Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #61

Default Swift Dzire ZDi, New Battery, Help Needed

Hi

The battery (Co fitted, Exide)for my Swift Dzire Zdi is nearly gone (after abt 25 months), need a replacement. Exide is currently not available in Central Dli.

Need help, need to replace latest by tomorrow.

* Which brand to go for?
* Approx price?
* How much shud i get in exchange for my old battery?
* Is it normal for the battery to last only abt 2 yrs?

Thx
tj112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 16:24   #62
BHPian

Default DZire Exide battery problem

I have the same problem with my DZire Zdi. It's been 26 months since I purchased DZire and the OEM Exide lasted till now.

Battery dealer is offering Amaron 74 battery for 7400 after deducting the old battery.

Is it normal to have the battery die in 2 yrs ?
Is it good to go for Amaron or Exide ?
Is this price good ?
Any recommendation of genuine dealer in Delhi/East Delhi ?
saurabhb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 16:25   #63
BHPian

Which one did you go for ? Any update ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj112 View Post
Hi

The battery (Co fitted, Exide)for my Swift Dzire Zdi is nearly gone (after abt 25 months), need a replacement. Exide is currently not available in Central Dli.

Need help, need to replace latest by tomorrow.

* Which brand to go for?
* Approx price?
* How much shud i get in exchange for my old battery?
* Is it normal for the battery to last only abt 2 yrs?

Thx
Old 30th July 2010, 14:44   #64
BHPian

Going by most recommendations and my own experience with Amaron battery, I bought a DIN74 Amaron Pro with 5 yr guarantee(30+ 30 months). The car cranks up like a breeze now.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:53   #65

Default Re: Which Battery ?

[quote=Raccoon;1949331]Amco! Like I'v mentioned before - they used to be good when the collobaration with Yuasa existed. Now they are about as bad as Exides. My Amcos didn't even last and worse, they belch acid and fumes and ruined the metal surrounding it! Unless you really need a 7 Ah battery (only Amco, Exide, SF make it), there is no reason to even touch them when much better stuff like Base Terminal/Amaron/Bosch is available.

Maybe not all Amcos start leaking, but if/when they do, and ruin your bike, you will share my hatred of them (along with Exide)... [/QUOTE

Going to give Bosch a shot for my Altis. Fingers crossed
kthacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 15:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Bosch should be good... even if you leave your fingers uncrossed.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 09:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Team,

CAR: 2010 SWIFT D

My battery is showing signs of weakness.
The crank time has increased, the horns I feel are sounding a little low.

Here is the current load on the battery.
2 component speakers, 1 JBL amp and 1 sub.
100/90 headlights with relay and stock fog lamps.
Stock dual horns.
RD tuning box.

The stock exide freedom battery is now 2 yrs 3 months old.
I rarely drive in the night, but the car runs on 100 % AC and Ice.

I have checked the threads on the forum, the top two contenders seem to be
Amaron Pro DIN 74 @ 8k after exchange of old battery.
Bosch DIN 74 @ 7.9 k after exchange.

Checked the prices with the local dealers, and the prices have gone up.
Amaron Pro Din 74 @ 9600 after exchange.
Bosch Din 74 @ 10.5 k after exchange.

Please suggest alternatives :-(
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 12:00   #68
BHPian

Time for a battery replacement!

Being out of town, I didn't use my E220 for a week. When I tried to start it today, it wouldn't start. The central locking wouldn't work either, and the dash lights were really dim - dimming further on cranking the engine. No crank sound either. Clearly, the battery's out.

I figured charging might help, but then realized it's been 2.5 years since it was replaced. I was told that's the average lifespan - am I correct?

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to put in. The current battery is an Exide Sealed-for-life maintenance free type, but I don't know the exact spec (Writing this from office; left the car at home). I spoke to a dealer I know, and he said there are two variants for old mercedes - din 66 and din 74. After discounting the old battery, he quoted 7.2k and 8.2k for these respectively (Exide).

My questions are,

1) Will charging help, or do I need a replacement? In other words, is it okay for a battery to die in 2.5 years or less?

2) What spec battery - din 66 or 74 - would go into a '96 E220 W124? Also, are the prices quoted reasonable?
ayushagarwal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Time for a battery replacement!

Being out of town, I didn't use my E220 for a week. When I tried to start it today, it wouldn't start. The central locking wouldn't work either, and the dash lights were really dim - dimming further on cranking the engine. No crank sound either. Clearly, the battery's out.

I figured charging might help, but then realized it's been 2.5 years since it was replaced. I was told that's the average lifespan - am I correct?

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to put in. The current battery is an Exide Sealed-for-life maintenance free type, but I don't know the exact spec (Writing this from office; left the car at home). I spoke to a dealer I know, and he said there are two variants for old mercedes - din 66 and din 74. After discounting the old battery, he quoted 7.2k and 8.2k for these respectively (Exide).

My questions are,

1) Will charging help, or do I need a replacement? In other words, is it okay for a battery to die in 2.5 years or less?

2) What spec battery - din 66 or 74 - would go into a '96 E220 W124? Also, are the prices quoted reasonable?
I absolutely don't agree with the fact that battery is dead in 2.5 years. I would suggest you to get it charged. Chances are high that you will get more life out of it.
My old Zen's battery is still going strong after 4 years (it may go dead in near future though).
Even if it is dead, you are just loosing 150 Rs. (charges for battery charging).
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:42   #70
Senior - BHPian

I suggest, you get a battery charger. Drip charge your battery for 2 or 3 days at 2 AH and then revert to the forum. Get a 6 Amp battery charger and hook up your battery to the charger whenever it isn't in use for long periods. 2.5 years is just the half-life of a normal battery.
lurker is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:13   #71
BHPian

Thanks Nicky and Lurker. I will try charging it, but I've been told a battery lasts only about a couple of years in most Mercedes cars. I bought mine only 7-8 months back, and this is still new for me In comparison, the batteries on most of our other cars (Civic, SX4 etc) have needed replacement at 4 years on average.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:35   #72
BHPian

Following up with my last question, does anyone know the exact spec of the battery for my w124 E220 (1996)? I spoke to my dealer who said it should be DIN 74 (and so did another bhpian on the w124 support thread), but on UK forums I see DIN88/100 as the recommended size. I'm going to go take a look once I'm back home, but I really wanted to order the battery today and get it replaced before I get home tonight so I can use the car
Old 12th June 2012, 08:11   #73
BHPian

Car: 2007 model chevy spark
Battery: stock
ICE: Stock HU + 2front comps+2 rear coax.
AC usage: 50%
ICE usgae: 80%

Last month, i took the car out for some work, on the way back I had to make a stop few km's before my place. Ignition key in total OFF mode with just parking lights ON. When I came back, the car won't start. I could feel that the crank was not going the complete cycle. Power windows rolled down sluggishly which was my clue. Got hold of a battery repair guy who jumpstarted the car and took the car at his shop. On inspection it was found that there was no acid / distilled water. With acid refilled, jump started the car again and took a spin for few km's so that the battery would charge. Until yesterday, no problems at all.

Yesterday: while coming back, had to wait near commercial street, total ignition off with parking lights ON for like 10mins, the car won't crank up - similarly to what happened last month. Local mech jump started it, acid was all ok.

Now, should I do? Replace the battery or what?
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 08:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Car: 2007 model chevy spark
Battery: stock
ICE: Stock HU + 2front comps+2 rear coax.
AC usage: 50%
ICE usgae: 80%

Last month, i took the car out for some work, on the way back I had to make a stop few km's before my place. Ignition key in total OFF mode with just parking lights ON. When I came back, the car won't start. I could feel that the crank was not going the complete cycle. Power windows rolled down sluggishly which was my clue. Got hold of a battery repair guy who jumpstarted the car and took the car at his shop. On inspection it was found that there was no acid / distilled water. With acid refilled, jump started the car again and took a spin for few km's so that the battery would charge. Until yesterday, no problems at all.

Yesterday: while coming back, had to wait near commercial street, total ignition off with parking lights ON for like 10mins, the car won't crank up - similarly to what happened last month. Local mech jump started it, acid was all ok.

Now, should I do? Replace the battery or what?
Saar, why are you leaving the parking lights on; it is easiest way to drain your already weak battery.

5 Yrs is up, time to replace the battery.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 10:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

My stock 4 yr old battery is dying. The dealer tells me both Amaron and Exide now come with a 5 yr warranty... meaning company replacement if it dies before that. Pretty surprising this. Quote is Rs 6000 for a Fiesta Exide, maintenance free
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote