like the original. Even after an year its still holding good.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:19   #520
BHPian

Latheesh, I have seen the way that you have described before, in my previous car as well as the one that i have presently. But sadly I havent seen the Red Tab fit. Of course it might be due to the workmanship.

LionX, do you have Marvin's art leathers or the pure ones ?
Old 28th April 2010, 16:38   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
In my case I opted to keep the stock cover, I love the beige stock cover came with my car.
By any chance do you remove the new covers once a while to see the original stock cover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Shaju, nice covers you opt for the car. It really gel with the interior and gives a rich feel.
Sumith, thanks, I shave my head regularly, so I thought beige would gel with my scalp than the fiesta interiors !!
Where are you these days ?? No proof of existance !!
Old 28th April 2010, 16:38   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Latheesh, I have seen the way that you have described before, in my previous car as well as the one that i have presently. But sadly I havent seen the Red Tab fit. Of course it might be due to the workmanship.

LionX, do you have Marvin's art leathers or the pure ones ?
I have art leather in my car. Pictures are there in this thread itself.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:55   #523
BHPian

LionX. I just referred your pic. That is exactly the one my friend has also in his swift except for the difference that its all Black in his car. I can see Marvin standing out on workmanship.

Now that art leathers installation process is being discussed, could you please elaborate on how the actual installation process was, something similar to the lines on how Shaju & RJ have explained ? Like how it gets clipped onto the foam directly as the fabric is removed et al..Appreciate it .
Old 28th April 2010, 17:01   #524
BHPian

sive, I have no idea regarding the process as I dropped the car at their workshop and picked up fully done.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:19   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^
Oh, that's bad. Open areas can be easily adjusted by pulling and adding additional clips/strings. But this type of close area needs to be done carefully right from the size of the piece in this area and workmanship also play key role here.

I think in this case they did the hand rest portion casually without checking the FIT. That single area spoil the looks of otherwise good work, are you planning to do something on this?.
The problem was that the PU foam in that area was way too thin and if I were to even stitch a fabric seat cover it would be quite tough to get the perfect fit.
I am sure they should be able to figure out a way to fix this on saturday. I am going back to see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Riju, yours is a fantastic work overall, I like it far superior to what I got. I know its not fair to compare my 9.5k job to 25+. But 6 guys took 3 hours ??
shaju it was like remove all seats from the Scorp' one by one. Remove the OE covers and then put the stitched material on it. After that the seats needed to be fitted back.

Quote:
Rj.. as you mentioned only the real leather guys do the fabric removal thing, but Marvin also does it for the art leathers that they offer. I expect my seat covers to fit like the Levis Red Tab jeans
I did mention that in my previous post

Quote:
I don't think most would remove the stock covers except for the renowned manufacturers like Stanley/Ovion/Marvin/Karlsson .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Riju, I hope that can be fixed. Take it to the Ovion guys.
Yeah am being optimistic about the fact they can fix it up for me.