Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 11th July 2012, 14:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Battery ?

Folks from pune: Which dealers stock Amaron batteries in pune? Or should I just contact toll-free number for a new battery?
Location of Amaron Pitstop centers in pune is far-off from my home.
sukiwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 15:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

My 4 years old Amron (supplied as OEM) in Swift started giving trouble from last week. It would not crank after, say a engine off for 10 or so minutes but gave no problems after a few hours of parking. I found it strange as i thought that the battery will not get discharge just after engine switch off.

Anyways i got it checked and it was giving 8.5V during cranking. Got it changed around half an hour ago with Amron Flo 24+24 months guarantee @ 3150/-(including old battery exchange) delivered at doorsteps.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 01:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Folks from pune: Which dealers stock Amaron batteries in pune? Or should I just contact toll-free number for a new battery?
Location of Amaron Pitstop centers in pune is far-off from my home.
Like sourabhzen, I too had them home deliver it. I'm sure they will do in your city too. So just call their toll-free no. and ask for phone nos. of dealers in your city. Actually, they should be contacting the dealers themselves, but the level of service on Amaron helpline has been poor in my experience. You could also refer to yellow pages like Justdial.

You should be able to get batts of other brands the same way. So the availability factor cannot be a reason to settle for a crappy Exide.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th July 2012 at 01:38.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 18:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
This theory about battery ...
taxing your already weak battery with the parking lights. Also jump-starting and expecting the car to fully charge the battery is not the way to go, except perhaps in an emergency. You should bench charge the battery properly. Now that its done, its most likely that you battery needs replacement... but you could still fully bench-charge it and test to see if you can get a bit more life out of it.
Why do you say that its not good to jump start a battery and then charge it by driving the car? I have done this two three times. My battery Exide MF50Z lasted 3 year 7 months in my Indica Vista TDI (Indigo Engine). Do you think this life is less for a Diesel car? Battery dealers always say that for Diesel cars the battery life is near 3 years and for Petrol it can go upto 5 years. How true is this statement?
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:10   #95
Senior - BHPian

^^^The issue is less about your battery getting damaged than your car's charging system. Basically, the charging system is designed to keep the battery charge topped up and not for recharging a deep discharged battery. Doing so can really tax the charging circuit, and it may not show immediately but it is likely to reduce its life.

As for battery life and other things, do you think you'll ever get any worthwhile info form dealers and the like? Fact is that you can't really put a figure on it. Dealers have some kind of conspiracy to make you believe that batteries cannot last over 3 years, even for petrol cars and 2 wheelers. Nonesense. You can't put a figure on it because different bands are of different quality and operate and very varying conditions. If those conditions are favorable and quality is good, it can last well beyond 5 years. Some tbhpians have also mentioned that they have had batteries going beyond 5 years.

Here is one more trick your dealer may have played - he said your Diesel cars battery will last only 3 years because he knows you have a diesel car.. and it looks convincing when he says it that way. To a petrol car owner he very well be saying it can last only 3 years (like most other dealers). That said, Diesel car batteris are known to last less, so it sounds even more plausible.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 22:15   #96
BHPian

Never ever go for "cHAMPION" brand from Federal Mogul, I bought it for my bike bajaj CT 100, as it is well known brand in US and an MNC, but the terminal wire came off within 6 months, I bought on may 2012, butthe contact inside the battery got loose and within 6 months, and its dead, full of salt formation in the contacts, and acid leakage around the side cover, the over flow tube fell off. it was mess inside the battery cabinet, as like i am using an local brand battery.

But i have used local brand battery for almost 1.5 yrs. I did not expect champion to lose its life so soon. But i agree, it might be manufacturing defect, and we should not blindly scream on company.

Then came the shocker, i emailed to their email id, which was in their warranty card. customercare.india@federalmogul.com , 5 days back, still no response, or not even an courtesy acknowledgment, that may sooth our mind.

I took it to the automobile spare parts shop, aditya auto stores P ltd, there they took it and gave to the champion dealer i suppose, and asked me to come in saturday. (tomorrow). hope they will honour the warranty. but i am very much disappointed with the Federal mogul head office in New Delhi, where the email had been received.

Whatever the brand, or an US company, please stay away from company which has no place for customer, once the battery have been sold.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 21:44   #97
BHPian

update:

I got the replacement New battery, which shows 12.5v in the volt meter, and i am happy with the local dealer from whom i bought the battery, and the local champion battery distributor, who replaced it within 2 days.

But i am not happy with Federal Mogul customer care from head office, till now no reply. Hope this replacement works good.

I incurred Additional cost of Rs.20 as Fees for charging the battery from the shop where i bought,But i did not mind to get deep in to that, since the transaction was smooth, with no questions asked.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 8th December 2012 at 21:45. Reason: To include Additional cost i incurred
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:42   #98
BHPian

again this battery is dead, the battery i got as replacement in warranty. it is exactly 12 months , its dead, worst battery, champion brand
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:34   #99
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend,

The battery in his Mercedes C200 CGI (Petrol), AGM, just conked off after 3.5 years and he is wondering which battery he should get.

He is also looking at a particular brand, Varta, though not restricted to it.

I'm not of much help as I do not know about car batteries nor do I know their cost.

Please advise

Thanks
mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 17:07   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced my car's 4.5 year old battery with Exide Matrix. Battery price Rs. 5280/- , Discount Rs. 500/-. Old battery refund- Rs. 500/-. Paid 4200/- bucks for a battery which promises a 5 year warranty with first 2.5 years in for complete replacement.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote