Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th January 2008, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

amit & vittalnrv - The Petes Tuning Box is absolutely reliable and worth the money, it wont cause any problems as i am sure that Peter has extensively tested the product before launching it here.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 22:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
amit & vittalnrv - The Petes Tuning Box is absolutely reliable and worth the money, it wont cause any problems as i am sure that Peter has extensively tested the product before launching it here.
with u Busa he was extensively tested this is for so many months before it was launched.So go ahead fix it and enjoy.Anyway Peter is there .
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 22:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Motive of Toyota?????

Any tuning box might put more strain on an engine. I question Toyota's motives for making such statements as given in the thread's opening post. I suspect ('suspect' does not mean 'believe') that Toyota may be more concerned about honoring its warranty. It would be nice if someone would email Toyota's statement to Pete's web site and then let us know what Pete's says about it.

I ain't gonna do it, Pete's refuses to make me a custom box for my 1931 Shazbhat Whirlaway and I have broken off negotiations with them.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 12:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

what will peter say about it? hes tested his boxes enough. ive had mine for 2 months and not a single problem.

does you 1931 shazbhat whirlway even have an ecu?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 13:14   #20
Awaiting Email Confirmation

pete tests his products thoroughly before launching. for example, he has been testing ECU remaps for the swift that will make the tuning box look tame, i bet he could make a lot of money by rushing into launch it. but he's taking it slow testing it in 3 separate cars. he told me himself to wait for the testing to be complete before thinking of a remap. and its not just a few kilometers he's testing his cars. one of them has run 6000km on the remap and he's still testing it.

BTW, the innova tuning box is the best seller of them all. roughly 140 of them sold since launch. dont you think people would have spoken out if there was a problem? if it was'nt utterly reliable, atleast 1 or 2 would have had problems out of 140.

toyota have'nt mentioned anyone specifically, so its wrong to assume that its pete's box they are talking about.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 14:10   #21
BHPian

Guys we are talking about a 1 year old mail from Toyota (probably when the Pete's Box was still under testing and was not released commercially).

Obviously, Peter (turboindia) takes a lot of time testing his products and those who know him, know that he does not rush into launching a product unless it's absolutely safe.

The number of members here that have Pete's boxes on their Accents, Elantras, Swifts, Innovas etc will vouch for that.

BTW, when was the last time a manufacturer in India endorsed an aftermarket performance upgrade?
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 14:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
BTW, the innova tuning box is the best seller of them all. roughly 140 of them sold since launch. dont you think people would have spoken out if there was a problem? if it was'nt utterly reliable, atleast 1 or 2 would have had problems out of 140.
really? i didnt know it was the best selling one? peter had been testing the box since jan and finally launched it in oct/nov.
Old 14th January 2008, 14:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

hi,

am pretty sure peter/turboindia must have done proper testing before launching it.

infact he was looking our for the timing maps/codes and i remember my friends & i were trying to get it via a high level source in toyota hyd when we first met him in hyd. this being way back in 2005.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

all i know of petted innovas-one guy was right at my tail however i tried to avoid him for about 50 kms even at very high speeds though.me -in a stock verna,guy-in a petted (for sure) innova.it was real fun and the innova was teribly powerfull.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
all i know of petted innovas-one guy was right at my tail however i tried to avoid him for about 50 kms even at very high speeds though.me -in a stock verna,guy-in a petted (for sure) innova.it was real fun and the innova was teribly powerfull.

ram
yes they are. theyre pretty quick to. see my review.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the point is that if you modify the engine in any way (using other than factory approved stuff) then the warranty goes out of the window. In fact in one case (BMW) there is a dispute even though on the face it the mods appear to have nothing to do with the owners woes.

Other than that you are free to put in what you like. Pete's stuff is well tested under Indian conditions and is not a fly by night job. So you should be assured that nothing should go wrong. However, if you are unlucky with a breakdown then it is a case of tough luck - simple as that.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:20   #27
BHPian

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay in this reply

The tuning box for the Innova we have been testing for close to one and a half years before we actually launched it. I guess that would answer all your questions. We have close to 45000 km on one of our test cars and many more on other cars.

And for those of you interested the engine electronics on the cars here and in Europe are very different the reason why we could not even get the OE connectors like we use on all the other tuning boxes. These had to be sourced from Toyota itself after a lot of trouble also adding to the delay in the launch.

BUt today the Innova box is perfect and we would not launch something we are not sure about. PSI took a lot of pains for this one and they went out of the way to help us. Thanks to them for their fantastic support without which this would not be possible,

Rgds,
turboindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 12:34   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota innova owners going for tuning boxes be warned.

It is important that the tuning/testing be done on Indian version vehicles. Even in India, there are 3 -4 variants of the Innova diesel, each having a slightly different ecu.

Unless the device is thoroughly tested in India, it is likely to be detrimental to the vehicle.
sapl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote