Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th April 2007, 13:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
dude ur signature says redlining at 3500 RPM, what do you drive ?
an aircraft carrier ?
seriously, just curious how come u redlining so low? Is your ECU running in "limp home" mode or something ? MIL on or something ?
I wish it was an "AIRCRAFT CARRIER", alas it's a modest Lancer 1.5 . I am redlining at 3500 RPM as I have set my tacho light to turn RED @ 3500, so I may run in my engine in a sane fashion. I intend to up the redlight setting as & when my engine is sufficiently run in. Hope that answers your querry Mr. Handa Hope Vid's post also helped you on the 3500 RPM querry......

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 28th April 2007 at 13:21.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 13:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
chetan, he's just had his entire engine rebuilt and overhauled so he's taking it easy and running-in all his new parts. more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post406780 (Newly Modded Lancer)

ps:he's not online so thought i'll post.

Thanks for chipping in Vid6639 !!! Appreciate the gesture

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 28th April 2007 at 13:13.
Old 28th April 2007, 13:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

@ Elf - still waiting for the pics.

Could you also measure the gear shaft from base to knob and let us know. Even i'm contemplating shortening the gear-shaft vs. going in for a proper short-shifter on my OHC, depending on the cost.

Your inputs would help
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 15:59   #49
elf
BANNED

Here are the pics...

Short enough for you? Am looking for a good gear knob in dark grey / black real leather - the cylinder type one, not a ball or anything else. Anybody know where to get one? Been searching for ages, & apparently, they're not easily available for the Lancer's shaft thickness.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 16:17   #50
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
... Even i'm contemplating shortening the gear-shaft vs. going in for a proper short-shifter on my OHC, depending on the cost.

Your inputs would help
Oh man! Now I know how Jesus Christ felt. First the invectives & ridicule, & then, mass following!
"Let he without shins blast the first stoner"...

OK, enough Sunday School.

I've mentioned it in my earlier posts - if you are going to shorten the shaft yourself, you can either do it by :
1. Chopping off the top & then retapping the shaft to fit your gear knob (as I'd done in my M1000/Esteem); OR
2. Chopping off a mid-section of the shaft to maintain the original shaft tapping (as I've done in my current Lancer).

If going in for option 2, make sure you have all the bits of the shaft arc welded to one another, & try to ensure a clean even seam. This is for strength.

Else, as mentioned before, you'll be holding your shaft in your hand & simply making idle hand movements mid-air.
Old 28th April 2007, 18:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Short enough for you?
Hey elfy, that's REALLY short.

Upon closer inspection today, I realized that when I am driving in relaxed mode, a lot of times I find my left wrist resting on the gear-knob and my fingers (also left hand) playing with the stereo controls - the relative location of the OHC Gear-knob and Stereo controls are very ergonomically compatible in that respect.

Therefore, with respect to the stereo and otherwise also, isn't the shortened gear-shaft a pain kabhi kabhi, or is it fine once you get the hang of it? What say Elf - since you're actually using this setup for a while now.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 18:55   #52
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Hey elfy, that's REALLY short. ...
Yes, but mine was huuuge earlier. Long & thick. Now it's shorter, seems thicker & provides more pleasure.

Quote:
... Upon closer inspection today, I realized that when I am driving in relaxed mode, a lot of times I find my left wrist resting on the gear-knob and my fingers (also left hand) playing with the stereo controls - the relative location of the OHC Gear-knob and Stereo controls are very ergonomically compatible in that respect. ...
My stereo controls are right where I want them. The Lancer has a double-DIN sized slot & my single DIN stereo is mounted in the upper slot. The Alpine volume controls are perfect now. With the long shaft, I actually had to snake my hand around the lever.

Besides which, I concentrate on driving & not fiddling with silly buttons.

Quote:
... isn't the shortened gear-shaft a pain kabhi kabhi, or is it fine once you get the hang of it? What say Elf - since you're actually using this setup for a while now.
When I got the Lancer for the first time, my gasted was flabbered by this huge thing poking out from the transmission tunnel - more so because Mitsubishi kept blathering on about their rally pedigree. This darned thing looked like something out of my granny's ride.

Never a pain now. I suggest most go & get it done for the reasons mentioned earlier. It's really great.

Last edited by elf : 28th April 2007 at 18:57.
Old 28th April 2007, 19:20   #53
BHPian

@elf-
Let aside the fact that you don't fiddle with stereo cotrols while driving. I was wondering if you can still reach the gear lever as easily as before? Though the fact that you may have gotten used to it is a different thing all together.
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 19:44   #54
elf
BANNED

Nope Fuelled - no problem whatsoever. One can drive relaxed much better, as the elbow now rests on the central console / arm rest & the lever falls easily to hand. This procedure rectifies one of the Lancer's glaring ergonomic defects.
Old 28th April 2007, 20:18   #55
BHPian

Then thats a good "jugad" you came up with.
I mean a shortened hand movement = Indianized short shifter

Anyways I doubt this same trick could be applied to an OHC. Since the gear lever is already very small + the "too-tall" arm rest tends to foul with the elbows while shifting. What do you think?

Last edited by Fuelled : 28th April 2007 at 20:20.
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 21:16   #56
Team-BHP Support

Yup what elf says is spot on. The lancers stick was really really long. Everytime I used to drive another I would end up finding no gear so high up and sometimes had to look down to actually see how low the gear is.

I'll try taking a pic of mine tomorrow to show the stock stick is. Elf can you post a side on pic to depict the length rather than from top. I'll do the same and we can actually see the difference between the 2 shafts.

ps: am very surprised Sam hasnt come buy with all this talk about shaft, stick, round ball gear knob, and holding your shaft and making idle movements.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 23:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

elf,

Looks nice man. Do you want to consider a chrome metallic short stalk (no leather covering) with a matte-aluminium gear-knob resembing in shape the stock one you have currently ? The only other thing you'll need to do then is to have a custom (mock carbon-fibre?) plate to cover the gaping area from the bottom of the shaft downwards - since there wont be any leather covering around the shaft. Should look very slick.

Last edited by theMAG : 28th April 2007 at 23:54.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 11:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

ps: am very surprised Sam hasnt come buy with all this talk about shaft, stick, round ball gear knob, and holding your shaft and making idle movements.[/quote]

O.T. Maybe Sam is thinking hard on the theme of "PIMP 3" What say Sam ??
Old 29th April 2007, 14:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I wish it was an "AIRCRAFT CARRIER", alas it's a modest Lancer 1.5 . I am redlining at 3500 RPM as I have set my tacho light to turn RED @ 3500, so I may run in my engine in a sane fashion. I intend to up the redlight setting as & when my engine is sufficiently run in. Hope that answers your querry Mr. Handa Hope Vid's post also helped you on the 3500 RPM querry......

Cheers
.. thats nice. best of luck with the running in.. BTW are you using mineral/synthetic ?
(3500 rpm hmmm .. I think there is another theory also for running in engines exactly opposite of what you are following, its a bit crazy...)

Last edited by chetanhanda : 29th April 2007 at 15:02.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 14:57   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
chetan, he's just had his entire engine rebuilt and overhauled so he's taking it easy and running-in all his new parts. more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post406780 (Newly Modded Lancer)

ps:he's not online so thought i'll post.
thanks ... thats cool...
I saw the list , what was on that list which is making our friend do a proper running in for his Lancer ? is there something which I have missed out or something not listed there ?
(Im not being sarcastic/rude, just curious)...
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote