Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 22:53   #226
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

@dr.faramroze :

165/60 r12 will pull down your aconomy by 1-2kmpl at MAX. I',m running on 165/60 r13 but my mileage is almost the same in the city ( some 1-2kmpl diff sometimes ).

My idling issue started again :(. Idling keeps fluctuating all the time. Some of the times it even turnsoff the engine. Took it to every maruthi autorised service places but NO luck. Going to a different one tomorrow. Last time a mechanic did something to the spark plugs ad the idling problem was sorted to an extent but not completely. I had plans to get NGK IRIDIUM sparks, CAI plus a FFE. Will this be of any help by any chance?
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 23:06   #227
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
as far as i know the 800 does not come in autobox anywhere in this world, getting a compatible auto gearbox would be a pain, and if something goes bad then, who am i talking to, the guy who restores cars by finding the rarest of parts, good luck with your search.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
You cannot buy a new M800 with auto tranny now, but there were few examples sold in India around 1986-88. Finding one now though, would be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Best bet would be Delhi/Mumbai.

@ Pavan Kadam - I believe it would be easier for you to get hold of a second hand Zen / Santro with auto tranny than to find an 800 with auto transmission. To start with very few examples were sold as people were not too keen on the auto tranny then, due the lower FE from the auto box. Finding an M800 now with original auto box will be much harder than finding an original Mahindra Classic. Hope you get the drift. I know you are the master restorer on the forum, but IMHO, I don't think the effort would be worth it.

3 months of speculation and 1 month of search.

I found my much elusive Auto transmission kit, all working from a 1995 M-800. The car owner left the car with a mechanic in Pondicherry @ 17850 kms on the odo, now since last 15 years he's living abroad. The car had to be scrapped due to rusting, but the clever mechanic has the engine and gearbox.

I will be driving down there in the next few days to claim it.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:06   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
3 months of speculation and 1 month of search.

I found my much elusive Auto transmission kit, all working from a 1995 M-800. The car owner left the car with a mechanic in Pondicherry @ 17850 kms on the odo, now since last 15 years he's living abroad. The car had to be scrapped due to rusting, but the clever mechanic has the engine and gearbox.

I will be driving down there in the next few days to claim it.
You are one lucky man ! I guess you can buy the gearbox alone, no need to buy the entire car.

Last edited by longhorn : 1st July 2010 at 11:08.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 12:14   #229
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

@kingofmyworld, Iridiums did help in my 1999 carb M-800, I can't say about 5spd. I did'nt feel drastic performance improvement after CAI, though can be better after ffe installation. If you plan to put any performance mods, get them done only after your car is in original stock like new condition. For eg. If there is injector clogging, ecu or timing bearing problem, the improvement in performance may not be felt.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:58   #230
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Gave it at the last MASS place left in hyd and told him all the issues. I'm getting a new clutch, pressure plates etc. told him check the sparks , injectors and stuff, My M800 is running on stock NGK plugs. I hope everything becomes normal so that I can continue with my mods.
Fingers crossed
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 23:35   #231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
@kingofmyworld, Iridiums did help in my 1999 carb M-800, I can't say about 5spd. I did'nt feel drastic performance improvement after CAI, though can be better after ffe installation. If you plan to put any performance mods, get them done only after your car is in original stock like new condition. For eg. If there is injector clogging, ecu or timing bearing problem, the improvement in performance may not be felt.
Very true, Iridium plugs do help in better running of cars, even my M-800 is running on Iridium plugs since last 35K kms.

They are good.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:38   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Very true, Iridium plugs do help in better running of cars, even my M-800 is running on Iridium plugs since last 35K kms.

They are good.

how?, its all mental pavan, trust me it is, until you are going f1


Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 15:38   #233
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

@kingofmyworld, which rims did you fit into 165/65r13, or were they alloys? I want to know the rim size and pcd if it matters. Can the wagon r/ zen rim be a direct bolt on? Since the 5-speed m-800 bears majority parts of alto, can we put alto power steering without major mods?
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 23:36   #234
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
@kingofmyworld, which rims did you fit into 165/65r13, or were they alloys? I want to know the rim size and pcd if it matters. Can the wagon r/ zen rim be a direct bolt on? Since the 5-speed m-800 bears majority parts of alto, can we put alto power steering without major mods?
You need to get rims or alloys with 114.3 PCD. And its 165/60 r 13. not 165 / 65 r13. 165/65 r13 isnt available I believe. Old zen's rims are also 114.3 PCD so I guess you can get them if they are still available. Power I dont think its a good thing to get cause most of them gave bad feedback about it. Failure and stuff so I dint go for it.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:25   #235
BHPian
 
sureshshanmugam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 79
Thanked: 3 Times
Default K&N Conical + FFE at Coimbatore

Hi,
I wish to fit a K&N conical Filter and an good FFE in my 5S. I dont see any good place in Coimbatore to this mod. Can any mate from Coimbatore throw some light on where I can get this done in Coimbatore.

Regards,
Suresh
sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:47   #236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

are you sure about the free flow? i wanted one too for all my cars but i decided against the idea atleast for the daily use car since a FFE will kill the torque at lower rpms and the 5s 800 anyways has most of its power high up in the rpm range. the FFe will boost that power but kill the driveability. as it is 800's have a weak low range. the trademark strong midrange will also be compromised.

Consider all the pros and cons. It may sound great but it may not be practical especially if your stuck in traffic and with the a/c on you will need all the low rpm torque she can make.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 08:14   #237
BHPian
 
sureshshanmugam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 79
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi,

I have serviced my M 800 5Speed (73,000 on the odo) yesterday and have done the following work. Now the ride is improved and the breaking has improved.

1. Casrol Magnatec - Rs.900 for a 3ltr can, wanted to go for Synthetic , but budget issues
2. Castrol 90 Gear oil - Rs. 390 for 2 ltr
3. Golden Cruiser Coolant - Rs.160 for 1ltr
4. Oil Filter Purolater - Rs 79
5. Air Filter Rs. 120
6. Timing Belt Rs. 275
8. Waterpump Belt Rs. 90
9. Brake Pad - Front KBX - Rs.240
10.STP Engine Flush - Rs 250
11. TVS Brake Fluid - 95 for 500ml
12. Front Wheel oil Seal - Rs 76 for 2
13. Rear Cylinder Assembly KBX - Rs.400
14. Rear Brke shoes set KBX - Rs.330
14. Radiator Top hose with clips -Rs. 94
15. Spark Plug Champion set of 3 - Rs.185 - was hunting for Bosch but couldnt get it.
16. Drive Shaft Boot (1) - Rs.110
17. Cotton Waste - Rs.30
18. AP grease 500gms - Rs.70

Labor:
19. Lathe charges for Drum and disc polish - 300
20. Water Wash - 150
21. Mechanical Labor for replacing the above and other services like Tappet adjustment, Clutch adj, valve clearance etc.:1300

total set to Rs.5,554/-

I did a service around a year back and the brakes were almost worn out so I had to replacemost of the brake stuffs.

Please let me know if the above prices are decent for a normal garage - but the quality of work was good as I stayed both the days with the folks and was watching them work.

Now the next catch is when he adjusted the clutch, he said that clutch is almost done and may last for another 10K kms.
What would be the normal life of a clutch and what could be the cost of replacing the clutch components?
What else may get worn out shortly and may need replacement

Another doubt! one of the other person who came to the garage had an Esteem AC Compressor fitted to it without any mod work.
Am also thinking to hunt for one from the junk yard. The mechanic said he can fit it for me and a good one can be bought for 1.5K

Thanks for your support.
sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 08:22   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi,

I have serviced my M 800 5Speed (73,000 on the odo) yesterday and have done the following work. Now the ride is improved and the breaking has improved.

1. Casrol Magnatec - Rs.900 for a 3ltr can, wanted to go for Synthetic , but budget issues
2. Castrol 90 Gear oil - Rs. 390 for 2 ltr
3. Golden Cruiser Coolant - Rs.160 for 1ltr
4. Oil Filter Purolater - Rs 79
5. Air Filter Rs. 120
6. Timing Belt Rs. 275
8. Waterpump Belt Rs. 90
9. Brake Pad - Front KBX - Rs.240
10.STP Engine Flush - Rs 250
11. TVS Brake Fluid - 95 for 500ml
12. Front Wheel oil Seal - Rs 76 for 2
13. Rear Cylinder Assembly KBX - Rs.400
14. Rear Brke shoes set KBX - Rs.330
14. Radiator Top hose with clips -Rs. 94
15. Spark Plug Champion set of 3 - Rs.185 - was hunting for Bosch but couldnt get it.
16. Drive Shaft Boot (1) - Rs.110
17. Cotton Waste - Rs.30
18. AP grease 500gms - Rs.70

Labor:
19. Lathe charges for Drum and disc polish - 300
20. Water Wash - 150
21. Mechanical Labor for replacing the above and other services like Tappet adjustment, Clutch adj, valve clearance etc.:1300

total set to Rs.5,554/-

I did a service around a year back and the brakes were almost worn out so I had to replacemost of the brake stuffs.

Please let me know if the above prices are decent for a normal garage - but the quality of work was good as I stayed both the days with the folks and was watching them work.

Now the next catch is when he adjusted the clutch, he said that clutch is almost done and may last for another 10K kms.
What would be the normal life of a clutch and what could be the cost of replacing the clutch components?
What else may get worn out shortly and may need replacement

Another doubt! one of the other person who came to the garage had an Esteem AC Compressor fitted to it without any mod work.
Am also thinking to hunt for one from the junk yard. The mechanic said he can fit it for me and a good one can be bought for 1.5K

Thanks for your support.
The prices look reasonable, but..No one can tell you how long will your clutch last. Is your car clutch slipping? well to test it engage the handbrake when the car is still and engage in 2nd gear and slowly release the clutch without accelerating. Find out if the car dies slowly or jerks to a stop. If the former happens your clutch is slipping else its fine. The esteem compresses is lot bigger for an 800(i thing its above 100cc), it will put a lot of strain on the engine when the AC is turned on and you will have more problems. Best idea would be to buy a new 800 compressor and install it. If you just need the compressor it can be brought for around 5k(excluding the gas filling), if you need the whole AC unit then you will have to shell out up to 15k(including the gas filling)

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 17:49   #239
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

For all those who wish to install booster assisted brakes in their carb M-800. As the experts have indicated previously on TBHP, the Zen carburettor is a direct fit on the M-800, Now, while spending a few hours with my 5-speed at garage, I learnt that Zen's carb assembly with the vaccuum booster with the vaccuum hose can be fitted on to the M-800. Hope the information helps.
dr.faramroze is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 18:01   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
For all those who wish to install booster assisted brakes in their carb M-800. As the experts have indicated previously on TBHP, the Zen carburettor is a direct fit on the M-800, Now, while spending a few hours with my 5-speed at garage, I learnt that Zen's carb assembly with the vaccuum booster with the vaccuum hose can be fitted on to the M-800. Hope the information helps.
My 2000 model 5 speed came without boosters. I'd like to know if which would be more effective - fitting the 5 speed's booster kit(that came from the 2001 model year) or going in for the zen's?
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Ram Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 235 28th November 2017 12:40
Maruti 800 STD & 800 DX..pros & cons ? shapath Technical Stuff 6 21st August 2015 11:32
Figo Suspension - to mod or not to mod KiloAlpha Modifications & Accessories 18 13th May 2013 19:00
Old model Suzuki 800 mod questions. Sankar Modifications & Accessories 61 6th May 2009 23:40
To mod or not to mod, is not the question. aalaap Shifting gears 15 18th November 2004 19:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks