Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th May 2011, 21:42   #406
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti 800 Mod Thread

Hi,

My 10 year old 5S M800 is nearing 1 lac KMs. These days I notice that the engine power is low, especially when the AC is switched on. Mileage is also low now. Does this mean that the engine is nearing it's life? What tests can be done to check to identify the reasons for the loss of power?

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 21:47   #407
BHPian

do a compression test it will tell you the story for your problem.

and also check your coolant and oil levels and quality.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 13:51   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
do a compression test it will tell you the story for your problem.

and also check your coolant and oil levels and quality.
Thanks Jatin. I've always been topping up coolant level with water once in 2 weeks. Is this the correct frequency?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:18   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Thanks Jatin. I've always been topping up coolant level with water once in 2 weeks. Is this the correct frequency?

Thanks,
Jose.
Nope, you shouldn't be loosing coolant so frequently. If you are loosing some coolant then figure out where its going. Look for whitish residue that indicates a coolant leak.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:17   #410
BHPian

i lakh kms isnt much if your car has been looked after well. My dads 800 has run on gas all its life , has done 1.75 lakhs , runs a sanden a/c and still has enough compression to last another lakh. But yeah, do get a compression test done. A new engine will have 190 psi and below 140 , just dont think twice before getting it overhauled(though the accuracy of results does depend on stuff like rpm of engine during the test and wheather the correct procedure was followed

My point is, it could just be time for your next tuneup, cuz at 1lakh, no engine wears out if its well kept.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:32   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Nope, you shouldn't be loosing coolant so frequently. If you are loosing some coolant then figure out where its going. Look for whitish residue that indicates a coolant leak.
yup.
additionally, even if its just water that you're adding like you said, that shouldnt be happening.
you shouldn't be losing even water.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 00:05   #412
BHPian

@jose

its a problem get your cooling system thoughly checked the interval you have mentioned is very frequent.

In my 800 the level does not fall below the medium level for atleast a year or so.

get your water pump casing and thermostat casing checked for leaks these are the weak areas of 800 cooling system.then get all your hoses and hose clips checked too.
check radiator for leakage also due to age and rust it might have started leaking.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 08:15   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
There is always some white residue near the coolant tank cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
My point is, it could just be time for your next tuneup, cuz at 1lakh, no engine wears out if its well kept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
yup.
additionally, even if its just water that you're adding like you said, that shouldnt be happening.
you shouldn't be losing even water.
Quote:
@jose

its a problem get your cooling system thoughly checked the interval you have mentioned is very frequent.

In my 800 the level does not fall below the medium level for atleast a year or so.

get your water pump casing and thermostat casing checked for leaks these are the weak areas of 800 cooling system.then get all your hoses and hose clips checked too.
check radiator for leakage also due to age and rust it might have started leaking.
Thanks guys. I'll do an engine compression test and find out the reason why the coolant level goes down so often.

Ideally if there is any leakage, would it not be visible on the ground where car is parked?
Old 13th May 2011, 22:05   #414

I have a 2009 Feb M800, I have got suncontrol film done on all the window glasses except the front windshield. However the heat inside the car is unbearable while driving without the a/c. The heat is so miserable (im from Hyderabad) that I get drenched in sweat thoroughly. However with the a/c the story is only slightly better! But my question is should the car get so hot? is it because the body of 800 is thin? No modifications of any sort have been done and the car is in perfect condition with 10,250 KM. I wonder what i should be doing to make the car a bit cooler. Obviously the sun control film which doesnt have any brand name isnt working. Please any advice and suggestions are welcome.

Drive safe.
chanakya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 22:27   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanakya79 View Post
I have a 2009 Feb M800, I have got suncontrol film done on all the window glasses except the front windshield. However the heat inside the car is unbearable while driving without the a/c. The heat is so miserable (im from Hyderabad) that I get drenched in sweat thoroughly. However with the a/c the story is only slightly better! But my question is should the car get so hot? is it because the body of 800 is thin? No modifications of any sort have been done and the car is in perfect condition with 10,250 KM. I wonder what i should be doing to make the car a bit cooler. Obviously the sun control film which doesnt have any brand name isnt working. Please any advice and suggestions are welcome.

Drive safe.

Put a proper and effective sun control film.
800 ac by design cant chill like that of say zen or alto.
Only thing you can do is put better quality sun control films.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:35   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanakya79 View Post

Drive safe.
Dude even i have a 2004 maruti800 and i have faced this problem loads of times. The heat here in mumbai is also killing. All you can do is put good sun control films on all glasses. If you want good cooling then you will have to spend some good money on your sunfilms. you can go for V-kool 95% heat rejection, this is really expensive or you can go for 3m. Most important is your front windshield because maximum heat enters from there and kills the cooling by making the dashboard hot.
msupercool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 22:48   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Put a proper and effective sun control film.
800 ac by design cant chill like that of say zen or alto.
Only thing you can do is put better quality sun control films.
Jatin, you have to make major changes if you want that chilling effect in your type 2 800.
Changes needs are following.
*Change compressor to 5077.
*change pipelines.
*Change bracket for the new compressor.
*Change main engine pulley for large size vee belt.
after these changes you will have the chilling effect as in SS80.s I had done this to my earlier 5 speed 800.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 22:51   #418
BHPian

@iqbal sirji

yes agreed after that you will get chilling effect but for a 4speed 800 its an overkill. after installing the bigger compressor theres no enjoyment left in the vehicle to be driven. It just becomes a slow moving AC cabin which drinks fuel.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:34   #419
BHPian

last month I bought April 2000 model (bought & Registered in April 2001 by first owner) M 800 for my Wifey. It has run 28k kms. It was used by owner's wife with in their colony. I was idle for quite sometime and i closed the deal thinking it would be good buy. It's FE is very bad, gives 10+ with AC on and 11+ without AC. I have got all the oils changed when bought.
Is there anything else i need look at for getting a better FE?
What would an ideal FE for this car?
Jaizcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 18:58   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaizcrzy View Post
last month I bought April 2000 model (bought & Registered in April 2001 by first owner) M 800 for my Wifey. It has run 28k kms. It was used by owner's wife with in their colony. I was idle for quite sometime and i closed the deal thinking it would be good buy. It's FE is very bad, gives 10+ with AC on and 11+ without AC. I have got all the oils changed when bought.
Is there anything else i need look at for getting a better FE?
What would an ideal FE for this car?
the single biggest deciding factor when it comes to fuel economy is the driving style. this is assuming that the car is in perfect shape. So get it serviced(excluding the oil change) my 1988 maruti gives 18+kmpl and sometimes upto 23 in delhis traffic, without a/c ofcourse.Hell my esteem too has averaged abt 18kmpl in the city, without a/c again. You should get 14-15 without the a/c assuming your wife isnt the best of driver provided your car is tuned well.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote