Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd May 2007, 14:21   #1
BANNED

Default changing ac in zen possible.??

guys i found that the ac in alto is very powerful then compaired to the zens ac (not the estilo) is it possible to swap altos as in to zen. did any one tryed this
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:56   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
guys i found that the ac in alto is very powerful then compaired to the zens ac (not the estilo) is it possible to swap altos as in to zen. did any one tryed this
it is possible but will be very expensive and require a lot of modications.the compressor,condensor,receiver,the pipes,thermostat would have to be changed.
a better alternative would be to buy an aftermarket heavy duty fan for the condensor and replace the existing one.the cooling would increase.
dont know too much about this in detail but one of my neighbours did this on his santro zipdrive 1L.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

I would also like to try out something similiar as my esteem's a.c is not that much effective as comapred to my dad's alto. dont know if its the age of my esteem which is nearly 6yrs old, but still in good condtion.

any suggestions ?

Thanks n Regards
P4C
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:28   #4
BHPian

I guess the main difference is because of the cooling coil. My mechanic told me that Alto and WagonR have different cooling coil then Zen. By different he meant bigger cooling coil. Find out if it is possible to fit one in Zen?
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please have your AC checked thoroughly, there is no reason why the 800 cc alto's AC should be more powerful than the 1 Ltr Zen's.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Please have your AC checked thoroughly, there is no reason why the 800 cc alto's AC should be more powerful than the 1 Ltr Zen's.
No its a fact n i've also experienced the same.....Alto's AC is better than Zen's...But alto becomes dead slow with AC on....

why are u comparing engine cc ?? To my knowledge the cooling effect depends on the size of condenser n volume of the compressor....

N i think(not sure) in this case Zen has 90cc compressor n Alto has 110cc compressor...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

More power, higher capacity AC installed. I presumed that zen with a 1 litre engine would have been provided with a better AC than the Alto. Like there is a huge difference between the AC in a M-1000 & a M-Esteem.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 15:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

yup its the ac compressor size that decides the cooling and bigger compressor will have bigger or better everything else along with it

and yes bigger engine will have bigger compressor coz of reserve engine power that can be tapped, though a newer generation smaller compressor can be equally efficient.

mix and match is possible though an expensive and laborious process, easier thing to do is to find a good/competent ac mech and do a complete overhaul of existing system.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 15:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

kpzen is spot on for the compressor sizes in both the car's. the zen has a 90cc compressor whereas the alto has i think a 117cc compressor.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC the bigger compressor in Alto is due to its 1.1 liter sibling & for costs reasons they kept compressor same in the 800 & the 1.1.

p.s even I have noticed that Alto's ac is beter than Zen's
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:20   #11
BHPian

Looks like heat waves are hitting everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
I would also like to try out something similiar as my esteem's a.c is not that much effective as comapred to my dad's alto. dont know if its the age of my esteem which is nearly 6yrs old, but still in good condtion.
First, check the refrigerant level with the help of a mechanic. That is probably the first culprit for a slow cooling a/c. If that is low, then you know what to do
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 06:38   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well the esteems ac is pretty good but the its ineffecive due to the positioning of the ac vents.
like i mentioned before you can opt for an aftermarket cooling fan for the condensor.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 10:20   #13
BANNED

how much will be the cost of the condencer fan...can it be fitted to zen and what is the model of the fan
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Hey i have a zen but its ac is very powerful and cools quietly but becomes very chill in the front seats atleast.

i got my ac serviced abt 1.5yrs back ..still now workin well

1.cooling coil will be full of dust and leaves, hav to clean all the fins with compressed air.

2.keep the left door carpet area clean as that is the place where the ac sucks the inside hot air out.that dust may get accumulated i long term.

3.try to keep the front bonnet upper area covered with a cloth when parked below trees.

4.when my cooling coil was opened it was blocked full of dust and leafs so was blocking to take the hot air out from inside.

5.service costs around 2000 with topping up with gas.

6.Or if u are so particular in changing the ac i recommend change the cooling coil and condenser which will cost 10000.

7.changing to altos ac will only hinder pick up if ur zen is 50 bhp.
krish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:54   #15
BHPian

Question Any Updates..?

Quote:
Reviving a real old thread....Thanks to all the Zen owners for adding info.

This thread didnt reach a solution phase.

zenopio,
can you please post what finally solved Zen AC issue you had? Also its been 2 yrs now, did you face any issue after that? How was it solved?

Everyone,
Also i have heard abt R12 gas issue with Zens. Anyone, please throw some light on things you did to fix Zen AC cooling issues.

Thanks.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote