Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd August 2007, 11:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo
I havent met a single palio owner who has installed an LCD screen in the car.
Neither have I .
Yes the dash looks like a bit of a challenge, but i recon it can be done.
The simplest way is to look out for/make a mount like this :

image flipped horizontally since we have RHD here, source - http://www.cartft.com/catalog/item/?wm_item_id=183

I'm looking out for some Palio dash pics to see what can be done, will post back in a while.
shldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:20   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the pic and the link. Though it is a good install but I dont want to keep the screen on the top of the dash. I wish something (possibly some jugad) can be done to get the screen around the area where the Head unit is.
I could have made some sacrifice and put my HU in the dash or some other place and would gone for an indash retractable screen . But the problem is that even the retractable screen wont help as the stupid curvature of the dash on the top of the HU is inside the car. Moreover this curvature is also keeps increasing from the centre to the instrument cluster which will disable the screen to align straight and face the gear lever.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:04   #18
BHPian

How bout something like this :

Yes its a quick photoshop job ( thanks sherv) and is not to scale, but should give you a fairly good idea.

The part with the vents is shifted up and the HVAC controls are lowered ( above the cig lighter & tray) to make room for the LCD.
Stock LCD pic used here, but you can lose the buttons and get it flush like mine.

You can also make use of the cubby hole above the glovebox, maybe shift the HU or HVAC controls there if required.
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:35   #19
BHPian

That looked nice. Now the question is that can i isolate the are under the ac vents and create come space for the LCD. Moreover I want to know whether the fanspeed control and the thermostat knobs are stand alone? What i mean is if I isolate the are where the knobs are to make room for my LCD can I simple shift the while are with the knobs to some place else or not?

Here are a few actual pics of the dash:

Old 23rd August 2007, 10:18   #20
BHPian

Normally the thermostat control and vent position are cable driven while the rest are controlled by switching.
All these would be mounted on one panel and i recon you should have just enough play/slack to move it below. You will have a wire harness and maybe a couple of cables coming out of your panel on the inside.
The AC ducting will have to be redirected if you are moving the vents.

You will need to pop out the center console to actually see whats what. The suggestion in the previous post was only on the basis of the dashboard pic and approx dimensions.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:42   #21
BHPian

I will go to the workshop and get the center console opened really soon and try to see what lies beneath. Thanks a lot for the information.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:59   #22
BHPian

This is the way that i have had a 2 din kenwood dpx701 HU put in my zen. The install is pretty decent IMHO.

vidurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 13:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Its indeed very expensive Ankur .....more than $400 . I came across a few deals on ebay australia. there is an 8" TFT touch screen (just with a stand) with VGA input for 190 AU$ + 30 AU$ shipping (turns out to be close to INR 8,200) . I was wondering whether an 8" TFT would be too big and would I be able to fabricate some kind of folding stand or an extended dash for it in my car
Hope u dont mind me saying.. But ur "cockpit" is already cluttered with too many things !!

Also, wont the customs guys create problem if you try to ship the screen of ebay Australia?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:33   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
How bout something like this :

Yes its a quick photoshop job ( thanks sherv) and is not to scale, but should give you a fairly good idea.

The part with the vents is shifted up and the HVAC controls are lowered ( above the cig lighter & tray) to make room for the LCD.
Stock LCD pic used here, but you can lose the buttons and get it flush like mine.

You can also make use of the cubby hole above the glovebox, maybe shift the HU or HVAC controls there if required.
That looks neat. Another option would be to put the central section of some other car with a Double Din slot in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidurm View Post
This is the way that i have had a 2 din kenwood dpx701 HU put in my zen. The install is pretty decent IMHO.

Bad option. The screen will be too low.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote