Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th May 2007, 19:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Just upgraded from Phillips 55/60 W to HELLA 90/100 W all - weather halogens........as the light from the headlights was not good enough. Hope this puts an end to my lighting problems.....Installed with new wiring, holders & relay.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 21:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Kitna laga? Break it down if you can...
And do give a feedback on the lighting improvement.

And will you be updating your gallery with the stock headlamp pics?

Last edited by razor4077 : 17th May 2007 at 21:26.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 21:51   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Just upgraded from Phillips 55/60 W to HELLA 90/100 W all - weather halogens........as the light from the headlights was not good enough. Hope this puts an end to my lighting problems.....Installed with new wiring, holders & relay.

Cheers
Still using the angel eyes kit?
harmon_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 21:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

I think he went back to the originals... angel eyes weren't good enough.
Sorry Ricky... answering on your behalf
Old 17th May 2007, 22:01   #95
BHPian

ricky-all weather bulb??? do u drive in places where there's lot of mist and fog? if not its better to use, normal 90/100 halogen bulbs, cause the all weather ones' would give an yellow tint which is very disturbing to the on coming vehicle drivers.
desigNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 03:14   #96
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Just upgraded from Phillips 55/60 W to HELLA 90/100 W all - weather halogens........as the light from the headlights was not good enough. Hope this puts an end to my lighting problems.....Installed with new wiring, holders & relay ...
You bet it's put an end to your lighting problems dude. Got the same setup in mine with Osrams, & they light up the street like floodlights. I've got the stock headlamps though.

They're now so bright that I've got to use my bumper installed auxillary driving lamps for normal city driving.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 13:49   #97
Senior - BHPian

Would it be a good idea to upgrade the bulbs to the new Philips/Osram variety that promises 50% more brightness (!!) with the stock wattage?
The Car Lighting thread has some posts about this...
Assume that you have a good pair of fog lights (Hella, for example) along with this setup.
Old 20th May 2007, 11:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Kitna laga? Break it down if you can...
And do give a feedback on the lighting improvement.

And will you be updating your gallery with the stock headlamp pics?

Lighting improvement is huge........I think it was a good decision to go back to stock lights, though it's not great in the looks department vs the angel eyes setup I had. But did not wish to endanger road users & myself just to look good. The 55/60 W were not good enough, the 90/100W have been a great improvement. also re-focussing the beam has helped tremendously.

As for the cost the exact number I do not have - as I have still to pay for them (it was on a trial basis). The halogens cost about 1k & the wiring / relay / holders I reckon would be within 1k.

Gallery update.........not yet !!!!!

Cheers
Old 20th May 2007, 11:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
ricky-all weather bulb??? do u drive in places where there's lot of mist and fog? if not its better to use, normal 90/100 halogen bulbs, cause the all weather ones' would give an yellow tint which is very disturbing to the on coming vehicle drivers.

Hi

That is a valid point - BUT that is the first thing I took care of. The focus on my lights is such that the oncoming traffic WILL NOT get dazzled at all - unless I flash the high beam. I feel irrespective of the colour of the light - any high beam or ill focussed light will hassle the oncoming traffic, and is a dangerous practise.

I actually had put 1 white light & 1 all weather halogen to ascertain the difference. I found that the Yellowish tinge gave better illumination & visibility.

Cheers
Old 20th May 2007, 11:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Would it be a good idea to upgrade the bulbs to the new Philips/Osram variety that promises 50% more brightness (!!) with the stock wattage?
The Car Lighting thread has some posts about this...
Assume that you have a good pair of fog lights (Hella, for example) along with this setup.

@Razor

I suggest the you ask him to put the extra brightness halogen on one side & retain the stock on the other, see for yourself. If it works for you great if it does not then think RE-FOCUS, if that does not work, the go with 90/100 W

As for Fog Lamps, I do not have any right now. I wanted to fit good quality lighting like Hella Rallye, but the fitment on the Lancer is not easy. I wanted to have a custom bumper to fix the lights in but Arush was not to keen on that. So I am with 90/100 W all weather lights & H A P P Y about it.....for now
Old 20th May 2007, 11:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
You bet it's put an end to your lighting problems dude. Got the same setup in mine with Osrams, & they light up the street like floodlights. I've got the stock headlamps though.

They're now so bright that I've got to use my bumper installed auxillary driving lamps for normal city driving.

Hey

What auxillary lamps do you have, from the pictures in your gallery they look smallish. Do they give you enough illumination for driving on poorly lit roads ?? You have obviously cut the bumper to fit them - they look neat. I guess Bombay has better street lighting than Sadi Dilli / Gurgaon,

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 20th May 2007 at 11:37.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:17   #102
elf
BANNED

The auxillary driving lamps installed in my cut bumper have been focussed in the following way:
1. The right one on the divider, so I can look for any badly placed divider blocks.
2. The left one towards idiot pedestrians, brainless cyclists & non-lit-up putt-puttee-wallahs so I don't run them over.

Bombay has semi-decent lighting, at least on the roads I use. That means that you have enough light to not be able to sleep whilst driving, but not so dark that you can make out whilst doing so. Seeing what's on the road is a moot point. There's always something there.

As far as lighting in these mofussil towns is concerned, you said it all. Gurgaon.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 22:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
The auxillary driving lamps installed in my cut bumper have been focussed in the following way:
1. The right one on the divider, so I can look for any badly placed divider blocks.
2. The left one towards idiot pedestrians, brainless cyclists & non-lit-up putt-puttee-wallahs so I don't run them over.

Bombay has semi-decent lighting, at least on the roads I use. That means that you have enough light to not be able to sleep whilst driving, but not so dark that you can make out whilst doing so. Seeing what's on the road is a moot point. There's always something there.

As far as lighting in these mofussil towns is concerned, you said it all. Gurgaon.

Which lights Sire ? As in brand. As for Gurgaon - you said it New Gurgaon which is this side of NH8 is OK, as compared to the Old Gurgaon. The NH8 freeway though R O C K S - the one road where you can actually do 160 kmph & not worry about hitting potholes- but watch the radar guns !!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st May 2007 at 22:23.
Old 22nd May 2007, 00:03   #104
BHPian

try gettin 4300K hid bulbs, the light is yellow , so you don't get the cool blue hid look but the light is so bright and usable,the output is around 3200 lumen as compared to a measly 1000lumen of a normal halogen bulb, you'll never regret my advice, I hate those blue lights- they are pretty much useless on the road
harsh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
try gettin 4300K hid bulbs, the light is yellow , so you don't get the cool blue hid look but the light is so bright and usable,the output is around 3200 lumen as compared to a measly 1000lumen of a normal halogen bulb, you'll never regret my advice, I hate those blue lights- they are pretty much useless on the road
@harsh
Thanks for the advice Harsh. I think presently the 90/100 W are doing just fine. I have finally got the kind of light I needed. But the lumen differential you have quoted is huge between the HID & Halogen, is the comparison between a 35W HID & 90/100 W halogen or 55/60W halogen ? Also I have heard that the spread from an HID is not as great as from the stock halogens - is that true ?

Cheers