Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 11th February 2011, 23:47   #391
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti 800 Mod Thread

Maruti 800 has a coin holder at least my car has it its an 05 800.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 12:58   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Maruti 800 has a coin holder at least my car has it its an 05 800.
Jatin i think you mistook the post of Justcause regarding the Maruti 800 having the coin holder. He clearly mentioned that ALTO 800cc doesn't have the coin holder which even the Maruti 800 has.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 10:14   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Guys with M 800 A/C i need some information. My car has the old R12 gas which is not available anymore. I would like to know the procedure and costs involved for converting the aircon system to R134A type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
the right method is to take off the compressor drain the oil, fill r134 oil.....blow air through the system to remove old oil, replace the receiver drier bottle to r134 typr, replace the o rings to r134 compatible ones ,close the system and fill with new gas.....
The air con of my M800 has become less effecting in the last few months. Since the summer season is going to start in Kerala, I took my car to MASS y'day for checking the air con. My car is 2001 model and uses the R12 gas which is banned. The mechanic told me that the problem is with the blower not blowing air properly and the blower and the evaporator unit will have to be cleaned. They'll remove the dash and clean these parts.

In case the air con is still not effective, then they'll have to remove the full air con system and check it for leaks, etc. If they remove the entire system, then they'll have to drain the R12 gas from the drier. The newly filled gas will be R134 and the two air con pipe or hose connecting the condensor, compressor and expansion valve will also have to be replaced. Total cost including parts + gas + labor would come around 5.5K.

New generation M800s have better cooling than R12 system. Even though after conversion, the cooling effect won't be effective as the new gen M800s. If you want better cooling then you'll have to buy a new AC kit. This might come around 24K.

@mycarhasablower, I'm not sure about the O rings. I asked the mechanic to show me the diagram for M800 air con system. He did not have it with him, but showed me the diagram for Swift.

Name:  DSC06947.JPG
Views: 27103
Size:  331.1 KB

Name:  DSC06948.JPG
Views: 13813
Size:  312.4 KB

Name:  DSC06949.JPG
Views: 10748
Size:  326.0 KB

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 10:29   #394
BHPian

Dear All,

After giving my car for service last time, the reverse lamps stopped working. Y'day I took the car back to MASS and it was the fault of a loose connector. I'm attaching a pic of the connector and switch from the gear box. Had I knew this before, I could have done it myself and saved myself the trouble of reversing the car in the dark.

Name:  IMG_6493.JPG
Views: 22882
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6497.JPG
Views: 13362
Size:  55.5 KB

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 20th February 2011, 13:14   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
The air con of my M800 has become less effecting in the last few months. Since the summer season is going to start in Kerala, I took my car to MASS y'day for checking the air con. My car is 2001 model and uses the R12 gas which is banned. The mechanic told me that the problem is with the blower not blowing air properly and the blower and the evaporator unit will have to be cleaned. They'll remove the dash and clean these parts.

Thanks,
Jose.
There is a substitute gas for R12 but I forgot the name of the gas. I got it done at a local AC shop here in TVM for a friend's 5 speed 800.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 18:33   #396
BHPian

Hey guys,

Recently my sisters 2002 4-speed Maruti 800 got handed down to me. Its in pretty bad shape as my sister did not take care of it properly. I always thought it was a carb model but found the manual yesterday and it says MPI. Now the car needs to go for a service ( I have no clue when the car was serviced last and what was done on it). So what are the different things i should be looking at in my next service? The car has run 71800 kilometers. The mileage is dismally low. My estimate would be as low as 12-13 kilometers per liter.

I also want to put a sun film on the car. I went to a nearby accessories shop and he said it would cost Rs 950/- to put a Garware sun film. Should i go ahead with that?
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 18:42   #397
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Hey guys,

Recently my sisters 2002 4-speed Maruti 800 got handed down to me. Its in pretty bad shape as my sister did not take care of it properly. I always thought it was a carb model but found the manual yesterday and it says MPI. Now the car needs to go for a service ( I have no clue when the car was serviced last and what was done on it). So what are the different things i should be looking at in my next service? The car has run 71800 kilometers. The mileage is dismally low. My estimate would be as low as 12-13 kilometers per liter.

I also want to put a sun film on the car. I went to a nearby accessories shop and he said it would cost Rs 950/- to put a Garware sun film. Should i go ahead with that?
Forget the cosmetic part.

Go give your car to a reputed Authorised Service Centre, Thats the best thing you'll be doing to the car as well as yourslef.

Road side mechanics are good only if you know them for a looooooong time.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 18:55   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Forget the cosmetic part.

Go give your car to a reputed Authorised Service Centre, Thats the best thing you'll be doing to the car as well as yourslef.

Road side mechanics are good only if you know them for a looooooong time.
Could u recommend a good place for me to go to? Im from Bangalore too.
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 22:36   #399
BHPian

Hello All,

I gave my car for air con service last week. MASS removed the dash and cleaned the blower and evaporator. There were no leaks in the tube/pipe hence there was no need to convert from R12 to R134. The cooling is definitely much better and blower sound is lesser now .

I have an awe for horns. It's the 3rd set of horns in my car in last 3 years. Started with Root Vibromini. Did not like the sound but they were very reliable. An year later bought Bosch Normaltone horns and moved the Vibromini onto my bike. I liked the Bosch horns very much but after an year, the Bosch horns began to show issues. So again put back the Vibromini on my car. Y'day I bought a new set of Hella Compact horns. These are the ones that come as OEM on ANHC. Sounds good. Cost me 400 bucks.

Name:  IMG_6594.JPG
Views: 10258
Size:  308.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6598.JPG
Views: 10063
Size:  329.5 KB

Regards,
Jose.
Old 27th February 2011, 22:45   #400
BHPian

A Question

Has anyone tried upgrading the alternator of Mpfi 800?
i am planning to do so as the current alternator even though its in perfect shape is not able to charge the battery comfortably at full loads of ICE+AC+HEADLIGHT

any help would be appreciated
Old 4th March 2011, 20:03   #401
BHPian

today i saw an advertisement realated to the rally desert storm in the newspaper and i thought about considering participating in it next year.
I have always wanted to participate in the desert staorm and the raid de himalya. but since i am just a college going guy , therefore the prospect of asking my dad to pay for it and then in return ending up with a trashed car always made me feel guilty. But now that i have enough knowledge and skills to practically fix anything on my car myself therefore the idea is far easier to digest. Whatever damage happens , just get replacement parts from mayapuri(delhis scrap market) for practically no money and slap it on. I have 3 cars at my disposal that i can possibly use to participate, a maruti esteem, a contessa, and a 1988 maruti 800.
All three cars are mechanically perfect , although the contessa is undergoing restoration. Now i cant use the conti for obvious reasons and i dont want to use the esteem because its a reasonably complex car and therefore damages to it will require expensive spares and will be time consuming to fix.

the maruti on the other hand, is sooo simple in its design that no matter what you damage , 5000-10000 rupees is all you need to fix it up again. Any suspnsion and steering realated damage is easily handled though id still like to be careful with my engine and gearbox even though i can fix that too but id rather treat it with care than go through a rebuild.
Did i mention i can repaint my car too and i do have the equipment for the same as well(for painting), although the maruti still has the same 22 year old paintjob that it got from the factory

We all know that you cant be remotely competitive in a maruti 800, but i just want to do it for fun and I believe its a good car to start with.

the problem is this

like i mentioned , my car is mechanically perfect , even the sparkplugs come out brown , so you can guess its condition. But since the way it is geared , the maruti cant do more than 70kmph without its engine revvs getting a little too high.And driving at no more than 70 , ill reach the finish line when every one would have gone home,but driving constantly in excess of 70 will not be good for my healthy lil engine. Therefore i think getting a FIFTH GEAR is a good idea. Just to enable me to cruise at about 90-100 without straining my engine.

Now from what i noticed , the gearbox of the alto and the 5 speed 800 seem identical, the engines seem different externally atleast , maybe few of the ancillaries of the engine are different although the blocks are identical. But the carb 800 and the 5 speed 800's blocks seem decidedly different even though they are basically the same by design.

i need to know if i can install an altos gearbox onto my 800's engine?
I can fabricate mounts, and i can manage the gearlever linkages,
but i need to know if the bellhousing mates with the carb 800's block.
Or if an adaptor plate is needed , where can i get it from?

Can any of the gurus help? Has anyone tried this and if the bellhousing doesnt match then any help regarding where i can get an adaptor plate made will be helpful.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 4th March 2011 at 20:11.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:16   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_square View Post
Just did a bit of mod changed the (type 2) headlights with (type 3) ones with 90/100 osram halogen bulb and solar relay and removed the front bumper guard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_square View Post
1) no the type 3 lights were not direct fit i had to do some cutting & denting jobs from inside.

2) no i haven't used the headlight levelling machine there is a nut behind the lights through which you can compare and level the lights manually (if incase we want to connect it to the levelling machine the nut should be removed & there the motor fits).
Could you tell me what are the modifications that you had to make in order to install the Type 3 HLs? A few pictures would be appreciated

How much do the Type 3 HLs cost?

I assume the bulb holders and beading are the same for Type 2 and 3.

Last edited by silversteed : 10th March 2011 at 11:17.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 22:08   #403
BHPian

The headlight beam levelling motor of my RH headlight is conked off, although many people can do without it.I am FINICKY and i want it to work.

Is there any alternative other than changing the Headlight ? Really dont want to do that as the MGP Headlight with motor is 2.2k per piece!

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th March 2011 at 22:09.
Old 12th April 2011, 00:15   #404
BHPian

Smile Re: The Maruti 800 Mod Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilchakola View Post
Sunil sir could you tell me how much did the leather work cost including the seats and the door panels ?? Is it possible to put leather on the dashboard ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Some pics of my oldie as well
Noidaboy.. i love that gear stick of yours..!! from where can i get a similar stick and for what price ?
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 08:25   #405
Senior - BHPian

^^
those interiors, sir, can put a lot of so called entry level sedans from major stables in india to proper shame!!

PS: Please put the gear gaiter on also.

Last edited by mayankk : 12th April 2011 at 08:26.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote