Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st May 2010, 09:49   #166
BHPian

@pavan : Now that's something which was in my mind from a very long time, Spoke with few mechanics in hyderabad but few refused to do it saying " it cant happen saab ".
One guy said it can be done but you need to make several trials before it can actually be installed on the ride and its gonna cost a bomb for that process, So waiting for some one to do it first
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 17:37   #167
BHPian

Default Tacho for M800 - 5S

Hi,
I need help in getting a Tacho for my M800 - 5Speed. I am in Coimbatore, have been searching in major stores at Jail road, but not able to get.

Can any team member help me to get one.

Regards,
Suresh
sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 15:37   #168

How much would you think a complete engine, gearbox and AC restoration would cost?
david.mcgreggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 18:06   #169
BHPian

Default Automatic M800

Hello All,

Today I stumbled upon an interesting car - an M800 Automatic. I've never heard about an automatic M800. Attached are some of the images.

The car seems to have 86-87 reg. no. Some features I noticed are that the car has an 'Automatic' tag at the boot, switch controls are opp. compared to other 800's, i.e. head-light switch is on the left side and wiper controls on the right side. Can anyone else shed more light on these cars?

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right threads. Moderators kindly move if it is not the correct thread.

Thanks,
Jose.
Attached Images

josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 19:01   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hello All,

Today I stumbled upon an interesting car - an M800 Automatic. I've never heard about an automatic M800. Attached are some of the images.

The car seems to have 86-87 reg. no. Some features I noticed are that the car has an 'Automatic' tag at the boot, switch controls are opp. compared to other 800's, i.e. head-light switch is on the left side and wiper controls on the right side. Can anyone else shed more light on these cars?

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right threads. Moderators kindly move if it is not the correct thread.

Thanks,
Jose.
These cars were available as 'Disabled friendly cars'. Ironically, only a handful of fully 'able' persons could afford cars at that time, leave alone the differently abled. One of my classmates had this car and, was easily the ONLY automatic in Delhi.

BTW, his car was also repainted green, what state is this one registered?

What you've spotted is an absolute rarity.

Last edited by JustCause : 15th May 2010 at 19:04.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 19:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

How dirty is seat of this Automatic 800. No body will dare to sit inside this car.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 19:20   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
@pavan : Now that's something which was in my mind from a very long time, Spoke with few mechanics in hyderabad but few refused to do it saying " it cant happen saab ".
One guy said it can be done but you need to make several trials before it can actually be installed on the ride and its gonna cost a bomb for that process, So waiting for some one to do it first
It is possible, Not expensive.

Search on for a good disc brake unit(New Maruti Van) Approx Cost Rs. 2500/-
Fitting and modifications Rs. 3000/-

Total = Rs 6000/-

That should be the final price for conversion, take a appreciation of 20% just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi,
I need help in getting a Tacho for my M800 - 5Speed. I am in Coimbatore, have been searching in major stores at Jail road, but not able to get.

Can any team member help me to get one.

Regards,
Suresh
Any 3 cylinder tacho should do, they are plentily available.

I had one from Pricol, unfortunately my friend forcibly took it from me.

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
Jose.
There were couple of Automatics sold during 1994 - 96. My friend had it in Bangalore , very clean car, sold it before i could lay my hands on them.

Till date, i am searching for the Autobox for my M-800.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 19:56   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
These cars were available as 'Disabled friendly cars'. Ironically, only a handful of fully 'able' persons could afford cars at that time, leave alone the differently abled. One of my classmates had this car and, was easily the ONLY automatic in Delhi.

BTW, his car was also repainted green, what state is this one registered?

What you've spotted is an absolute rarity.
JustCause, what you said must be correct because I suppose this car belongs to a doctor who is handicapped.

I don't think the car is in original paint. Parking lights, tail lights, wheel caps, etc. has been replaced. And this car has been lying idle for some time since I can see spider webs in the wheel arches.

The car has Kottayam, Kerala registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How dirty is seat of this Automatic 800. No body will dare to sit inside this car.
Anujmishra, I'm sorry for the quality of pix. The seats are not actually dirty, it's their color and material stuff that makes you look like dirty. They are kind of smooth satin like material.

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 21:02   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It is possible, Not expensive.

Search on for a good disc brake unit(New Maruti Van) Approx Cost Rs. 2500/-
Fitting and modifications Rs. 3000/-

Total = Rs 6000/-

That should be the final price for conversion, take a appreciation of 20% just in case.

the figure looks good but people out here are not ready to take a chance with it. I tried asking some mechanics about conversion of my rear drums to discs and they straight away said they cant experiment. I'll try having a talk with the carnation fellows if they can execute it or not.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 23:03   #175
BHPian

Quote:
JustCause, what you said must be correct because I suppose this car belongs to a doctor who is handicapped.

I don't think the car is in original paint. Parking lights, tail lights, wheel caps, etc. has been replaced. And this car has been lying idle for some time since I can see spider webs in the wheel arches.

The car has Kottayam, Kerala registration.

Anujmishra, I'm sorry for the quality of pix. The seats are not actually dirty, it's their color and material stuff that makes you look like dirty. They are kind of smooth satin like material.

Thanks,
Jose.
The seats appear that way because of the velvet like material of the seat cover, when it is viewed from an angle.

My friend's car was originally white and was a Karnataka registration, he brought it to Delhi, re painted and subsequently sold it to a local buyer.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 00:23   #176
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Can anybody help with the details of some dealer in Delhi or Gurgaon for Pricol tachometer for the 3 cylinder engine in Alto?

I am sorry if I posted in the wrong thread, but thought that since the engine is almost same in 800 & Alto (ALMOST same), I might as well ask here.

Thanks.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:25   #177
BHPian

You may consider going to a MASS and asking them to install a tacho of the A-Star. A-star is also a 3-cyl car.
Would recommend you to get it done from MASS since its not an easy install.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 22:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

I enquired with Pricol & they have stopped manufacturing the RPM meters. The reason cited was that most car manufacturers today give the tachometers as part of the instrument consoles (at least as an option) & hence there was a negligible demand for these aftermarket tachos.

Also, the VX console, according to one Mr. Ashutosh (who looks after Maruti), would not work in an Alto as said accross some posts on TBHP. I am not sure which version is correct.

@krazydriver: As for the tacho of A-star, I will have to confirm this with MASS, wil do that & update. However it is also 1000cc, if that has anything to do with a tachometer reading or working.

Thanks.
Old 10th June 2010, 00:26   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
@krazydriver: As for the tacho of A-star, I will have to confirm this with MASS, wil do that & update. However it is also 1000cc, if that has anything to do with a tachometer reading or working.

Thanks.
A tacho works on the pulses in the electrical system so cubic capacity of an engine is immaterial. So theoretically a star tacho should work, just find out how much it costs cuz it could cost more than the auto meter or autogauge tachos available in the market

Dont bother asking MASS about it. i can guarantee that they are incapable of doing such conversions. Youll only find mechanics there , not engineers, so this kind of custom jobs are beyond their grasp. Youll have to find someone knowledgeable enough to do the wiring for you, or maybe you should read up on your own and do the install yourself.

The vx version's console wont work for the simple reason that the vx didnt have a 3 cylinder engine. It was wagon r's 4 cylinder engine

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 10th June 2010 at 00:28.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 00:38   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
A tacho works on the pulses in the electrical system so cubic capacity of an engine is immaterial. So theoretically a star tacho should work, just find out how much it costs cuz it could cost more than the auto meter or autogauge tachos available in the market

Dont bother asking MASS about it. i can guarantee that they are incapable of doing such conversions. Youll only find mechanics there , not engineers, so this kind of custom jobs are beyond their grasp. Youll have to find someone knowledgeable enough to do the wiring for you, or maybe you should read up on your own and do the install yourself.

The vx version's console wont work for the simple reason that the vx didnt have a 3 cylinder engine. It was wagon r's 4 cylinder engine
Hey mate,

Thank you so much for that prompt & lucid response.

Also to know whether this tacho from AStar is gonna work on my car or not, I will need to consult some mechanic (aka engineer). I will check with my guy at MASS for getting his opinion on this, although seeing that you are from Delhi, can you point me towards somebody who can guide me as well do this job for me at reasonable rates?

Also, any idea on which company's tacho is AStar using, because if it's Pricol, I can get in touch with the company again.

Thanks.