Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd February 2009, 23:47   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
While on the topic, has anybody installed a typhoon intake kit on OHC? The custom intake piping made of SS gets very hot, very soon. Damodhar at Oz One (Bangalore) told me that, there's no Typhoon intake for OHCs.
I think the Typhoon is made for the Honda Civic, not the OHC. You can get a different conical along with the requisite plumbing though.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 22:08   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I think the Typhoon is made for the Honda Civic, not the OHC. You can get a different conical along with the requisite plumbing though.
I was under the impression that Typhoon is the brand name of the plumbing (aka air intake piping?). It's the plumbing which is getting hot. I have seen a few pipes on tbhp wrapped in heat shielding wrap. Is there anything else, I can do?
agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 02:04   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
While on the topic, has anybody installed a typhoon intake kit on OHC? The custom intake piping made of SS gets very hot, very soon. Damodhar at Oz One (Bangalore) told me that, there's no Typhoon intake for OHCs.
KSM-Vtec has installed the typhoon in his OHC VTEC. Says it makes him deaf. PM him
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 23:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
KSM-Vtec has installed the typhoon in his OHC VTEC. Says it makes him deaf. PM him
Thank you, Tejas! I shall contact KSM-Vtec.
agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:36   #125
BHPian

Is there actually a problem with the K&N filters that they let in dirt as well ? Is it the same case with the typhoon too.. ? I have a stock OHC right now that i'm looking to mod - but i don't wanna end up killing it while hoping for more.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:19   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Is there actually a problem with the K&N filters that they let in dirt as well ? Is it the same case with the typhoon too.. ? I have a stock OHC right now that i'm looking to mod - but i don't wanna end up killing it while hoping for more.
No the K&N will not let in dirt when compared to your regular stock filter.
Old 4th March 2009, 10:30   #127

Quote:

You might want to check out the K&N Apollo CIS (pic pasted below). It has an enclosed conical filter which (supposedly) safeguards against (excessive) dirt. Its also supposed to protect the filter during the rains against water from the road splashing on to the filter.

I just had it fixed, onto my OHC, less than a week ago.... so, can't really comment on how well it works against dirt and water splashing, just yet. However, I can tell you this.... the engine is much more free revving now.
Attached Thumbnails
REPORT with PICS: Refurbishing my OHC Vtec. And some mild performance mods!-dsc00835.jpg  

REPORT with PICS: Refurbishing my OHC Vtec. And some mild performance mods!-dsc00839.jpg  

Attached Images

vijays15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 23:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijays15 View Post
You might want to check out the K&N Apollo CIS (pic pasted below). It has an enclosed conical filter which (supposedly) safeguards against (excessive) dirt. Its also supposed to protect the filter during the rains against water from the road splashing on to the filter.

I just had it fixed, onto my OHC, less than a week ago.... so, can't really comment on how well it works against dirt and water splashing, just yet. However, I can tell you this.... the engine is much more free revving now.
How much did it cost you ? Another thing, are 16" tires feasible on a stock OHC 1.5Exi ? Or would i have to widen my car ..
Old 5th March 2009, 23:44   #129
BHPian

@GTO could you please post a pic of the custom plumbing that you have done on your car.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:33   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing, are 16" tires feasible on a stock OHC 1.5Exi ? Or would i have to widen my car ..
16" have been put in OHCs. I think KSM-Vtec has them. But the ride becomes very harsh and it takes a huge toll on the suspension. Don't upgrade more than 15" and not wider than 205s.
Old 8th March 2009, 08:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
16" have been put in OHCs. I think KSM-Vtec has them. But the ride becomes very harsh and it takes a huge toll on the suspension. Don't upgrade more than 15" and not wider than 205s.
A doubt, if i keep the stock profile as the inches increase will it make a difference ?
Old 8th March 2009, 08:54   #132
BHPian

Quote:

Vijay, thanks for the pics buddy. I'm considering some good mods for my OHC (got some bucks of a blog i run), and it'd be great if you guys could offer your input on 'em.

As part of Phase1 I'm focussing on these areas:

¤15" inchers(after tejas' recommendation) tires & alloys.
¤Air filter(any particular model?).
¤Free flow(should i be wary of anything? lookin for low|mid range).
¤And a package of cosmetic changes, nothing drastic though - a grill change, some decals, normal fog lamps, slits on the headlamps..

Thanks in advance guys !
Old 9th March 2009, 22:21   #133

Quote:
How much did it cost you ? Another thing, are 16" tires feasible on a stock OHC 1.5Exi ? Or would i have to widen my car ..
Yet to get the bill and the final cost.

Quote:
Vijay, thanks for the pics buddy. I'm considering some good mods for my OHC (got some bucks of a blog i run), and it'd be great if you guys could offer your input on 'em.

As part of Phase1 I'm focussing on these areas:

¤15" inchers(after tejas' recommendation) tires & alloys.
¤Air filter(any particular model?).
¤Free flow(should i be wary of anything? lookin for low|mid range).
¤And a package of cosmetic changes, nothing drastic though - a grill change, some decals, normal fog lamps, slits on the headlamps..

Thanks in advance guys !

In addition to the K&N Apollo CIS, I'm getting an Automech FFE (yet to arrive from Bombay), have installed NGK Iridium Plugs and used Mobil Synthetic oil. Contemplating a Standalone Engine Management System from Race Dynamics, will probably happen in about 6 months time when the need for "a lil bit more" crops up again.

You might also wanna upgrade your suspension and brakes to get the best out of your other performance upgrades.

Please read these threads (if you haven't already) to learn from the experts

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...c-320-whp.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...5-bhp-faq.html
vijays15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 22:58   #134
BHPian

Planned a coupla' things now, am startin' to put the wheels in motion:
I'll be getting the alloys next week from Cochin, with a little help from SYJ.
That'll be followed by Green filters from Pete's; I want to go for the FFE too but my friends disagree - it makes too much of a racket they say. Hope there's a way to quieten it up a bit. Where i'm stuck is with the interior parts like the dashboard panel.. :(
Old 10th March 2009, 04:22   #135
BHPian

Quote:
It has an enclosed conical filter which (supposedly) safeguards against (excessive) dirt. Its also supposed to protect the filter during the rains against water from the road splashing on to the filter.
It might also get some cool air into your engine if you had fitted it the way you have it in the third pic. I guess you used up the flex pipes for the wrong purpose.
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote