Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st August 2010, 23:45   #256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_namakkal View Post
Pavan, What are these brake boosters? what are the advantages. I own a 93 model maruti 800 and would like to have this brake boosters
Brake boosters help in better braking. It uses the vacuum from the intake manifold and assists in quicker, sharper, Better and less strain during braking,

There is no modification with the whole set-up, its a simple plug and play unit

The unit is manufactured by KBX and approximately costs Rs 2800/-, Fitting and adjusting the brakes takes 30 minutes.

Brakes has to be bleeded and adjusted, with the engine ON.

Braking becomes hard when you turn your engine OFF.

8 yrs and i love the braking in my M-800
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:31   #257
BHPian

Thanks Pavan, I will go for it. Also please look into my earlier post about dashboard cleaning. any idea?
vinod_namakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:33   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pavan, I will go for it. Also please look into my earlier post about dashboard cleaning. any idea?
it looks like the colour of your dash has faded and that too not uniformly plus due to various liquids there is damage to the surface. This i am afraid is irrepairable. Your options are :

1.get a new dash from A.S.S
2.get a good used dash from scrapyard
3.get it painted. this can yield brilliant results that are beautiful and longlasting but the paints and the procedure for dash painting is different and only guys who know what they are doing should do it. so find someone like that.
4.get it covered with leather or rexine(more sensible).A lot of peple get their dashes covered with red and black leather in cars like the swift for that sporty look but the colour and style options are diverse. i have seen a contessa with the plastic parts of the dashboard painted and the parts that are covered in vinyl covered with a new vinyl just to change the colours of the interior to beige

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 2nd August 2010 at 15:39.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:06   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
I always missed foglamps on my M800 so decided to get a pair of them and finally got HELLA h3 projector fogs, Installed them today and here are the end results.. I have HIDs in my headlamps and these are halogens, I don't feel both gell well so thinking of upgrading to HIDs in fogs too.
Hey,

What series of projectors are these fog lamps and how much did you pay for them. would be interested in a similar set up for my alto.

cheers,
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:38   #260
BHPian

MCHAB, Thanks I enquired with a auto store in Coimbatore famous one and they say 93 model dash will cost Rs. 2200 and 2000 model will cost Rs. 1800. I just thought of fitting the new model and yes the challenge is I have have to change the odo set too which is another 4 k.

Shall I go for the new the dash of 93 model or shall I paint it? other then this do u have any idea to improve the looks of my dash (like new show pieces etc)
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:30   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Hey,

What series of projectors are these fog lamps and how much did you pay for them. would be interested in a similar set up for my alto.

cheers,
These are hella optilux range of fogs, I don't think these are available in india, I could only source hella de and de xenon among hella projector fog lmaps n india.. I ordered these from USA and was shipped through united states postal service. I paid around 70-80$ including shipping
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:16   #262
BHPian

Quote:
MCHAB, Thanks I enquired with a auto store in Coimbatore famous one and they say 93 model dash will cost Rs. 2200 and 2000 model will cost Rs. 1800. I just thought of fitting the new model and yes the challenge is I have have to change the odo set too which is another 4 k.

Shall I go for the new the dash of 93 model or shall I paint it? other then this do u have any idea to improve the looks of my dash (like new show pieces etc)

First of all let me thank you for finding out the prices,i wanted to find out myself but was too busy to go to the shops that can get you that kind of stuff(too far away and the traffics killer) Have been wanting to change my dash for a while as well, not because of the way it looks but because two of the three mounting points on top have broken and now it rattles a lot. my dash has faded slightly but evenly so the look isnt a problem, but will have to be replaced cuz of the above mentioned problem.

about which one to go for: id go for the design that is correct for my model since i am a sucker for originality, but since i also hav the new model 800 i can tell you that the later model dash is better quality and fades slower, better plastic, etc etc. since its cheaper too thats the dash you should go for but do keep it well this time. use silicone polish once a month and get a custom stitched fabric cover for it to, so that you dont scratch it, i intend to get one made out of denim since i prefer not to use non biodegradable stuff.

the instrument console: have opened both my cars dashes but since it wasnt at the same time and i wasnt looking to compare , i cant really be sure but mostlikely one will fit into the other. the shape exrternally is most probably identical there could be a difference in the mounting points, the places where you screw them in but its unlikely, highly unlikely, but open up your current dash and then buy the one to replace it so that you can check.

Since your dash is not broken not changing it may also be a good idea.
painting it requires special technique and materials which are hard to find in india, if you were here in delhi , i cudve told you where to get it done from but since thats not the case so stay away from it unless you see someone whos got the same thing done in your area and the job is satisfactory, you dont want to be a learning mechanics guinea pig, trust me.

its far easier to find a guy that can cover your dash with vinyl but still ask him to arrange to show you some of his past work(this is very important since these options are rarely exercised by people in india and the skilled guys are only in the metros) Alternatively you could find a skilled tailor and get him to stich you a cover for your dash out of a heavy fabric like denim(so that it doesnt fly off ever time you open the window or take a turn)get him to stich it to the exact shape of the dash withall the contours so that it can just be put on and takn off when it needs washing.(this is the most reversible mod and protects your dash like no other from further damage) Get him to cut out slots for the instrument console, vents , glovebox lid, ashtray and music system and pico it around the edges( i intend to go with this option on all my cars and my 800 too once i replace the dash)

Do keep us informed of what option you finally go with.

addendum: steer clear of the show pieces please, most available in the market will stick on and damage your dash further and wont have the fit and manufacturing finess either, a good shiny polished dash looks better than anything. such mods will make your dash look worse for sure. SO STAY AWAY!

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 2nd August 2010 at 23:19.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:43   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Hey,

cheers,
Thanks bro, could you please send me the url of the website you ordered the lamps from.

cheers
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:15   #264
BHPian

MCHAB, Thanks a lot for the details. As you said I am ready to go with the Denim covering. Will dark blue jean material go with it?

Can you please send me some snap shots of any dash which is done with denim?

I am planning a trip to leh / shimla this year. if i cant find any professional tailor here I will for sure get it done in Delhi with you help. Any idea about the cost? Any idea where I can get used alloy for my 800?
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2010, 19:44   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MCHAB, Thanks a lot for the details. As you said I am ready to go with the Denim covering. Will dark blue jean material go with it?

Can you please send me some snap shots of any dash which is done with denim?

I am planning a trip to leh / shimla this year. if i cant find any professional tailor here I will for sure get it done in Delhi with you help. Any idea about the cost? Any idea where I can get used alloy for my 800?
Vinod as far as your ned for USED ALLOY Wheels for your 800? It is not advisble for used alloy wheels, in the first place it will be difficult to get used 12" sized wheels secondly it may have been abused ones. I was looking for used alloys for my 800 5 speed in mumbai for almost 5 months ,I looked at every shop in chor bazar and CST R oad but could not get them, so went for brand new ones cost for 4 nos. Rs.7500/- from Shalimar Tyres CST Road Kurla. WISE decisioin.The wheels are great, recently replaced all 4 tyres and when they were being balanced all 4 were OK without adding any wts,maybe due to my driving habits,good chinese tyres set ,cost of each radial tubeless tyre 1200/- of TOP W brand It has ISO 9001 compony sticker on them.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:05   #266
BHPian

@vinod: the denim wraparound thing was an idea i had , which i intend to implement in my car. havent seen anycar with it. i might just stich it myself with a lil help from my mom. If you are comming to delhi then might as well get your dash painted.....it will look like its natural colour. ill find out where it can be done. Plus it may just be the cheapest option.

and i agree with iqbal on the alloy issue, its a gamble,you may or may not get a good pair,but more often than not the ones sold as second hand are repaired alloys.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 4th August 2010 at 20:15.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 22:26   #267
BHPian

Mr Veerji, there are 12 inch new alloy wheels available for ever increasing demand for Alto. I am thinking of putting 13 inchers on my 5s with a good brand of chinese tyres, but I could not find them in Mumbai. Wanted to ask you that if they conform to road worthy safety, because I had seen live accident caused to our priest who brought a pre-owned car, drove it without inspection and one of the tyres (chinese) burst at a speed of 75kmph on the fast moving National highway 8 traffic. Luckily he escaped unhurt. I am considering 165/65R13 if I do get it for less. There are many online sellers who escrow chinese brands but I dont know customs formalities.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 23:04   #268
BHPian

Hey My query is I have a Sub a 4channel amp and 6.5" compos on the front door and also i have a 100/90 Philips rally bulbs with Bosch Cut out and wiring And an upgraded battery too
but the problem is the charging rate of my stock alternator does not suffice the requirement when AC headlights and Music system is switched On.My alternator is performing upto is company specified specs.

I was thinking to upgrade my alternator to higher spec one. which one to go for? and what would be the cost involved and is there any alternate solution??
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 09:52   #269
BHPian

Thanks MCHAB and Veerji,

I will go for new alloys.

MCHAB, I will meet you in delhi and get my dashboard painted. Can you let me know how much it might cost for painiting and how long the process takes. I asked few paint shops here at coimbatore and salem, I feel that they are not that much professional.

I also have a another doubt. What is the purpose of this regulator? I have not seen in any 800? Is it a factory fitted one or would the previous owner had altered it for some purpose?

And any other ways to improve my interior?
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti 800 Mod Thread-dsc00022-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_namakkal : 5th August 2010 at 09:55.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:00   #270

Quote:
Thanks MCHAB and Veerji,

I will go for new alloys.

MCHAB, I will meet you in delhi and get my dashboard painted. Can you let me know how much it might cost for painiting and how long the process takes. I asked few paint shops here at coimbatore and salem, I feel that they are not that much professional.

I also have a another doubt. What is the purpose of this regulator? I have not seen in any 800? Is it a factory fitted one or would the previous owner had altered it for some purpose?

And any other ways to improve my interior?
@ Vinod:

That regulator looks like, it is for switching between Hot and Cold Air.
Do check if your Hot/Cold regulator on the dash is working, the previous owner may have changed the positioning for the same.
autexy is offline   Reply With Quote